Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Joe

Blue Joe's G60 - FIRST DRIVE!!

It's from MPS Performance in Stoke!!!

He is very good and accomadating aswell. I didn't want one from his standard Corrado "mould". I wanted the main hoop angled backto follow the line of the seat back so I wouldn't keep smacking my head off it and also wanted the extra bar behind the headrests to rest the harnesses on. He wasn't sure about putting that in but it looks that good in the car he's now going to put on on his own!!!

I like the fact that the rear seats are still there, makes it look a bit more unique. Good skills fella!

Yandards, fnarr fnarr :D

lol

I must admit I've not given it alot of stick out with it yet but I there is definatly some stiffening up noticeable, but need to give it some stick to really see if it has stiffened up significantly!!

Phnarr Phnarr

is the cage welded or bolted in? I too think the seats would be best taken out. you could easily use hooks and a net to create boot space - and keep them folded or hidden when not required. if youre carrying a few heavy things e.g. tool boxes - then create a 3" lip to stop things from sliding down past the 'boot' space. easy

No it's not just about keeping stuff in the boot space (although I do if going to shows etc or using it at the weekend!) I wanted to separate it out, also to keep my stereo equipment hidden etc as it's worth a few bob. Also as I said above it I did strip it out like I considered I would want to line it all to tidy it all up and that would have weighed far more than teh actual rear seats!

Oh and it's bolted in!

i like the kinda porsche like mentality of yeah I have rear seats - there just not much use AND?

weight - i don't think the weight difference will be at all significant. wouldn't be something i would be concerned about if i was changing to 17" and adding a roll cage!

security - can see what you mean - not sure what you have there but you'd no doubt lose some of it by removing the rear seats. if its a car for thrashing i'd get rid of it anyway ;)

Looks like a nice piece of workmanship, not that fond of cages on anything other than competition cars but thank God we all like different things.

Can see the sense in keeping the rear seats, could the cage be taken out and all trace of its existence in the car be eliminated?

weight - i don't think the weight difference will be at all significant.

The weight of all the MDF I would have needed to line it all the way I would have wanted it would have been VERY significant!!!!

Security was my BIGGEST issue!

could the cage be taken out and all trace of its existence in the car be eliminated?

Yes it could, obviously there will be signs of it in hidden areas

and btw - those seats look fricking awesome. i'd be more concerned about the security of those rather than stereo equipment ;)

it doesn't necessarily have to be mdf

True, but not that many things that I could use that are strong enough, ie wont flex about, weaken and then fall to bits in a year or two as the likes of chipboard or similar would.

Stronger stuff that is lighter the likes of carbon fibre would just be too expensive.

Keeping them was the best compromise there was.

Also I agree with Lippy It was actually a porsche I got the idea of the bar for the harness support from as I was trying to figure a way of having harnesses and keeping my porsche seats when Bill Reeve showed me a pic of a similar thing done in a porsche carrera where they had a cage and also reatined the rear seats to quote Lippy in a I have rear seats but they aren't much use kinda way!

and btw - those seats look fricking awesome. i'd be more concerned about the security of those rather than stereo equipment ;)

Thanks, I've always loved them since I got them, but I think the harnesses draped over them finshes them off and just sort of makes a statement that means business!

were they expensive (the seats)?

i'm sure i've seen a rallye thats had the harnesses draped over the seats from a rear strut bar.

Mmmmmmmm

Lots of new toys arrived over the last few days due to a recent spending spree!!!!

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a busy day

Wow---

The install turned out to be much harder than I originally planned as needed to change how the oil cooler take off pipes ran, I started to tidy up alot of the wiring also.

But got most of it installed however still need to cut down one last ali 90 deg bend for teh boost pipe route. Need a stud extractor to pull out the last few studs for the rocker cover to change them for longer.

Few pics......

Get ready for the looks on peoples faces saying "WTF".

And the old "your gearbox is knackered" comments.

Your going to love it, god i miss mine.

No more thrown belts now then Sam? Or will you be keeping at least one spare in teh boot from now on...

Looking good can't wait to see it running...