Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Why you shouldn't buy a Corrado

LOL. How many pairs of handles and switches have you been through then Matt?

Try and keep it in perspective, I mean, it's not as if you're replacing switches and handles on a monthly basis, is it?

Not had any issues with handles at all. If you grease them up and don't tug on them like a Gorilla, there isn't a problem. At least C handles don't freeze solid in the Winter like MK2 Golf handles used do.

I would definitely agree the heater panel is very fragile but I've discovered that is down to the Windscreen's bowden cable being F'cked about with in the past, such as by an alarm fitter tie wrapping it 'out of the way' which puts undue stress on it.

So in short.... things just don't break without provocation.

K

I've replaced one door handle, and one headlight switch. My heater controls haven't worked since I got the car, and I can't be arsed to fix them, tbh.

But you know what I mean - I object to having to think twice about HOW to operate a door handle, just in case I break it!

And I think you'll find that no matter how gentle you are with the handles and how much you grease them, they will, one day, break!! :(

And you've had the car, what, a couple of years? To be honest, I'd say that's good going, especially as they are renowned parts for breaking.

Having examined my handles when I colour keyed them, I could not spot any inherent weakness in the design. I'm being serious. It's sound and MK3's use a similar design, but they don't break. In fact, look at an modern Ford and you'll see Corrado type handles.

They break because A) people can be heavy handed with them, B) insufficient grease, C) because of excess strain put on the handle, such as over doing the door alignement etc etc.

Now guess who's handle is going to go 'pop' now I've said all that?!!

At the end of the day, we, as in the forum members, *should* know all this already and have 'moved on' from moaning about handles cause we've all replaced them and solved the problem long ago!

The basic problem with the handle design is not the design - it's the choice of materials. The small striker lever which carries the full force of the handle's operation is a casting which bends and ultimately snaps. It would have been better if it had been made out of some good quality plastic even!

And the headlight switch is the same - the weak point has a poorly chosen material used for it, they would last much longer if the plastic wasn't so brittle (OR if the weak point wasn't so lamely designed).

Anyway, it's not something you can just "replace and forget". I replaced the driver's handle last year, and the headlight switch. There's no guarantee I won't be replacing either of them again next year!

But I know it happens, and I can curse the fools at VW that didn't test this crap enough, but ultimately it won't change anything, so I don't worry about it. But it would still be better if it had never happened...

For what its worth the VR6 burst its radiator the other day and its in having a new VW one fitted. Labour aside its a mere £150 for the radiator. My old E30 325i Touring radiator cost £200+ for a non-BMW rad.

That's precisely what I was getting at Matt, that striker pin is only a weakness if there's undue load on the latch mechanism, such as pulling the door in further to the A/B frame.

Anyway, Kieron, I've had a couple of 325i Tourers too and I think these boys (especially Matt) would swear by a vow of car cellabacy if they knew how expensive and troublesome they can be. There are more things to go wrong on the E30 than the Corrado. I must have spent about 4 or 5 grand on an H reg Diamond Black 325i Tourer and it was no better when I finished than when I started. At least the same investment in the C has brought about *massive* changes to it's personality and reliability.

K

That's precisely what I was getting at Matt, that striker pin is only a weakness if there's undue load on the latch mechanism, such as pulling the door in further to the A/B frame.

Would that that were true - it's not. These things bend and snap with *normal* use on completely original, unadjusted, unmolested cars. That part is too weak - plain and simple.

You've not had any break yet... You're probably blissfully ignorant of how different a new and an old door handle feel!! LOL :)

Yep I know exactly what new handles are like. Got a pair on my car thanks. I bought new ones to colour code over a few days without being handle-less in the meantime.

The old ones are fine and have been on the car since new, if the service history is anything to go by.

The *only* handle related problem I've had is a driver's lock barrel falling into the door because the previous owner fecked around with the circlip that holds to the handle.

As I say, the little latch release 'finger' is plenty strong enough if subjected to normal loads. You are inadequately qaulified to state, matter of factly, that the handles are breaking from metal fatigue based on you have to change *one* of them in X amount of years.

Ok, me personally you're right - one in X years, but then you don't know for sure how old your "old" handles are either, neither do I. But going by the number of people around here who've reported it: I was speaking statistically. As people have said to me in the past, they can't all be wrong...

Meanwhile, I can tell that my passenger door handle is pretty close to breaking point now too, plus my mechanic had replaced "a significant number of these" over the years.

You're confusing, kev. One minute it's "VWs are great", then it's "VT bushes are great" and then it's "Corrados are the worst-built VW".

None of these things are strictly mutually exclusive, but it does get a bit tricky to keep up with... ;)

Anyway, we're turning into the Kev-and-Matt show again. All we need now is Phat to turn up and tell us how much money he saved by doing it himself.. :roll: ;)

You're confusing, kev. One minute it's "VWs are great", then it's "VT bushes are great" and then it's "Corrados are the worst-built VW".

