Ray1965

Leaking Radiator on Vr6 Engine / Replacement Advise Please

A little unclear but below is a photo from the Bentley manual.

It's real easy to get the indicators out, once out you can disconnect them.

IMG_4832_zps98813613.jpg

Bumper removal.

IMG_4831_zps6887936c.jpg

Hope that helps

Rog.

Put a screwdriver in the side of the indicator and just pop them out, they come out real easy, once out they are easy to disconnect...I think the fog lights are disconnected using the pugs in front of the battery and under (or in front)the airbox also don't forget to disconnect the outside temp sensor, its in the lower grill on the drivers side, easy to disconnect from inside the bumper.

Rog.

Cheers Rog,

Thanks for taking the time out to post pics :thumbleft:

fancy popping up to Yorkshire this weekend?

Edited by Ray1965

Will be doing a full coolant flush before taking the rad out of the car.

I do believe the way to do this is to open the drain plug on the rad and flush through with hose pipe in the expansion tank with the car running and the heater on full hot.

I read it that G13 coolant is ok for the VR6 from the dealers, and will need two 1.5 litre bottles and mix it 60 /40? can anyone clarify these.

Edited by Ray1965

Will be doing a full coolant flush before taking the rad out of the car.

I do believe the way to do this is to open the drain plug on the rad and flush through with hose pipe in the expansion tank with the car running and the heater on full hot.

I read it that G13 coolant is ok for the VR6 from the dealers, and will need two 1.5 litre bottles and mix it 60 /40? can anyone clarify these.

The VR uses 10Liters of coolant, and I run G13 with 50/50 mix... So 2x1.5 will give you 3liters of G13 and 7liters of water... that will be 30/70 mix.

Fill the car with maybe 7liters of coolant, mixed 60/40 and then let the engine get warm with the fan set on high and warm. So that the coolant can flow true completely.

Refill until level in the expansion bottle and refill if necessary later on.

Do this in a slight downhill also, then the air will have easier to escape.

Book figures are 8.2 litres, 8.6 with A/C.

I always use 2 x 1.5L bottles of whichever variant antifreeze VW are currently at. As Wompa says G13 is the most current. Mixture info is on the back of the bottle but at that ratio it's more than enough for UK temperature lows.

10L sounds a lot!

Read the bottle, usually mixtures stronger than 50% lead to increased running temps.

I usually drain and flush with a hose before draining again.

Pour in one full bottle of coolant, fill that bottle with water and pour that in.

Use the empty bottle to mix coolant and water to 50% and pour that in.

Keep doing this until the expansion bottle is full, start the engine and run it up to temp with the cap off, top up with mixed coolant as necessary.

There will be some water left in the system from the flush, this ensures the mixture in the engine is less than 50% coolant / water recommended by the manufacturer.

Other colder countries may differ.

You could always have the mixture checked at a local garage using a coolant tester to test the freezing point of the mixture.

New radiator now fitted today blown from pillar to post rained on and every thing else that came down. Took 4 hours not too bad for a novice i think.

Job went smooth tbh and everything came off and back on ok too.

Was pleasantly surprised at the nice condition of the cross member no rust to sort out.

Will be taking the car for a run tomorrow, will be keeping a close eye on the temp and will check for leaks etc.

Edited by Ray1965

Good work :) I'm utterly crap with the spanners but once I got stuck in, even I found it fairly straight forward.

The hardest bit was getting the bumper back over the wheel arch liners... a finger destroying experience!

Cheers guys for your comments. I had my son with me who helped as well it's better to have 2 pairs of hands. Thanks again Chris for offering your telephone hot line if i needed it.

How did the engine change go in Hull?

Edited by Ray1965

Tested all the system today with new rad and squeaky clean new coolant. The cars running temp is approx 75 to 80 when driving.(very strong cold wind).

On idle it never went above 90,(the fan comes on and off between 85-90). All looks good tbh.

We did some testing of the fan stages and got 1 and 3 but couldn't get stage 2 to fire in. I did also find that the 5amp fuse was blown on the fan control unit near the coolant header tank. Replaced it and it hasn't blown again, not sure what this is for, not familiar with it tbh.

Also i have a feeling the aux water pump is not working as i cant here it whirring when the ignition is first turned on and engine not running. The pump should run on after stopping the engine as well i'm lead to believe, and work without the ignition being on.

Anyway the car is 90% good, and at least i'm back on the road.:thumbleft:

Edited by Ray1965

Possibly slightly late, but if anyone else is doing this, I found this guide for removing the front bumper, which for some reason after looking at the digram in the Bentley manual, then my car, confused me. I couldn't work out which bolts to remove:

http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9393

Glad yours has gone well.

Tested all the system today with new rad and squeaky clean new coolant. The cars running temp is approx 75 to 80 when driving.(very strong cold wind).

On idle it never went above 90,(the fan comes on and off between 85-90). All looks good tbh.

We did some testing of the fan stages and got 1 and 3 but couldn't get stage 2 to fire in. I did also find that the 5amp fuse was blown on the fan control unit near the coolant header tank. Replaced it and it hasn't blown again, not sure what this is for, not familiar with it tbh.

Also i have a feeling the aux water pump is not working as i cant here it whirring when the ignition is first turned on and engine not running. The pump should run on after stopping the engine as well i'm lead to believe, and work without the ignition being on.

Anyway the car is 90% good, and at least i'm back on the road.:thumbleft:

Ray do a bit of searching as I'm sure it's a common thing. Sure I've read you can up that fuse to10 amp

With aux pump turn ignition on and touch it, you should feel it pushing the water round. If it's goosed then see my thread about good place to buy em on eBay :)

Cheers Chris. Just seen your post bit late i know. Had internet issues just of late. I'll do some searching about, your going to lol here i don't even know where the aux pump is. Is it near the coil pack / this area of the engine bay?

Edited by Ray1965

Yeah mate right behind the coil pack. It links to the right hose from heater matrix and the bottom hose from the header..... From memory!! I won't tell anybody your lil secret