daniboy1_2_3

288 mm brakes

Hi there, I've just bought a pair of 288 mm calipers and carriers but not sure what car they are off. I was told they might have been off a mk1 audiTT. Are all 288 calipers and carriers the same?. I'm planning on stripping and rebuilding them so need to order a seal kit bit not sure what kit to order if anyone can help?

I'm also unsure what connection hose will work if there is anything off the shelf?. Appreciate any help with this, thanks

Sorry mate was confusing sets when you were here. The calipers I thought off a tt but the carriers off a mk3 golf

Any kit needs to have the banjo fixing for the caliper

Hi mate, so are the mk3 golf carriers the same as the TT ones? Any reason why they have been used together like that?. So I just need to order a caliper piston seal kit for a mk1 audi TT then?. I was wondering if there was a specific hose I could use that was the right length as you mentioned the ones you had used were much longer than needed. Cheers.

Late mk3 gti, mk4 gti's, mk4 pd130 and up, Skoda fabia vrs, octavia vrs, mk1 tt, audi s3 are only some of the cars which used the 288 caliper and carrier. They are all the same. VW parts bin for you!

Originally they the calipers were with 312 carriers and for sale a while ago. No one vought them so my mate offered the 288 in exchange for the 312 carriers

I am sure for my ones on the turbo I bought mk3 braided hoses

Ok thanks chris. Is that standard Mk3 golf GTI braided hoses I need to order then?. I remember you mentioned yours were too long?

Hi mate again I was confusing you the ones still attached to the calipers you have seem too long. The ones on my turbo came in a kit like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-MK3-VR6-Goodridge-Braided-Brake-Hose-Lines-G11-SVW0604-6P-6-lines-VW-/120862094655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c23f1353f

Twas a long time ago that I bought them. only thing is you dont need the rears

worth contacting if they would sell seperate

Does anyone know the difference between the Lucas and ATE 288 calipers? I contacted vw and big red to get prices for the rebuild parts. Big red told me that the two types are different. Vw can't distinguish between them either. There are some parts big red don't supply like the guide bushes so need to know I'm getting the right parts from Vw if anyone can help? I don't have a chassis number I can supply Vw either or know when either ATE or Lucas were used.

Edited by daniboy1_2_3

My old Bora had 288's which use the same calipers as the TT, the reg was YE52 MWC should be able to use that to order any caliper parts from a dealer.

I can't say for definite but I've had quite a few sets of calipers over the years and changed them for other people, I've never seen a caliper other than an ATE 54mm piston one on a 288 disc.

Post up a pic of the caliper but if it's off a TT I'm 99% sure it'll be ATE and the same as what was on my Bora :)

The calipers I have are ATE. The problem is ordering parts from vw who can't distinguish between either manufacturer. All I can do is use the above reg number and hope that all cars from that year had ATE calipers fitted.