Yep, nothing wrong with that..... fickle car, fickle owner. And I'm not the only one that has moaned about their car one minute, then praised it the next.

You're more of a constant though.... it's *always* "VWs are the worst, most expensive cars ever made" with you :wink: In fact, in all your posts, your Cavalier has received more praise than your Corrado has. Are you sure you've got the right car and forum?

Praise for Cavaliers: all except the engine and the handling...

Which are pretty much the only reasons I keep my Corrado... ;)

nothng wrong with my handles, but when they do break, I'll be fitting porche ones instead.

I think I'll take it to the porsche main dealers and get them to do it, it'll only cost a grand a side then eh? :lol:

Just to throw in my tuppence worth, despite having only had my C just over a month (a steal at just over £2K), I've driven nearly 2,000 miles in it taking it up to 159,000 miles, including taking it to Le Mans, and having it up to 135mph with 3 people & kit in it.

I've spend an extra £500 in addition to the asking price for a new exhaust, repairs to the cam cover gasket, new pads, adjusting the rear wheel bearing and getting the ******* sunroof shut (that's shut, not fixed mind you), all of which were in my budget for buying a C.

There are more things that need to be done, but I bought a C knowing it was going to cost me more to run than a 'normal' car. I don't want a 'normal' car! The Corrado was one of the last interesting cars that VW made... The 'new' golf (which is one fat b*stard IMHO), can't hold a candle to the looks of something like the MK2.

I know I'm tempting fate here, but it looks and drives great! And just think...for the money I've spent, I could have bought one QUARTER of a new Mondeo. I think not.... :lol:

Cheers,

Tom

So Tom that would have been your Corrado I saw at Le Mans :salute: . Was expecting to see more but the place was awash with Porka's and just about every Caterham in England. Went down in a BM touring but will have to use the C next year.

Anyway back to the topic, aren't VW sunroofs all made by an independent company (rockwell) that also makes them for other makes as well. Can't really pin that one on VW.

aren't VW sunroofs all made by an independent company (rockwell) that also makes them for other makes as well. Can't really pin that one on VW.

Yup, spot on that man... good point and well made... (unlike the sunroof mech's! :roll: :lol: )

What ever Rockwell did the the Corrado one, or didn't as the case may be, wasn't mirrored in their other roof mechs of that era, such as the BMW E30, Passat, Golf 3 etc.

I think it's just down to VW not greasing them adequately enough to be honest as it's amazing how the roof suddenly moves a lot better when you do that most simple and cheap of jobs!

Synincal mode again, maybe the lack of grease was another cost cutting exercise like the lower quality castings for the inlet manifold etc compared to earlier cars (when I got them sand blasted this was the owners comments), head light wiring loom, no oil cooler.

Another thought, why use a cable change gearbox? Does anyone prefer that to a push rod system? I still don't feel as confident flying through the gears cos it feels like its going to break.

I know we should all expect things to go wrong on old cars, just don't think their as rock solid as some like to believe. I think thats more down to luck than the build. Well interesting what people think without getting to emotional about it.

Another thought, why use a cable change gearbox? Does anyone prefer that to a push rod system?

Oh yes, I do. When it's all setup correctly and not worn, it's sublime.

I can't think of another car that has a better shift quality, other than perhaps the Civic Type R.

The cable change system has received a lot of criticism over the years. Granted it was hopeless when first implemented but now it's indistinguishable from a well set up rod shift.

Cables give you greater flexibilty in bridging the gap between box and shift lever, hence using them and they allow for much more engine movement without unduly affecting the shift quality.

Look at the 02A as a complete package, so first change all the bushings to make the shift tight and slop free again, fill the box with Redline MT90 (there is no better) and fit some VT engine mounts. That will give you superb shift.

K

I'll add the MT90, VT's and bushings to the list of things to do, maybe it'll help stop the occassional crunch into third when giving it some serious stick aswell. Do use the clutch by the way before anyone says it. :)

That baulking / crunching into 3rd at high revs is precisely what the front and rear VT mounts reduce! Although if you're getting crunching at lower speeds too, the 2nd to 3rd synchro cone is shedded :x A lot of people blame a poor shift on the cables, but if the box is worn, the shifting quality will only be as good as the box's condition allows.

I'm sure the MT 90 and bushes will help you out. My box is the best VW one I've ever had so far. No crunching at all at any temperature or speed and it's almost 100,000 miles old.

K

I have no complaints at all about my cable shifter. in fact, when the 8v was in it was the smoothest shifting car I've ever driven. slightly notchier with the 6 speed though, although I don't know why as it's fully rebuilt and full of redline oil and I have the VT mounts too. I guess it's just down to adjustment issues.

no complaints on the sunroof either. because mines a hollandia sunroofs(webasto) chromolux glass, one touch electic tilt-n-slide which cost about £800 when new!

I no complaints on the sunroof either. because mines a hollandia sunroofs(webasto) chromolux glass, one touch electic tilt-n-slide which cost about £800 when new!

Lucky git!

Is it an external sunroof or same as stock, but a different make?