jamiehamy

Google ads on this site driving me bonkers

Just wondering if anyone else has issues with the google ads pish covering the grey menu bar making it a real pain to navigate about?

I click the wee x on the corner of it, select 'ad covers the page' and refresh the page - and the f***er comes back. Any way I can stop this or move it?

yep, I have had this for a month, asked the other mods about it as it affects both iPad and PC for me but no-one else seemed to have had an issue

chrome is no better BTW:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80473[/ATTACH]

Happening all the time for me too, iPad and iPhone, installed chrome on both but can't find any ad blocking plug ins?

Glad it's not just me! I've tried it on Chrome, Firefox, iPAd and phone browser, all the same. Thought I would try a few before posting, but can't find a browser that stops it, or at least puts the ads in the right place.

Guys, firstly, please don't use software to circumnavigate the adverts.

Doing so will reduce the revenue I get from the adverts, and ultimately threaten keeping the forum's servers as beefy as they are. If I can't afford to spend the monthly outgoings on the server, I'll have to cut costs, affecting the site heavily.

As much as I do appreciate the donations I receive, it's no where near enough to cover dedicated servers and support to run the site.

I'd rather we worked together to figure out why it affects so few of you, but in all browsers!?

I still fail to reproduce this with all the browsers I have, logged in, logged out, logged in as test users...

Which ISP are those who are having problems with?

Do you have the same problem if you visit the site via http://direct.the-corrado.net/forum.php ?

Can you try clearing your internet caches, too, just in case?

Thanks.

Likewise Andi - I don't run into this issue at all, and I use just about every browser going on both MacOS and Windows on a daily basis. It's really weird how it seems to be affecting a small number of users.

Doing so will reduce the revenue I get from the adverts, and ultimately threaten keeping the forum's servers as beefy as they are. If I can't afford to spend the monthly outgoings on the server, I'll have to cut costs, affecting the site heavily.

As much as I do appreciate the donations I receive, it's no where near enough to cover dedicated servers and support to run the site.

I'd rather we worked together to figure out why it affects so few of you, but in all browsers!?

I still fail to reproduce this with all the browsers I have, logged in, logged out, logged in as test users...

Do you have the same problem if you visit the site via http://direct.the-corrado.net/forum.php ?

Thanks.

Hi Andi,

It still happens when I use the link you provided, I'm using my iPhone 5 with latest software update done, tried on safari and Google chrome, at work I'm using wifi from BT and at home I'm on SKY. Exact same on iPad. I'm afraid I don't know how to clear my internet cache on this?

Oh, and I wont download any anti advert software:)

I don't get it either using Firefox at home or work but I do using Chrome via my Android Phone.

Ian.

Doesn't that show you the mobile version, though? Rather than the full site?

Hi Andi,

It still happens when I use the link you provided, I'm using my iPhone 5 with latest software update done, tried on safari and Google chrome, at work I'm using wifi from BT and at home I'm on SKY. Exact same on iPad. I'm afraid I don't know how to clear my internet cache on this?

Oh, and I wont download any anti advert software:)

So every browser, in multiple locations?!

All those affected... have you all Donated at some point, and therefore you account status changed?

Oh, and more screenshots please..

I'm trying to work out something common between the affected users!

Thanks.

It doesn't affect me if I use the link above

I have the problem on TalkTalk at home and My work (open.ac.uk)

strangely on my Samsung mobile (full desktop view switched off but not the mobile version of the site) the ad appears under the menu options, so they work, but it's still positioned incorrectly

if I switch desktop view option on, then the ad goes over the top of the menu!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80485[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]80486[/ATTACH][

If it helps Andi, I'm not having any issues at all with any of my devices.

Windows PC and Virgin ISP at work

Android (4.4.4) phone on O2 network 3G, Virgin or Sky ISP (work/home)

iPhone 5 on EE network or Sky ISP

iPad mini on Sky ISP

Can do you a load of screen shots if you like? I tend to run the full site even on my mobile

No problems on iPhone 5 with "atomic web" browser. It's own ad blocker is not enabled.

Edited by Tigerfish

Likewise Andi - I don't run into this issue at all, and I use just about every browser going on both MacOS and Windows on a daily basis. It's really weird how it seems to be affecting a small number of users.

Neither do I and to be honest, I don't care about adverts anyway. Plenty of other websites I use have adverts too, it's just how the internet is quickly becoming. I blame Minority Report.

I'm not fussed by them either, it's just that they are covering the control buttons, meaning I can only click on the banner to see new posts