Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Disturbing money spending habit

My car is an investment in fun, not resale value! I really don't care what it sells at down the line. I've built it to give me a good driving experience in the meantime :lol:

My car is an investment in fun, not resale value! I really don't care what it sells at down the line. I've built it to give me a good driving experience in the meantime :lol:

Exactly my thinking :D

LOL.. I spend about £400-1000 a week in our VAG dealership.. I'm hooked.. I have to order a part per day at VAG or else i feel hard done by.. luckerly our customers feed my addiction for my love of the service counter.. There is somthing satisfying about getting a OE part outta a VAG box and fiitting it..

Ohh ye.. plus there is a horney saleswoman in the dealership that looks like 'Shell' off big brother so going in to order bits is a goood excuse to perv..

LOL

Got to say that I thought I was spending too much money on my car but by the looks of things I think its about right but the cars are 10+ years old now so its expected :?

Don't buy a house, buy a Corrado.. Top gear, sure as hell difficult to sustain both. I'm waiting for the classic status to push the prices up.. Shame you can buy VR6's for £3500 now, can't see that happening for a while.

Don't buy a house, buy a Corrado.. Top gear, sure as hell difficult to sustain both. I'm waiting for the classic status to push the prices up.. Shame you can buy VR6's for £3500 now, can't see that happening for a while.

Yeah but they're dogs, so they either won't be round much longer or will have to have a huge amount of work done on them.

You won't find tidy VR's for under £5k, maybe a little less if they have standard cloth seats. Mine was just over £5k and it still needs pretty much new suspension, brakes and tyres all round.

I'd hold off on the suspension until you've tried mine :wink:

:lol: already bought it all.

GSF front top mounts

GSF rear bump stops

VAG rear shocks

VAG rear axle bushes (not sure if they need doing just yet, but I figure it's only a matter of time).

All that lot for a lot less than a pair of after market shocks ;)

But I have gone for the VAG disks/Pagid FR pads combo you recommend :D

I have to say the rear shocks made a much bigger difference to the handling of my VR than the fronts. Don't think there was much wrong with the fronts, but there was a huge amount of movement at the rear that's all but gone now having replaced the shocks and bump stops..

Yeah my front shocks seem fine from a pushing down and watching it bounce view. However the top mounts are so shot that it's impossible to tell what's going on down there while driving. It feels truly horrid, and it's downright scary at any kind of speed, you have no idea where the car is going to go.

This weekend's mission is to do the front top mounts and, as I've got the struts off the disks and pads as well.

One of the rear shocks is urinating itself as well, so that'll be off the weekend after (with new disks and pads back there too).

Hopefully after that lot I'll be able to drive it properly and find out if the rear axle bushes need doing as well.

Oh yeah and I need to do the serpentine belt as well, just as soon as PhatVR6 gets his spare tensioner back.

They move around a lot?

The whole top mount moves a good cm and a bit when you put the wheels lock to lock. They were also flagged up in 2002 as having 'excessive play' and no indication of them being replaced since.

Is it likely that I need ball joints too?

Well I can tell you that no-one ever told me my BJs were gone, but it's definitely improved matters by having them replaced...

Well I can tell you that no-one ever told me my BJs were gone, but it's definitely improved matters by having them replaced...

lol, I think I'll leave em for now. I've already spent £450 on parts this week and I still need to get a full set of boots (5x RE-720's = £288), and possibly labour to do the rear axle bushes.

I'll drive it with new top mounts for now as I'm sure it will make a huge difference. Then I'll worry about fine tuning the handling later.

Oh and I also need to sort out my starting problem. I *hope* it's just a dead sensor, but Mr. Haywire is going to give it the once over with VAG-COM to find out about that.

I should qualify the above statement - I mean that after nearly 120k miles on the car the BJs showed no obvious signs of being loose or damaged, yet they clearly *were*..

Get a Fairly Long bar, tyre bar is ideal and wedge it between the hub and the bottom arm, then lever up and down to see the movement in the ball joints, it should be obvious if they need replacing or not :)

You would think that, and that's what I thought too, but that is exactly what several people have done to my BJs and not one of them spotted any movement at all... Yet there's noticeably less clunking and wavering under load since changing them...

Well I can try it, if they move then I know they're dead... if they don't then they can wait for a bit :)