deamon90002004

suspension....undecided

Hey all, i have a g60 91 no ac with standard suspension but with vr6 top mounts and spring caps, its started sagging on the driverside so want to change the suspension, im thinking vr6 setup, but according to the parts data base there is 6 variants all with different colours for springs and then shocks.

Im after an oem look with the slightly stiffer ride in the bends hence factory setup, but not a clue what im looking at or the meanings of the colour bands

I have the spring plates for both early and late models due to an ordering cock up i did

Edited by deamon90002004

I know that from all the different suspension i've had that a lot of the aftermarket springs are designed with the larger diameter top coil so you have to use the early/larger spring plates. I wanted to keep mine with late top mounts and late spring plates so went with H&R springs, Pi springs also work with later stuff.

I was tempted to try H&R springs with factory shocks (sachs advantage or boge turbo), i do have the sachs shocks on the rear and konis on the front but am going to remove the rear shocks and put the konis back on as the back end is sitting slightly lower that the front and looks wrong.

What is your budget?

Not really got one yet, gotta save up, but its just front drivers that is sagging, but will do it all,rears have sachs on and look like newish springs, but was hoping to stay some form of factory, as i have a rieger splitter to go back on, so cant drop it or drop it much at all

If your after a standard set up and not on a smaller budget go for a Bilstein B12 set up. You cant beat it, I have recently replaced the original suspension on my Mk4 golf with this kit and its superb, I can honestly say it rides better than the factory suspension I had. Absolutely no crashing about over bumps etc. but it also provides superb handling so you get the best of both worlds. I changed the top mounts at same time always worth doing. My Mk4 Golf is like a different car now and I finally enjoy driving the thing.

I have the KW V1 kit on my corrado whilst the handling is superb and its not to crashy because I havent get them wound down to silly levels, I think the B12 kit is the better one to go for if you want a factory set up.

I'm going to be fitting B12's next week so I'll give my feedback then. So far, everything about B12 on the Corrado has been positive, so fingers crossed!

im still debating factory dampers and lowering springs (eibach) can't be bothered with coilovers unless im gonnna spend a bomb load on them, or another good brand who does a combi springs and shocks?

I fitted B12's yesterday. They are fantastic! They're not coilovers by the way, they are Bilstein B8 Shocks with Eibach springs.

They're oil shocks which are replacements for the standard ones. The B8's are uprated gas shocks. Not available from your standard motor factors really. Available from Demon tweeks, larkspeed, Awsome GTI...........

is this the kit you have? which top cap did you use, early vw, early vr6 or late vr6, as i have all 3, and what does it mean drops the front 25-30mm, cos i don't see how it can do that?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/suspension-kits/car/volkswagen/corrado-g60/1991/1-8/eibach-b12-pro-kit-suspension-kit-with-bilstein-b8-dampers-lowers-front-25-30mm-and-rear-25mm

Thats the one. Give them a call if you're unsure. I have a late vr6 so needed the plus axle version (can't remember the part number). As for rear drop, depends if your boot or fuel tank is full I suppose!

Yeah sorry its front drop 25-30mm :bonk:

That'd be my guess. All plus axle I believe are late 5 stud, so that would include 8v and 16v? I may be wrong though. Plus axle may be vr6 only........... :shrug:

That's a range of drop you can expect. Chances are it is 27mm on most cars but they are covering themselves incase they said you got 30mm and you only got 25mm. Things like amount of screen wash, the type of battery etc can vary the drop slightly. It will also matter how worn your upper mounts are, of they are worn, then you will sit 30mm lower than a standard car with fresh mounts for example.

The back varies as Sean said on amount of fuel in the tank and whether you have other rubbish in there.

Plus axle cars are the 5 stud cars as a general rule of thumb.

plus axle i've heard is 5 stud/wide track, im the good ol' 4 stud, will have to do some research as to which ones i need, even though i don't see a difference, apparently hub mounting holes are the same, eibach springs are the same part number, so guessing late vs early models

The main difference is in the geometry of the top of the shock in comparison to the bottom. 5 stud cars are all wide track and 4 are all narrow.

righty then, i've got vr6 top mounts and bearings, all seem to wear out quickly on the passenger side, i jack the car up, the strut drops and wiggles around too freely, driver side is rock solid when jacked up, but weird thing is driver side has sagged and is solid, passenger side hasn't and feels sloppy, bit of a **** take to be fair. so was hoping a new suspension system fixes it

it was the original g60 ones that had gone, it went in for some work and they took it for a test drive and heard a clunk, and saw they had gone, and was told if gonna put new ones in, use vr as they are a better quality and give better handling

I've not heard of the VR stuff being an upgrade before? If it were me, I'd put the stuff designed to go in there and have done with it.