Sign in to follow this  
Storm Monkey

Odd idle on VR

On my way home yesterday I noticed an odd problem with the throttle on my VR. It drove OK, but when lifting off of the throttle, it seemed to be very jerky, like the throttle was sticking for half a second, then dropping of quickly - makes for very dodgy gear changes! When we pulled up at a junction, the engine, instead of idling at its usual 650rpm, was reving from 1000 to 1500, then dropping back to 1000, about every 2 seconds. A little later on, just approaching another roundabout, when I lifted off to stop, it just died. It restarted fine, and didn't put a foot wrong the whole way home. I did do this once or twice last year, but I had battery problems at the time, which lead to the imobiliser randomly kicking in, but got that fixed with a new battery. It always seems to do it on warmish days.

Also, I have some spare cash burning a hole in my pocket and was going to get the bodywork cleaned up a little (stone chips removed), and have it serviced and checked on a rolling road. Can anyone recomend anywhere around north leicester or Desford?

Cheers guys

It's under the upper cable guide. You need an 8mm spline tool to remove said plastic cowling and there she be, the shiney L shaped Bosch thing with a grey plug.

When you clean it out with carb cleaner, give it a dose of WD40 afterwards to stop the valve binding, which is why VRs occasionally stall. You'll see what I mean by the scoring marks on the rotating vane.

K

When you clean it out with carb cleaner, give it a dose of WD40 afterwards to stop the valve binding, which is why VRs occasionally stall. You'll see what I mean by the scoring marks on the rotating vane.

Kevhaywire - Is this worth doing after 97k on a car which has probably never had it done.

The engine runs fine and you always worry about the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" message.

However, most of us are compulsive tinkerers as you know.

(A good reason why many Corrado bonnet cables fail?)