Reverend Frog

Very unusual - VR6 won't crank/start

Tried to start my VR there and when i turned the key, everything just stopped working - dash lights, interior light, everything just went out instantaneously. The car didn't even attempt to turn over. There was a small 'ping' from the fusebox, or so I thought anyway.

Left it five minutes and when i opened the door the courtesy light came on - good sign, or so I thought.

So I tried again. I did have headlights, dash lights etc, as before.

Everything was once again working on position 2 on the key, but when I tried to start it for the second time - dink - same thing. Shutdown. This time it was permanent - no central locking now, nothing.

it's almost like trying to start is just shutting all the electronics off.

any idea what this could be? This is very annoying!

Dead battery. You have enough juice to light everything, but the current demand of the starter shuts everything down. Very apparent in this weather especially.

The ignition switch wouldn't cause everything to shut down if it failed, unless it broke between run and start. It's a common problem, but that doesn't mean it's your problem this time. Do you have history of the car struggling to start?

Another cause of the car going click and failing to start could be bad earth points between the block and the battery/chassis. But that wouldn't explain your complete electrical failure.

If the x relief relay has failed, that would cut all power except for the power to the fuel pump, ecu, engine electrics and starter. But if they aren't working then either your battery is dead or the relay has failed.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

The ignition switch wouldn't cause everything to shut down if it failed, unless it broke between run and start. It's a common problem, but that doesn't mean it's your problem this time. Do you have history of the car struggling to start?

Another cause of the car going click and failing to start could be bad earth points between the block and the battery/chassis. But that wouldn't explain your complete electrical failure.

If the x relief relay has failed, that would cut all power except for the power to the fuel pump, ecu, engine electrics and starter. But if they aren't working then either your battery is dead or the relay has failed.

The car has never had any bother starting before now. need to check it out tonight. could any number of things by the sound of it! But hopefully just the battery

Does sound very battery like. When was the last time you ran the car? Out of curiosity, you could try turning the key to the starting / cranking position then try waggling the key a bit - if the ignition switch is duff, that movement might make it suddenly start then at least you'll know.

The car gets run regularly enough, three times a week or so. Last time was Sunday. But then it's been very cold since then, and perhaps the journeys I've made haven't been enough to charge the battery.

Yeah - quite possible. The cold weather of course reduces the power of the battery and of course the engine is harder to crank. If you can just get it out of the car and trickle charge it, you can just rule the battery out and then start doing some other investigation.

where abouts are you ? ive just sold my vr6 but due to an argument about a battery under warranty i had to put a new one on it to get the sale, then the battery people replaced my battery a day later so i currently have a brand new battery with no corrado to put it in that you can have for cheap if you are local ? I'm near Coventry by the way.

Classic symptom of a dead battery. Swap it over/charge it/jump leads first. My motto with this sort of thing is check the simple thing first. All to often these things can be overthought and things poked which should not be poked. By the time you have, say, replaced the battery and it starts you then find you have mucked up other things and now have to try and sort them out.

Welldone for getting it sorted.

Sometimes reading on the net to much, can make you feel its going to be more serious then it actually is.

That's so true, you expect the worst! Driving along the other day my coolant light started flashing. I look for somewhere to pull over and I'm thinking about all the possible terminal issues it could be.

Then remember to check the coolant and sure enough it had dropped to minimum!

It's easy to forget checking the basics /obvious sometimes lol

That's so true, you expect the worst! Driving along the other day my coolant light started flashing. I look for somewhere to pull over and I'm thinking about all the possible terminal issues it could be.

Then remember to check the coolant and sure enough it had dropped to minimum!

It's easy to forget checking the basics /obvious sometimes lol

Yeah but.. without trying to freak you out, the cooling system is a sealed system. Coolant shouldn't be consumable, so it must have gone somewhere - be that a leak or something. So you probably want to keep an eye on it!

Yeah but.. without trying to freak you out, the cooling system is a sealed system. Coolant shouldn't be consumable, so it must have gone somewhere - be that a leak or something. So you probably want to keep an eye on it!

Sorry Jim I didn't put the full story up! This I know, I found the leak (eventually after a lot of poking around) to be from a hose connected to the thermostat housing. Tightened the jubilee clip and so far, no more leakage ;)