Tobz_mw

50 shades of white valver.

So after a few weeks of looking I finally bought my first rado! After a lot of mixed opinions I decided to go for a 2.0 16v as it is going to be used a daily car so just seemed like a more sensible option to go for as will only be used as a town car!

I was contacted by another forum member Andy (hairyarse) who had the car and he was massively helpful sending me sound 50 pictures of the car and describing all the main issues. Now the car was well within budget but needs bodywork attention and could probably benefit from a full respray!. But mechanically and structally the car is great. With FSH and a whopping great big folder of receipts! And he even threw in a dealership catalogue of the corrados which was a great read haha.

Now there a couple of niggles being that there is an abs light issue which needs investigating but hopefully Andy pointed me in the right direction of the fault and could just be shoddy wiring by a previous owner and couple of advisories on the mot that I'm going too look into sorting.

So after having a lovely two hour drive home in the car the first thing I did was pull the window tints straight off as I think there just not at home on a car like this at all. Please note the car will be get a wash tomorrow! Joys of white cars and winter.

20150202_153429_zps51868cff.jpg

2015-02-02185327_zps3a8fb984.jpg

Glad you enjoyed the drive back Toby :thumbleft:

It looks so much fresher without the tints - I so should have ripped them off as first planned!! lol

Looking forward to your updates ;)

Cheers guys! Managed to give the car a good clean today. Clayed then polished the car to try and bring some life out of the paint! Hopefully getting price sorted for some paint in the next few days so can get it sorted as its really letting the car down :(

Going to look at ordering a full set of speakers as the ones in are crap and have no clarity.

So more pics to follow tomorrow as I will be having a tinker on bits and bobs :)

So more updates first a few pics of it clean. Not the best as its having to live on the garden and is were I am having to work on the car :(

20150204_103351_zps865c4448.jpg

20150204_103402_zpsc19ddfdb.jpg

So next on was to have a look into the abs light! So I knew the wires were a mess so when I pulled the switch out I was greeted by this!

20150204_103459_zps5437be25.jpg

To get the best connections possible I soldered all the wires up and hoped that would be problem solved but on wait.....

20150204_111419_zps22d85f14.jpg

So checked the fuses behind the glove boxes just incase and they are fine.so to save trouble I have ordered a fault code reader in hope that will tell me what it is.

So as that was all I could do on that I thought I waouls have a look at some of the bits of rust starting with the boot handle.

20150204_152419_zps6c2bd28b.jpg

Looks a lot worse than it is and used my rotary tool to flat it all back to clean metal and treared it with rust remover gel to be on safe side and have left that on to cure till tomorrow. And have started to repainting the handle itself as that again was covered in surface rust.

was getting dark and My fingers and feet were numb at this point so decided to took her up in bed the best I could without a garage.

20150204_164924_zps442ce05e.jpg

Hopefully more progress tomorrow!

Looking clean Toby! I can't remember if I told you, but having scanned recently, I'd either get a connection error or no codes at all. Since I owned it I never got any fault codes on the ABS system. Bit bizarre but hopefully sorting the shocking wiring out may be a step in the right direction. :thumbleft:

Did the machine polish help a lot?

Looking clean Toby! I can't remember if I told you, but having scanned recently, I'd either get a connection error or no codes at all. Since I owned it I never got any fault codes on the ABS system. Bit bizarre but hopefully sorting the shocking wiring out may be a step in the right direction. :thumbleft:

Did the machine polish help a lot?

Ah sugar didn't realise you had already scanned it. Like you say atleast that's another problem eliminated. Just gave it a quick hand polish so didn't do a great deal. just going to wait till I've had the paint done then have crack at it. :thumbleft:

Fingers crossed I've found the problem!

20150205_145818_zpsd2476f73.jpg

Turns out someone had taped up the rear offside abs sensor because there so bank breaking too replace! So been down local motor factors today and got some on order for tomorrow costing £38 for both. Just hoping that will be problem fixed!

OMG what a bodge! lol I never checked the rear ones. I think a previous owner had shares in a tape company as many things had been taped. The crystal rear lights that were on the car when I bought it had the wires taped in to the loom, like with the ABS sensor. Same colour tape! lol

Fingers crossed it's a fix ;)

OMG what a bodge! lol I never checked the rear ones. I think a previous owner had shares in a tape company as many things had been taped. The crystal rear lights that were on the car when I bought it had the wires taped in to the loom, like with the ABS sensor. Same colour tape! lol

Fingers crossed it's a fix ;)

Yeah looks that way! Just thought it was easier to change them Aswell seems as you did the fronts that way they have all been changed. Just hope it is now haha!

