Drucey

£177 vw want for a heater matrix!!

Hi, just been to vw and they want £177 for a new heater matrix. Are they the best place to go? you can get some for £40-50 on eBay but I'm guessing there just crap copy's? Can somebody help me out with a link to a good reliable matrix or should I play safe a go with one from vw? Thanks

I got mine from GSF £35 - £40 4 years ago. I can't remember the make but it was a quality brand, Hella / Valeo or similar

I got a Hella one from GSF about 2 years ago. Was similar price to what Dox has said for the "Premium" (Hella) one. Valeo made the original and they are still available in various places. Do a search if you want to find where from, they're similar price to the Hella one from GSF. Incidentally, Hella are a good quality brand and fit is spot on anyway.

I do find it depressing. VW simply doeesn't want to support its' old cars, particularly the less popular models. From what I understand of other marques such as BMW they embrace their heritage and try to keep their older models supported. If I weree in the market for a newer car then that would count very much against the brand in my eyes.

I tried to check the price of a MAF with them today... It was 150+ but hey it's been discontinued

£177! VW usually hike their prices up as soon as demand increases. The GSF one is the better option anyway as it comes with the foam gasket you need. It's extra from VW. I fitted a GSF one, must be getting on for 10 years ago now, with no probs.

How often do the matrix blow? Its a job I've not done but I'm sure the Raddo will treat me to it at some point.

How often do the matrix blow? Its a job I've not done but I'm sure the Raddo will treat me to it at some point.

In all fairness I've owned Corrado's on and off for 13 years and last year was the first time I've ever had a heater matrix go on me. They're a common problem in that they fail, but they should (generally) be something you fit and forget - as in most cases the matrix's blowing now are probably the originals fitted to cars that rolled out of the factory 20 years ago!

I have my old valeo one I took out. Was nothing wrong with it and looks quite clean still. I only changed it because I didn't want to take dash off again. The previous owner had changed it shortly before I bought thE car. So 8yrs old at least.

Not sure if it's any use to someone?

I did the same. I'd already bought a replacement but when I removed what I thought was the original, it had date stamps of manufacture from 2008.

Small cautionary tale - might have missed the memo or post when I was doing my searches, but this may help someone who's yet to do theirs.

Heater matrix just completed - and part ordered from GSF, looking at the Hella one - went for the premium item Part No. 178VG0041 . Reg input etc ABV, £37 with discount, all great.

Dash out and guess what - wrong part!!

Matrix body etc slotted into the housing perfect but when offering up housing (with matrix) to the aperture in the bulkhead, it just clashes with the edge of the aperture and does not protrude far enough into the bay to get clips/hoses on, or space for the support/foam.

The picture on the GSF website is correct (not that I knew the profile of the matrix prior) and they do not do another version, as far as they tell me for the VR6. They also admitted they were aware of the issue as returns are apparently commonplace - don't think they have any plans to change the website info either.

Mate rang around and managed to get a Nissens one which was the only one that matched (ie a picture showing the curve) the original matrix's two curved connector pipes, see pic below. You will see the Hella one has straight connectors.

Once you remove your hoses, you will need to look carefully at the connectors projecting from the matrix to check if they are curved - please don't assume the GSF part will fit.

Anyone else encountered this - as I said I may have missed the thread with the info.

Thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81711[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81712[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81713[/ATTACH]

I have just done my matrix, got mine from Gsf and it was perfect. My car is the 1.8 16v tho not a vr6, I went for the premium matrix. Going down the waterless coolant route tho now as I have put a new radiator and fan in also (as it was all drained) hopefully be fired back up this weekend. "Hopefully" haha

Looks like someones picked the wrong part at gsf as i ordered one a while back and it was exactly like the bottom pic but made by hella

Oh no not that same Hella problem again. I did my heater natrix over Xmas and had all of that fun with Hella. I did post the warning about it in here. What I found out is that the Hella unit is the LHD item wrongly labeled as the rhd part. Crap really that they haven't sorted that out yet and you guys are still being bitten by a problem they know about. I got a Valeo unit which is original fitment and did come with the foam gasket. I got mine from Wannapart online who I think were sold to some other business so no longer exist. I still have the boxed lhd hella heat exchanger in my garage so if anyone needs it let me know.

heater matrix popped on mine the other day after only driving the car twice. couldnt pull up anywhere in time so its now cooked the headgasket :bonk:

Cars now being broken which is a shame.

heater matrix popped on mine the other day after only driving the car twice. couldnt pull up anywhere in time so its now cooked the headgasket :bonk:

Cars now being broken which is a shame.

What a pita!