Wayne2015

Help Wayne2015 decide next Cheap, Reliable but Fun workhorse!

OK

Not had much luck lately with buying cars.

Some of u know about my C ...

Some of u now know about my MG (no major issues, but ghost of Christmas C still haunts me :eek:)

I have put my MG for sale now, record time for me!

This record beats my last record of selling the C within 4 months of ownership! :(

I just want the following to last me 3-5 years to save money - as saving for house deposits:

1. Reliable

2. Cheap (buy/maintain)

3. No water leaks

4. Fun to drive

5. £700-£2k

6. 5 door hatchback

Optional

7. Auto

8. Petrol

9. LPG

Any SERIOUS recommendations?

Cheers all

My vote would be for something Japanese - a Honda Civic or something like that?

Or an old Merc? (like early 90's) - they're absolute tanks!

My vote would be for something Japanese - a Honda Civic or something like that?

Or an old Merc? (like early 90's) - they're absolute tanks!

Cheers Jim

Honda s already on my list...

Merc s of 90s were bullet-proof and top quality - but think I want to downsize to a smaller car and something newer - 10-12 years old...

Cheers Jim

Honda s already on my list...

Merc s of 90s were bullet-proof and top quality - but think I want to downsize to a smaller car and something newer - 10-12 years old...

How about a bus pass..

On a serious note, I don't think you can do "fun to drive" for 2k and not expect problems... Something like a Ford Focus with cheap parts, I know it will be Mr average car but it's practical.

How about a bus pass..

On a serious note, I don't think you can do "fun to drive" for 2k and not expect problems... Something like a Ford Focus with cheap parts, I know it will be Mr average car but it's practical.

Course u can!

My C was cheap and fun....

...initially it was cheap .....I think

How about a bus pass..

Yes

Looking at a couple of mk2 + mk3 ford focus LPG s.

Mk2 lower mileage at £700-£1500

Mk3 higher mileage at £2-2.5k

I think Focus are cheap to fix

And most importantly very very good to drive?

I've had a Focus for a hire car, they handle surprisingly well I enjoyed tearing around in that but in words of Jezza a hire car is the fastest car in the worrrrlllllllllddddd lol

What ever you buy, check out the vendors before you commit. If they live in a nice tidy house and the car is kept off the road the chances are they will have looked after their car and serviced it properly.

I've had a Focus for a hire car, they handle surprisingly well I enjoyed tearing around in that but in words of Jezza a hire car is the fastest car in the worrrrlllllllllddddd lol

What ever you buy, check out the vendors before you commit. If they live in a nice tidy house and the car is kept off the road the chances are they will have looked after their car and serviced it properly.

Cheers guys :D

Yeah - just take your time and find something that's been looked after. They say at that kind of budget just buy on condition and forget about a full history... but if there's no receipts for work done, and it's on ditch finder tyres... then walk away.

Just go back to basics and give it a good going over.

Yeah - just take your time and find something that's been looked after. They say at that kind of budget just buy on condition and forget about a full history... but if there's no receipts for work done, and it's on ditch finder tyres... then walk away.

Just go back to basics and give it a good going over.

Think u right Jim - think u spot on ! :thumbleft:

Any C Class Mercedes, coupe or saloon would be a good choice.

3 series BMW

:shocked!:

My old E36 325 coupe did 175k miles in my ownership (6 years) and never needed anything engine related bar oil and plugs. Only other thing it needed was a couple of bushes, and they were cheap as chips.

Fabia vRS? I am biased but you should be able to pick one up within your budget. The PD engines have renowned reliability as well as returning good MPG.

My old E36 325 coupe did 175k miles in my ownership (6 years) and never needed anything engine related bar oil and plugs. Only other thing it needed was a couple of bushes, and they were cheap as chips.

Lol

Hatchback pls :)

Fabia vRS? I am biased but you should be able to pick one up within your budget. The PD engines have renowned reliability as well as returning good MPG.

That also crossed my thought.

But prefer petrol

Aren't the PD injectors bit problematic for the 1.9? :shrug:

Lol

Hatchback pls :)

That also crossed my thought.

But prefer petrol

Aren't the PD injectors bit problematic for the 1.9? :shrug:

Not to my knowledge. There are loads out there with mega miles which are still going strong. It's worth taking one for a test drive. They can also be safely remapped to 170BHP which also improves economy:)

Not to my knowledge. There are loads out there with mega miles which are still going strong. It's worth taking one for a test drive. They can also be safely remapped to 170BHP which also improves economy:)

U on the Skoda forum, bud?

Yes. There are some good people on Briskoda :) There is a good buyers guide for the Fabia.

U not read my Audrey thread then....search it and u will find my thread on here is teeny compared to the Briskoda one :lol:

But, having said that I did own Audrey for 18months....

U not read my Audrey thread then....search it and u will find my thread on here is teeny compared to the Briskoda one :lol:

But, having said that I did own Audrey for 18months....

Will have to check it out