charliemcdonald

bose componants

Just wondering if anyone has fitted the bose components out of an audi etc. Want to retain the original look of the inside but want better sound quality.

Cheers in advance

Loads of options for aftermarket speakers which fit in the standard mounts. Hertz,Focal, MB Quart, Infinity, JBL, Rockford Fosgate to name but a few.

Size wise. You have 5 and a Quarter inch in the doors, 6x4" in the rear and 4" in the dash.

General consensus is to forget the rears and move the sound stage to the front if you want to retain the OEM look. The rear 6x4 mounts need a bit of fettling to fit after market speakers, they're too small for decent sound anyway. So you need to fit 6x9's in the parcel shelf (stealth shelf, do not cut the original!!) and/or a sub. Coupled with a good headunit you're in business.

I fitted Hertz Components in the front and Rockford Fosgate in the rear (only brand at hand in that size the weekend I was doing it). New cabling throughout and a bit of Dynamat in the doors and rear quarter to eliminate any rattles and it sounds pretty good. Definitely an improvement on 20 year old, paper coned Nokia speakers. But not a Bass Bin if that's what you're after. I just wanted an upgrade without modifying the looks of the car and having the extra weight of a Sub and box.

My advise would be to avoid the Bose gear. We are in the process of ripping it all out of the other half's TT as its really not very good.

As others have said, there are lots of after market options available

Retrofitting Bose kit from an OEM install wouldn't work that well anyway tbh. That stuff is acoustically tuned to sound good in a particular interior. It would probably sound pretty average in a Corrado!

Yeah they've been doing that since the MK4 Golf mate. They put a specific EQ into the head unit tuned for the interior. Same on the MK5's RNS units. You can actually select the car model if you plug it into VAG-COM!

Always welcome knowledge getting expanded a little more :thumbleft:

Just reading through the corrado comments under "chufties" on page 8 so far. Reinforces why i had to have another and gives you the proud feeling knowing its happens to us all. And laughing at how familiar some of them are lol.