Grrrrallye

Sound deadening / Dynamat alternatives

Morning all.

As I have the C in bits, I figured it would be a good time to add some sound deadening to the old girl.

The roof lining is out (thanks sh!tty sun roof) so was going to do the roof panel around the same sh!tty sun roof along with the boot and as the doors are all stripped down them as well.

Last time I did any sound proofing, there was really only Dynamat on the market but now there are loads with lots of different prices thickness etc.

Does anyone have any experience with any sound damping materials these days?

My big concern is making sure it stays stuck to the roof panel and does not pull down my freshly reupholstered roof lining. It also needs to be thin enough to allow the sun roof to slid freely as there is not a great deal of clearance by the looks of things.

The doors i can see being a big ole pain in the ass. My audioscape pods arrived today :-)) so I don't know if i should line the back of the door skin, the framework or the back of the door card itself? Any suggestions?

From everything I've ever read, Dynamat is still the product to beat.. it's certainly what I'd use if I was going to be looking into replacing or adding to the sound deadening in my Corrado.

Morning all.

As I have the C in bits, I figured it would be a good time to add some sound deadening to the old girl.

The roof lining is out (thanks sh!tty sun roof) so was going to do the roof panel around the same sh!tty sun roof along with the boot and as the doors are all stripped down them as well.

Last time I did any sound proofing, there was really only Dynamat on the market but now there are loads with lots of different prices thickness etc.

Does anyone have any experience with any sound damping materials these days?

My big concern is making sure it stays stuck to the roof panel and does not pull down my freshly reupholstered roof lining. It also needs to be thin enough to allow the sun roof to slid freely as there is not a great deal of clearance by the looks of things.

The doors i can see being a big ole pain in the ass. My audioscape pods arrived today :-)) so I don't know if i should line the back of the door skin, the framework or the back of the door card itself? Any suggestions?

From everything I've ever read, Dynamat is still the product to beat.. it's certainly what I'd use if I was going to be looking into replacing or adding to the sound deadening in my Corrado.

Agree with jim,

Dynamat extreme is the only way to go imo, slightly lighter than the normal stuff but well worth it, sticks like sh*t to a blanket too, so you dont have to worry about it coming of... ever.

They do a bulk pack of 36sqm that should get you started, some sellers i have seen even chuck in a little roller as well, anywhere around the £100 mark is reasonable price.

If coming unstuck is something you are concerned about then i really wouldnt go anywhere else, although acoustic values may not differ greatly the other brand use cheaper bitumen that does dry out and loose stick over time, yet with dynamat it seems to weld itself in place once it has been on there a while.

As far as where is concerned due to the corrados awful acoustic design with the speakers being mounted to the door cards not the door itself you may get a slight sound improvement from completely doing both door skins, but just the external one your main improvement will be a noticeable reduction in road noise, as with the roof. I will find some links to when i did mine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81459[/ATTACH]

Thats when i did my doors, this is silent coat, out skin, and both sides of inner skin.

Below is the entire floor, first stage as you will see was from the seats back, i then continued to do the whole thing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81455[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81456[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81457[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81458[/ATTACH]

Thanks gents.

Nice work lining out your floor EJ. Not sure i have the patience to go quite that far, but having spent the bucks on Genesis amps, Rainbow speakers and audioscape door pods I should make some effort.

Also I always think it make the car sound more solid and so a bit more classy if you line it out

Like it! Reminds me of when I dynamatted the roof and yeah, that did sound classy and more solid to the tap!

I've used damplifier in mine - in fact i've still got about 10 sheets left over if thats of interest?

Thanks gents.

Nice work lining out your floor EJ. Not sure i have the patience to go quite that far, but having spent the bucks on Genesis amps, Rainbow speakers and audioscape door pods I should make some effort.

Also I always think it make the car sound more solid and so a bit more classy if you line it out

Like it! Reminds me of when I dynamatted the roof and yeah, that did sound classy and more solid to the tap!

couldn't be more right, from road noise to shutting the door, makes an all round more solid feeling car (somehow)

also be sure to wear gloves, you dont realize it till after but the foil edges are Stanley blade sharp, and after you have finished you will notice loads and hair line slits in your hands and fingers

Good call on the gloves.

I'm guessing that covering the joints with lagers tape would help seal things a little better?

Good call on the gloves.

I'm guessing that covering the joints with lagers tape would help seal things a little better?

excuse my idiocy, but largers tape? and what joints?

By lagers tape, I mean the stuff they use on air plant duct work, its a silver foil tape, very sticky.

With regards to joints, I assume that I will end up having to butt 2 sheets together in places?

EJ - your post says about a 36sqm bulk pack for around £100, do you mean 36sq foot?

haha yes, sorry habit of the trade ha...

Imagine that though, 36m2 for £100 :grin:

Dynalite is better for the roof,then topped with Dynaliner,

Dynamat extreme for bulkheads,floors etc,

I've used other products,but IMHO.Dynamat is the best out there