Wayne2015

White VR6 in Windy Yorkshire! :)

If you've got 1000 miles left in the brakes, why replace them? (unless your brakes are really bad?)

Hi Andy

Garage said a couple of 100, maybe a 1000.

So dont want to be 1/2 way through my Easter hols and stuck with no brakes :(

Think by the time i meet up with VagHag to do brakes it ll be a couple of 100s already!

PS: Thanks for continuing to look after my pennies ;)

And hoses with banjos - im using the goodridge ones - think there are possibly cheaper options?

So front

MK3 Callipers £60 inc the carriers

Carriers

Hoses (with banjo)£70

288 discs £70

Pads - £35

Plus refurbing the callipers and fitting - think that's around £150 inc vat

Ok

Too much - LOL

Only calipers/carriers for now :)

If you're replacing the front lines with braided, you are best of replacing the remaining 4 flexi lines. When you replace rubber with braided, the pressure that would normally cause the rubber to swell slightly will be transmitted to the other soft rubber lines. If the lines are a bit old, you will be causing extra undue strain on them and shortening their lives quickly.

The calipers are available from a lot of the faster mk4 base golfs/audis/seats/skodas etc and are cheap as chips. You can use mk4 calipers and carriers. The only part that you must use that is mk3 is the discs themselves. They must also be the late discs otherwise you will be fitting 280 back on! Don't use mk4 288 discs, they are a different offset and don't bolt straight on.

Too much!

LOL

Just need to check what brakes i got with garage 1st ...

Chuggs, I got my complete braided lines from c and r enterprises online. Cost about £70 but you can pay more depending on if you want plated or stainless unions. It is sold as a conversion kit for fitting mk4 rears and 288 fronts. I'd get you a link but I'm not on a laptop.

For future reference, 312 and 288 calipers are one and the same, the only difference being the larger carrier and discs and a 6mm spacer. You do need a minimum of 16s though.

If costs are a bit high now. Keep the brakes you have, they are more than likely OK and the garage are just after more of your cash. Give it a month, 2 or 3 to collect the parts and then you fit nice new parts everywhere knowing that you don't have to change anything in the next few years.

Chuggs, I got my complete braided lines from c and r enterprises online. Cost about £70 but you can pay more depending on if you want plated or stainless unions. It is sold as a conversion kit for fitting mk4 rears and 288 fronts. I'd get you a link but I'm not on a laptop.

For future reference, 312 and 288 calipers are one and the same, the only difference being the larger carrier and discs and a 6mm spacer. You do need a minimum of 16s though.

If costs are a bit high now. Keep the brakes you have, they are more than likely OK and the garage are just after more of your cash. Give it a month, 2 or 3 to collect the parts and then you fit nice new parts everywhere knowing that you don't have to change anything in the next few years.

Thanks Sean

Well I maybe OK - I did a bit of a booboo and bought the hoses for my rears before deciding to do my fronts and bought them from another company with the MK4 callipers.

I then decide to do the fronts so contacted Roy and C&R and he is getting the fronts for me - I didn't specify much other than hoses for the fronts - so I may well be getting more that I think?

Actually may just fire a message off for him - so how many hoses are there in total - I seem to think the kit contains 6 ?? I have 2 for the rear already and have ordered hoses for the front from C&R

Ok

Too much - LOL

Only calipers/carriers for now :)

Excellent info/tips, Sean + Chuggs! :)

Just been round to my garage.

Garage confirms I have standard calipers and 288 disc would easily fit inside the aftermarket wheels.

£150 looks tempting now ....;)

6 flexis on Corrados, 2 front calipers, 2 rear calipers and 2 body to rear axle.

You'll be able to recover some of the cost by selling the front calipers and carriers as suitable for 280mm G60 conversions (£40-£50 in usable condition)

6 flexis on Corrados, 2 front calipers, 2 rear calipers and 2 body to rear axle.

You'll be able to recover some of the cost by selling the front calipers and carriers as suitable for 280mm G60 conversions (£40-£50 in usable condition)

OK

I confused what is flexi / body?

Is it worth upgrading both front AND back to 288?

How much improvement / difference is very stock?

Pretty sure you cant upgrade the backs to 288 - the rear upgrade is to reduce issues with stock callipers seizing I believe

The increased braking performance is only from the fronts being upped to 288 and larger callipers and pads

The new news to me is around the additional hoses that i wasn't aware of so have now boobed and bought rear separate from front and now don't have the middles - if I had bought the lot on one go they are 115 for the set as it is ai have paid £50+ for rears and now £72 for the fronts. So will have to see what the mids will cost arghhhh! Thought I had fully researched that before I bought! but nope!

