sexybourbon

Spal fan wiring and constant full speed dash switch

I tried using two jewellers screwdrivers but didn't get far - didn't seem to be anything to press down or lift up??

Shaun the plan is to fit these into the two sides of the connector used on the Golf Mk 5 which are widely available. But as Swifty is saying the pins are a different size so i might just cut off the old connector and fit the spades of the Golf one, or just get the other side and fit that to my new fan loom

I mean, once you get your plugs sorted are you just going for one speed, full power, or are you going to try and get the fan to produce 3 speeds using resisters or such. What have you done with your loom.

sorry, misunderstood you.

Well i thoight i'd just wire it as per the loom in the thread bu i might get some ceramic resistors and connect those, depending on space and where to mount the resistors. Thanks for the reminder. My current ones are wired in directly, but the wiring is awful (done by me when i first installed them)!

Hasan I wonder if you just wired one fan on the first trigger and not the second then at low temps you would just have one fan running. So should be quieter on low temps without resister business. I bet the other fan would never need to come on unless the low temp one packed in. Need to get me one of those plugs too I think this is what I’m going to do. Ready for when my fan packs in and I know it will at some point. Did people use diodes or wire up like in the guide without the need for them.

So one fan is to all three feeds and one fan to two feeds, does this make sense. Wires do my nut in but that makes sense to me. Lmao

Edited by 1xshaunx1

Tried everything to get my fans running right. Still no luck so still on full speed.

Think it will need a compete loom. Fans switchs everything

Tried everything to get my fans running right. Still no luck so still on full speed.

Think it will need a compete loom. Fans switchs everything

Where are you based matey

Good idea Shaun. I'll try it that way. One fan to speed one and both to speed two. This could be bridged to speed 3 just in case

The problem you are going to have if you are wiring up speed 1 to fan 1, speed 2 to fan 2 and speed 3 to both is backfeeding so you'll need diodes.

I didn't bother looking into it as I didn't really see the need, the older fans supped soo much power the 3 stage probably just lessened the impact on the battery. The new slimline fans probably draw less power on flat out than the originals did on speed 1 and are 10x quieter anyway.

If I was going to wire it up as 3 stage I think you end up using a common ground then:

Speed 1 connected to fan 1

Speed 2 connected to fan 2

Speed 3 connected to both but a diode before you meet stages 1 & 2 on each wire

I'm not great at explaining but you'll go through the 4 pin plug from controller, T off to go to each fan where you'll add your diodes.

I'm sure someone more electrically minded will be able to confirm as I find electrical stuff wizardry.

would it be better to have the small fan on speed 1 and the larger on speed 2?

I think I’ll use the same size fans and I think I’ll wire it like this unless someone thinks a different way is better as I’m no sparky but it makes sense to me. You could put a diode on each one for piece of mind but I think that is the minimum you would need, based on you guys are running without diodes at the mo without problems.

As I said I'm not very experienced with electrical stuff myself but looking at that diagram you'd end up with stage 2 & stage 3 powering up both fans, is that the intention?

That’s what I want swiftkid. Only one fan on when speed one triggers two fans on when temps go higher. Found Durite do an in-line 10amp diode. Should be enough. £4 each off EBay

Look at this bad boy. 20 amp draw, I think it would fit where the powered fan sits. You could switch it on manually when in traffic without the engine running to creep foward.

What type of diode is required? Rectifier diode? Seem to be loads of them on ebay

Hasan

Look what got delivered £20. The third photo is the fan part numbers that came with that plug on them the last phot are the numbers stamped on the plug. I messaged the guy to cut off the wires at the fan, and post that, he agreed but then sent me the whole thing anyway. It fits Perfectly. Now to find which one is which, number 3 speed is easy.

Awesome to find the opposite connector to keep it OEM. Mine just arrived today.

I’m finally going to tackle this at the weekend. I’ll be wiring the first stage to one fan, 2nd stage will run both (with a diode so the first stage doesn’t run both) and 3rd stage will instead be wired to an OEM de-mister dash switch and will also run both fans.

Ive changed my connectors to the newer Mk5 ones. I'll post up some part numbers and pics once its all done. Unclean, like you i'll also be wiring one fan to speed one and both to speeds 2 & 3. Diodes have arrived today.

Incidentally, these will be fitted to the lives so should they be towards the fan or away? Current flows from the negative to positive so I assume from the fan to the controller on the live wire?

My understanding is the diode goes on the positive side towards the fan like in my sketch if you want it to not power fan 2 on speed one. All earths are/can be connected in some way. I also found this while researching, but can’t confirm it.I can confirm that this photo is WRONG !

This is Correct :-

Red & White. - Low speed

Red & Black. - Med speed

Red & Green. - High speed

Edited by 1xshaunx1

No Corrado type plug. Mk5 plug is slightly smaller but you can get both ends of the mk5 plug easier from the scrap yards.

Sorry Geeba that fan with the plastic bracket is off a Sharan, but it’s plug (male)fits onto the Corrado fan plug (female), so you don’t have to cut the Corrado loom.

Think I got my bracket made. I say think because I haven’t test fitted to the car yet. But Corrado people are optimists.

Looks very nice! for 2 x 11" fans? If the fit is ok, would you look to make any more? I'm sure there would be good demand for them. If needs be i can help with getting them made, if a drawing is available