Nice WHITE car, Tobz!

So this is where Andy sold his car? :)

I just bought my WHITE car too this week.

Your bodywork seems to be better than mine?

But more rust than mine?

Good god,

I have crystal clear rear lights and whole lot of things not working :(

But i am not as adept at DIY/electrics as u - so hope mine fingers crossed have less tape!

Cheers wayne I think they look awesome in white! Yeah this is one off Andy due to is upgrade haha!

I wouldn't be too sure on the bodywork mind the photos hide a lot haha! Yeah few spots of rust round the arches but nothing that can't be fixed haha! Just think who owned the car before Andy just didn't care for the car and just bodged everything :(

Anyway onto today's update! Didn't pick sensors up till late afternoon so going to fit them tomorrow.

Decided I would do a few subtle changes and see how I like them. Started by getting some orange film and put it over the front indicators as finding some U S spec ones.think it breaks it up a little more.

20150206_134624_zpsadea7672.jpg

Then next thought I would have ago at tinting the rear lights red as again I think it looks fairly good on the corrados! Not too sure on them yet will see if they grow on me as I don't want too change the car to much!.

20150206_132507_zps6fbc2cd2.jpg

IMG_20150206_162107_zps6bbe83ea.jpg

So that was that for the day and being bored and decided to browse the BAY for parts and came across a bumper with a 90mm splitter on! And seems as thought are £100+ brand new thougt I would try grab a bargain! Well lucky me no one else had a bid haha!!

Screenshot_2015-02-06-17-38-05_zpskwqbfvsn.png

Blimey, bargain bumper toby!!! :)

The red rears are looking ok but not too sure on the front orange. I think it's too orange. If more translucent I think it would look ok ;)

That abs sensor isn't taped up. The coils are heald in place by that yellow sleeve. There's an outer casing over the top of it which is assume is still stuck in your hub though. They're a nightmare to get out without removing the brake disk and forcing them out!

Also it's worth upgrading the rear indicators to super bright led as they will flash red, and be an MOT failure.

Cheers Tobz

I agree!

It was the WHITE Corrado s that caught my eyes (and not the other colours).

I am hoping to get someone to fix the spot rusts after Easter (after timing chain replacement)

It sounds like we may have a competition to who has the most problems with our cars - lol

But good luck with it all - at least u know what I doing :)

I don't! :(

Forgot to say,

I always like the US / Jap looks of AMBER lights - especially the fogs.

But more YELLOW than ORANGE.

But, at 2 minds about whether it looks cleaner with clear lenses.

And I do know what u mean Tobz, about breaking up the lines a little with a splash of a different colour ...

My side indicators are amber, I want to replace them with CLEAR ones too...

Blimey, bargain bumper toby!!! :)

The red rears are looking ok but not too sure on the front orange. I think it's too orange. If more translucent I think it would look ok ;)

Yeah when I bought it I thought it would be more transparent and after seeing a few with orange fronts it is way to orange! Haha.

Oh okay I just thought someone had taped it up and managed to get old sleeve out but was a right pain! Also going to order some new led bulbs for the rears tonight! I've been told you need to put green leds in the reverse to counteract with the red tint I don't know if that's right or not?

The only other colour I think I would have over white is the blackberry! Yeah seems that way with the problems! My ABS is sell on after changing all the sensors :( yeah going to need the good luck aswell.

I like the fact it does just break it up abit I decided to go with orange indicators as my current run around has yellow fogs so thougt I would try something different!

With regards to the clear indicators I just took mine off so if your wanting some your more than welcome to have mine as I was only going to throw them in the shed. :thumbleft:

Hey local owner,,like what you've done so far ,apart from maybe the mega orange indicators,,,don't lam inex do an orange tint? Might give a better result.

Hope you sort the abs problem out,I ditched mine when I smoothed my bay and the brakes are so much better now..

Hey local owner,,like what you've done so far ,apart from maybe the mega orange indicators,,,don't lam inex do an orange tint? Might give a better result.

Hope you sort the abs problem out,I ditched mine when I smoothed my bay and the brakes are so much better now..

Hey! I think your friend sent me a link to your build! Awesome work man! Hope you don't ever bring it out when it's finished and make mine look total crap haha! Yeah think I'm going to get orang tint instead. Didn't realise it would be so orange as ordered some yellow off the same company and it was fine!

Well if I can't sort it with changing the abs ecu I think I will just ditch it!