Chuggs1

Sunroof Problem - but not the mechanism?

Hi

I seem to have a problem with my sunroof - just been regreasing it with liquid molly so was moving it backwards and forwards a few times to lubricate and tilting - all went well until im fully closing it and is stopped half way but with each press of the button it moved 1cm so after 15 presses or so it was closed - same opening it again each press moves it 1cm and same back again....

Could this be a switch or motor problem?

Thanks

David

What lube did you use. It could be causing more friction which is putting extra load on the motor. There is a special lube for the sunroof.

Liquid Molly which I thought from on here somewhere was the right stuff. But now not sure

Sounds like the mechanism.

The points in the motors go too, so I guess it could be that.

Sounds like the motor to me ,try a mk 3 golf one, they look a little different but work fine and they have the same electrical plug

I bought some of the correct grease, £25 for a kids toothpaste sized tube!!!

Thanks guys - is a motor easy to swap over - whats involved? Will start looking for a MK3 Golf one then - Oh and getting the correct grease of course (£25 for grease ouch!) Was so very proud of my working sunroof too Lol - Well no worrying abouyt hat today - off for some fishing!

Thanks guys - is a motor easy to swap over - whats involved? Will start looking for a MK3 Golf one then - Oh and getting the correct grease of course (£25 for grease ouch!) Was so very proud of my working sunroof too Lol - Well no worrying abouyt hat today - off for some fishing!

Very easy to change the motor, remove interior light and housing, then it's just the 2 screws of the motor.

I bave a couple of spare motors if you want to try one, only over in Gloucester (but in Cardiff until late AM).

Ian.

Hi Ian. Been fishing and only just come back. May take you up on that offer but have things on for next couple of weeks.. Will check in with you soon to see when you are around.... Thanks again... David

Hi Ian. Been fishing and only just come back. May take you up on that offer but have things on for next couple of weeks.. Will check in with you soon to see when you are around.... Thanks again... David

Are you coming to RIAT David, can always pop one in the boot for you?

Ian.

Hi Ian - I really wish I was - especially as its only 15 mins down the road - but that's my Girlfriends birthday weekend and I have orders of what i'm doing|!!! I tried offering this as a birthday present - the bruises have not gone down yet!!!!

The sunroof grease is still available from VW for £28.99. My local branch don't hold stock, but they can get it in next day from Milton Keynes.

I wonder how many of the other sunroof issues have been caused by using the wrong lubricant?

I used the Liquid Moly Sunroof Grease David and it works fine, sounds like you were just unlucky with the motor?

Ian.

I used the Liquid Moly Sunroof Grease David and it works fine, sounds like you were just unlucky with the motor?

Ian.

Thought I was going mad having seen people of here having used liquid molly - tried searching for it again and could not find mention! So glad that's the right thing and was less tan half the price of VW stuff - think I need to be more generous with it though as did skimp on how much I used - but think it does sound like the motor - thanks Ian will speak to you soon

David