Storm Guy

Replacement Fuel Pump - VR6, 2015 and onwards

4 hours ago, _Matt_ said:

That's good, at least there are some options. What attracted you to the one in the link Dox?

I put the VDO NOS one in mine, even though it had a crack on the casing. No doubt one day i will need to replace it.

It was cheap lol. The 2 above have smaller pump intakes and gauze filter screens so will block easier with debris and Gell from modern fuels - if you have a petrol mower drain the tank and see the floaters therein.

I suspect they're pretty much all the same anyway.

All I can think is that we have alternatives and that's a good thing. Flow/pressure, bring it on. An increase in pressure will hopefully give an increase in flow and that's a good thing for the Corrado version. Good luck people. I changed mine and never had a warm start issue since thankfully 

8 hours ago, Cressa said:

All I can think is that we have alternatives and that's a good thing. Flow/pressure, bring it on. An increase in pressure will hopefully give an increase in flow and that's a good thing for the Corrado version. Good luck people. I changed mine and never had a warm start issue since thankfully 

Exactly that, the 4 bar thing just muddies the water and in practice how often do our 30 year old cars go above a license losing 100 MPH or climb a steep incline at full throttle?

If you're big power / turbo'd then you need to look at fuel delivery carefully.

Has it gone in alright?

I got the Bosch one but the part arrived without a wire filter over the inlet. The seller said they're other stock was the same, so ordered one elsewhere to compare.

Otherwise it seems pretty good quality, and comes with installation instructions and all the clips and hoses needed which is reassuring. It's pretty different to the standard VDO type ones you see around so time will tell how well it fits I guess.

2 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

Has it gone in alright?

I got the Bosch one but the part arrived without a wire filter over the inlet. The seller said they're other stock was the same, so ordered one elsewhere to compare.

Otherwise it seems pretty good quality, and comes with installation instructions and all the clips and hoses needed which is reassuring. It's pretty different to the standard VDO type ones you see around so time will tell how well it fits I guess.

It's still in its box lol, too much other stuff going on atm, want to drain the tank as I suspect the pre filter was blocked leading to it going missing and ultimately seized the pump.

I've picked up another one of the Bosch filters and it to is missing the pre-filter strainer over the inlet. Seems a bit odd. The Bosch website says a strainer is included, and there are pictures clearly showing a filter over the inlet, but they're obviously not being made with them. Spoke to someone from Bosch who was very little help.

Not sure where to go from here, I am loathe to install the pump without a filter, but no idea where to get one that fits. 

image.png

Circled in red. You can clearly see the mesh in a plastic ring.  The ones I have don't have the mesh, but the clips are still there. 

I can't work out why this bit would be missing on some. Would Bosch have decided not to fit them? They even have the green QA pen marks else where, just not this bit.

I did actually get a reply from Bosch (were pretty quick to respond on email tbf; the guy on the phone was useless), and they said the filter was deleted in 2022 by the factory, as removing it didn't impact performance.

I find it slightly odd putting it in without, but as Bosch have presumably tested it and found it fine I'll go ahead. The VDO sender has arrived as well, and fits, so I think we are all good to go.

13 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

I did actually get a reply from Bosch (were pretty quick to respond on email tbf; the guy on the phone was useless), and they said the filter was deleted in 2022 by the factory, as removing it didn't impact performance.

I find it slightly odd putting it in without, but as Bosch have presumably tested it and found it fine I'll go ahead. The VDO sender has arrived as well, and fits, so I think we are all good to go.

I suspect the gellifying of modern E10 fuels causes starvation due to choking the pump via the screen to the point the screen gets sucked into the pump causing a bigger issue than the Gell?

Could be, I've no idea. Might just have seen an opportunity to save a few pence on costs with no loss of performance.

Somewhat ironically, I think the cold starting issue (which started this process) may have just been due to a loss of pressure from fuel leaks. It's been sat for a couple of months whilst I looked into all this, so I replaced the battery and it started first time. Might replace the fuel pump anyway as the Bosch seems a good unit and it should give a lot more miles of service than the existing. The Pierburg can be a spare.