Roger Blassberg

Backfire on starting VR6

I had a bit of a shock yesterday when I started the VR6. Almost immediately on starting there was a very loud bang, like a firework going off, the engine stalled and a burning smell wafted around. The engine would then start again but immediately die after a second or two.

It turned out that the plastic chamber attached to the idle stabilisation valve had been shattered, by a backfire I assume. Fotunately I had a spare and it was easy to fit, resulting in no ill effects. But I am a bit unhappy or uneasy. Why did it backfire in the first place? The engine runs very well indeed with a good steady idle, good fuel economy and no stalling at junctions. I don't think there is any problem with valve timing.

There is a little bit of timing chain rattle even though the entire timing chain set up was replaced fairly recently - I put this down to maybe a broken or worn top guide rail which is a job to be done very soon.

Any observations are welcome.

Best wishes

RB

Have heard of it happening before, i think its just a case of them getting old and brittle and not a problem with the engine.

The same happened to mine last year. I replaced the broken part and it has been fine ever since. Incidentally the plastic chamber shattered into so many pieces it took ages to diagnose the problem. The AA man even missed it and agreed to trailer me 120 miles to JMR!