Sign in to follow this  
Justin Lumbard

newbie with new car

I've just bought my first corrado J reg 2.0L 16v, and am very proud of it, i am haveing problmes with it and will be putting it in for a Full service and tune shortly, but i just wanted some of you experts out there to tell me what you think of the piccys im going to attach, as pipes on the engine look out of place, the wiring is not tidy and it looks like the loom has been ripped out and stuffed back in, the wiring behind the battery is all over the place, i'll try and put as many attachment as i can on so you can have a real good look.

cheers

Justin

Welcome to the forum and the looms look OK to me on first glance. Later VWs use a rubbish cloth wrapping on the looms instead of the nice plastic sheathing the early MK2s got. The glue dries out and the cloth wrap just literally falls off. VW cost cutting I'm afraid.

If everything works as it should, shouldn't worrry about it.

I'm with Kev on this one.... Welcome to the forum! 8)

Oh, and the wiring's in better state than many of the 1.8 16Vs I've seen, as Kev says, the looming tape used by VAG was crap and just falls apart now... the stuff behind the lights is probably like that 'cos someone's changed a bulb at some point... ;) :)

Pipework all looks nice and normal for a 1.8 16V too, although the injector feed pipes could do with clipping back into their holders just for neatness.... 8)

:oops: I hadn't realised just HOW similar the 1.8 and 2.0 16V engines looked... :?

I'd have sworn that was a KR 1.8 16V engine... :| :o

ha ha i swear it is, it's on the documents unless someone has taken that one out and put a 1.8L in, i'm having it serviced and tuned soon so i'll keep you posted....lol :lol:

Errrm, I think that IS a KR! The inlets on the airbox are the same as mine, but the one's on Phil K's 2.0 16V are totally different - and covered. 1.8 + 2.0 hybrid maybe? :?: :?:

im haveing it Fully serviced and tuned by a Garage called VOLK CITY down in plymouth on Thursday 1st July, i asked them if they could make sure it is a 2.0l. coz i have a sneaking suspision that it may not be.

also i look at all you piccy's of your engines and they all look wicked and clean and not a pipe or wire out of place, and when i look at mine it looks like a mad womans shit. :cry:

i've also contacted some one from the forum who lives near me 'MADUB' who is coming to look over the car, he has done alot of upgrades to his car so hopefully he should know what i need to do with it. :D

That looks defo like a KR engine to me as well......... blue writing on manifold ott though? :?:

ok i think there maybe some thing wrong here, i may have bought i shagged up car,

ok i dont know what info im alowed to give so if you could remove this reply if there is too much...

ENGINE No KR 162329

CHASSIS No wvwzzz50zmk013325

what do you recon,

polease tell em i have'nt bought a RINGA please god NO :mad:

Mine didnt Henny....

You defo have a KR engine Justin - no buts about it.

What year is the 16v mate?

1.8's were until 1991....I personally view the 1.8 KR engine a better engine than the 2.0 anyway - but thats just me :lol:

KR = 1.8 16V engine... (phew, I'm not going mad)

It looks like you've got one of the very last of the 1.8 16valve Corrados if it's on a J plate... 8)

There's nothing to worry about at this stage, you just need to look into it a little deeper... contact VAG and get them to check the reg-plate and see what their records show up (ask about service history as well as what the car should be ;) ) and you'll be able to find out what the car was when it left the factory...

A quick check is to look at the heater controls inside your car... are they 3 round knobs, or are they 2 sliders?

If it left the factory with the KR engine, then it should have a 2 slider style control...

Of course, no one yet has mentioned that it could well be a 2.0 rebuild built around a KR engine like the Oettinger ones were... 8)

ok i think there maybe some thing wrong here, i may have bought i shagged up car,

ok i dont know what info im alowed to give so if you could remove this reply if there is too much...

ENGINE No KR 162329

what do you recon,

You have bought a J reg 16V.... thats a 1991 1.8 16V

Whoever told you it was a 2.0 16v was wrong.... my old J reg 16v was also a 1.8.... great engines!!!

How many slats does your gril l have?

What bonnet do you have ? ____---------_____ or ----------_________--------- (refering to the bonnet shape)

What heater controls do you have?

Are the fog lights / indicatiors recessed or flushed with front bumper?

Does the rear seat have a centre arm rest?

That looks like a Golf inlet manifold to me. If the engine number starts KR like Henny and Scott say its a 1.8. Unless you have proof it has been worked on.

Gavin

ENGINE No KR 162329

what do you recon,

Spend £30 or so & get a HPI check done - that's the only way to confirm the car's full history.

Spend £30 or so & get a HPI check done - that's the only way to confirm the car's full history.

£39.99 on the website, but worth every penny. If nothing else it's piece of mind and interesting to see a bit about the car's history. If you do it online, it's also instant, so you get the results to read there and then.

Well if you look at the inlet manifold then he doesnt have the small casting button on No.1 cyl and it looks like a 52mm manifold i.e bulges out after plugs. I thought they were only fitted to 2l.

i`ve got a j reg 1.8 16v Hpi clear

42mm inlet with no casting stamp? although sonia`s g reg does

recessed spots

early bonnet

early slider controls etc...

did have early grill but now got VR6 one(doesnt fit but i bodged it!)

and NO blue writing!

woudlnt worry but VW should be able to clear it up if your really worried!! (i wasn`t but i`m thinking now..... joke!) :lol: :wink: :D

ok here's the problm then, the engine syas kr so you think its a 1.8 the sliders in the dash board for the heating tell you that its a 1.8 but the problem is that the registration says that it's a 2.0.

i had a hpi come with it as i bought the car from saltash auctions for only £1,200, i have also put the reg in a data base on-line and it says that it's a 2.0 so if the card says it's a 1.8 and the reg says its a 2.0 has someone changed the plates, and i looked for the vin number ans its not there, where should i look for it because its not stamped where i thought it would be under the bonnet just under the windscreen>??? :roll: