Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

G60 charger on a vr6?

has anyone out there ever seen this as you often hear about supercharged VR6's but surely if you could get a G60 charger to fit it would be alot cheaper.

I'd think so, with the correct pulley and right amount of porting? :)

50% more than standard?

Two extra cylinders to fill?

I mean it might be good for "up to 230bhp", but a properly s/charged VR is capable of way more than that.

Um yep.. i'd reckon it could do it... Darren has got his g-lader pushing out well over 20PSI (maybe as much as 28PSI if memory serves me correctly, which is more than double standard output)... it'd just involve using a pulley the size of a cotton reel unfortunately, so not really practical in the long term i'd say as you'd be rebuilding the charger about as often as you were filling up with fuel ;)

But as you say, probably better using something more suited to the VR6's big demands. Would love to hear what the noise of a VR6G60 was though! :)

It's not just PSI, it's flow rate.. I can't believe it's that simple..

Anyway, I think we're agreed it wouldn't be perfect.. :)

A VR would swallow up any boost the G60 has to offer far too quickly and be left wanting at high rpms....

You only have to look at the size of the Vortech's turbine to get an idea of what the VR needs to achieve satisfactory combustion chamber filling.....

Besides, you'd never get a G60 to fit on the VR easily or properly.

ok so thats that ruled out, how about fitting a turbo from another car lets say a coswoth or even the turbo off a 1.8T golf the 225 bhp one am thinkin it would be pretty complex but wot are ur views

The KKK04 from the TT 225 would be better than a G60 charger, but you'd need a proper high nickel content exhaust manifold to go with it. Have a look on EIP tuning's website, they sell all the proper kit for turboing a VR.

It's not just PSI, it's flow rate.. I can't believe it's that simple..

Anyway, I think we're agreed it wouldn't be perfect.. :)

I guess thats why I should never talk technical when it comes to cars.. I just don't know what i'm talking about!

Blown touring engine = blown touring engine!!!!

The VR was designed for chilled n/a buring... boost and VRs don't get on.. or do for a short while until they, kill a piston ring, head gasket,etc etc...

True - it's recommended to lower the compression ratio slightly if you're going to run boost on a VR6. Thicker head gasket is the cheapest trick.

Yeah and Blown 8V Golf engine = blown 8V Golf engine and G-Lader :lol:

The VR can take super and turbocharging no problem at all, providing it's built properly by people that know what they're doing. If this wasn't the case, companies like EIP tuning et al wouldn't keep selling the kits by the bucket load in the States.

I was thinkin eventually about going the Mercedes 230 Kompressor route.. would this flow enough?? Or mayb a couple of the Eaton M45 Mini chargers?? .... Is it always best to fit lower compression pistons?

any of you heard about these electic chargers that are being introduced from america, ive seen quite a few on e-bay but it dont seem convincing

any of you heard about these electic chargers that are being introduced from america, ive seen quite a few on e-bay but it dont seem convincing

There was a big thread on them the other week and the consensus was they're utterly useless. You can have a search if you want to see the full 4 pages of conversation :)