The new news to me is around the additional hoses that i wasn't aware of so have now boobed and bought rear separate from front and now don't have the middles - if I had bought the lot on one go they are 115 for the set as it is ai have paid £50+ for rears and now £72 for the fronts. So will have to see what the mids will cost arghhhh! Thought I had fully researched that before I bought! but nope!

OK

I ain't doing ANYTHING until Chuggs fits his!

;)

OK

I confused what is flexi / body?

Is it worth upgrading both front AND back to 288?

How much improvement / difference is very stock?

Dox is talking about the flexible brake pipes that are fitted to a corrado.

:thumbleft:

You'll be wanting for something to go wrong now so you can use it! lol. Worth a scan though when you get the car back from the garage.

:thumbleft:

You'll be wanting for something to go wrong now so you can use it! lol. Worth a scan though when you get the car back from the garage.

No!

Dont say that!!!

Lol

Yeah

Will be a constant nerd now plugging in car each day :)

Update

Still no news from garage

Guess part from Greece not arrived yet :(

Update

As NEW radiator is non-VW,

after fitting the Radiator Top Flange (Coolant housing from Greece),

garage thinks radiator is not manufactured correct ...

So another is ordered.

Does sound like the garage is very good though,

if not perfect - they will make sure its perfect! :)

Thats a pain in the arris Wayne. My radiator is a hella one. Best of whats left from what I hear, so probably worth investing in one of those. My rad elbow (flange) fitted straight on without any bother, and all mountings and holes for mounting the the fans etc were perfectly placed.

Thats a pain in the arris Wayne. My radiator is a hella one. Best of whats left from what I hear, so probably worth investing in one of those. My rad elbow (flange) fitted straight on without any bother, and all mountings and holes for mounting the the fans etc were perfectly placed.

Thanks Sean

I will enquire what brand the garage ordered...

Nice to finally meet u today Sanky :)

Your car is in immaculate condition too!

Thanks for lending me your Soldering Iron set for me to fix my Honda fog lights :)

996FFCBB-345C-43F8-86DF-96158722F790-2675-0000052AFA9A27B8_zps6140bdc4.jpg

Update from garage:

1. Radiator not fit

- They went for EIS last time

- Now they ordering from HELLA - yay! (thanks Seanl82 :))

2. Changed brake fluid

- Garage have bled clutch

- but NOT ABS Pump NOR Brake Master Cylinder!

- have told them to bleed the above two now (thanks to Seanl82 again ;))

Garage bill going to topple £1,000 now isn't it? :(

Update from garage:

2. Changed brake fluid

- Garage have bled clutch

- but NOT ABS Pump NOR Brake Master Cylinder!

- have told them to bleed the above two now (thanks to Seanl82 again ;))

Garage bill going to topple £1,000 now isn't it? :(

Having all my brakes done today and new back tyres as looks like the ones on there are 10 years old. Expecting a nice bill myself - I have shown them the info about bleeding ABS and clutch etc. too although it looked like they knew that already by the look they gave me ha-ha! - but thanks for the info too!

Having all my brakes done today and new back tyres as looks like the ones on there are 10 years old. Expecting a nice bill myself - I have shown them the info about bleeding ABS and clutch etc. too although it looked like they knew that already by the look they gave me ha-ha! - but thanks for the info too!

Chuggs u got a better garage than me then!

Unless my garage decided not to do it so as not to add on top of the £1000 bill already - eeeeeek!

How much per hour is your garage if u don't mind me asking (or is per job)?

Im sure they have an horly charge but not asked them - I have been supplying parts and priced per job - think it works out cheaper (slightly) although causes me some stress as to did I but the right parts - - will know the answer to that by tomorrow ha-ha!

Will also let you know the price they charged for each bit of the job as they tend to itemise the bill.

Also doing the tracking as that's out and there is a slight knock - not sure if its a bush or engine mount?

Also asked them to do a full condition report of the underside which they are doing for free

Wayne, that bulb you repairing what's on the end of the wire, is it a spade connector?

As I'm sure all you needed was a new H3 bulb

Im sure they have an horly charge but not asked them - I have been supplying parts and priced per job - think it works out cheaper (slightly) although causes me some stress as to did I but the right parts - - will know the answer to that by tomorrow ha-ha!

Will also let you know the price they charged for each bit of the job as they tend to itemise the bill.

Also doing the tracking as that's out and there is a slight knock - not sure if its a bush or engine mount?

Also asked them to do a full condition report of the underside which they are doing for free

Yes

I agreed - per job is cheaper!

Thanks

Not been to the Magic Roundabout for a long time .... ;)