Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

ABS sensor price!!!

Must be a rear sensor. They very rarely go, and we all know what VW pricing dictates: more sales = lower prices.

yep, it's a rear one. I knacked it trying to remove it from the 8v axle to put it on the VR6 one. they just seixe in and are nigh on impossible to remove.

GSF do sell 'em and the price is much more reasonable, IIRC.

They're still pricier than the fronts tho.

I can't see why you'd want to go through the pain and anguish of adding another hugely expensive, complicated control system to a car filled with little idiosyncrasies anyway.. The benefits of ABS are questionable - truly skilled drivers don't need it (it's not as good as they are), and for the rest of us it's only very rarely beneficial too.

But to actually answer your question - you would probably have to source and mount the ABS controller (inside, in the dry), plus the ABS pump/valve block, aswell as redoing all the brake lines that are on the car, and then adding the cable routing and sensor mounting components to the rest of the car and the hubs.

I think G60s have ABS, yeah.

Dunno if anyone else has actually done this tho - I'm sure I will have missed something... :?:

on early G60's it was an option, so it's possible to get a non-ABS G60 Corrado.... 8)

I'd have thought it would be a complete pain in the arse...

You'd have to take off the front hubs to fit the ABS rotors, Take off the rear disks to fit the ABS cages, fit all the wiring, brain, pump, pipes and sensors, and then deal with all the normal ABS faults that us poor sods WITH ABS have anyway... :roll:

Don't bother, it's not worth the hassle... :|

Save the effort and spend the money on some advanced driving lessons. Same effect and you have a laugh instead of hours of cursing :)

I think ABS rocks when you are being a loony.... :lol: - you can turn and lock up the brakes (or try too) at the same time ... its great!

I think ABS rocks when you are being a loony.... :lol: - you can turn and lock up the brakes (or try too) at the same time ... its great!

Err it's fun, but it's not good driving. You should never brake and turn at the same time unless you're trying to get the back out. Even if the wheels don't lock you're shoving all the weight forwards and off the rear wheels... which means no traction and an appointment with a nice hedge/signpost/other hard object.

It is useful for emergency braking to avoid the idiot that just did something stupid in front of you. You can bury your foot in the carpet and still concentrate on avoiding them rather than not skidding.

Yes I know ... its not something have ever done in the VR6 but have done it many times in my old GTE 16V... :lol: - just for the hell of it

I The benefits of ABS are questionable

Well it certainly came in handy for me tonight. A Saab 93 Turbo and I were having a little 'fun' down a wet single carriageway when some dozy tw@t pulled out in front of the Saab. If my ABS hadn't kicked in, well, goodbye no claims. It's nice to have it there for emergency stops and we weren't exceeding the speed limit at that point either.

If we were exceeding the limit, then it would take 911 brakes to get away with it as standard VR brakes, ABS'd or not are shite.

Ok, I admit I've taken advantage of ABS too, but assuming you're on the ball enough to not lock the wheels and plough on without thinking (ok, an assumption I know), then it's only going to give you an extra few %, and chances are you'd have missed it anyway...

So the thing is, whatever happens, whenever it happens, because you *have* ABS, you'll never know what would have happened if you hadn't got it! :)

So if you *haven't* got ABS, I wouldn't bust a gut and spend a fortune fitting it, in other words!! :)

* dr_mat's lawyer would like to point out that this is not a contradictory opinion, merely an observation supporting and enhancing the argument further.

;)

ABS is a nice saftey curtain but musn't be relied upon to get you out of scrapes, as I agree, you should be alert enough to not need ABS assistance, but you can't always react quick enough and human instinct is to jump on the brakes at the first sign of danger, and then the ABS will take care of the cadence braking for you, far more effectively than any human can manage.

But driver skill aside, the chassis really does need to be tip-top in order to deploy the full retardation force to the road, and naturally good tyres are a must. My ABS kicked in for a fraction of a second, but all it takes is for that momentary lock-up on non ABS'd car to turn into a full on skid and end up where you'd rather not be, so long live ABS :lol:

Yeah I agree.... prefer a ABS equipped car myself.

I do think the brakes are not so hot on VR6's myself though - they do the job but when used in anger I often get brake fade and lots of heat..... brand new discs and pads too... :roll:

if you're getting brake fade, try changing the brake fluid as this is normally the cause... You'll always get LOTS of heat from hard braking as this is what the movement energy is converted into to stop you, but if your brake fluid is crap, you'll boil it, get air in there which will compress and give you fade... :?

ABS is pap for spirited driving, bu in a moment of sheer panic, when some old bint pulls out in front of you, it's a godsend. belive me, when that happens, all thoughts about lifting your foot off the pedal are gone, and you WILL mash it in to the carpet and lock up, no matter how good you think you are.

sh1te in the snow though :mad: that's how I crashed mine.......

$117.08. still about £70, but better!! cheers.

only problem is, my abs system isn't the same as a VR6 one as it doesn't have EDL, so I'm not sure if the parts are the same, I presume the sensors will be?

There's only one model of sensor listed, and it's common across all the range. My guess is all the components are identical phat, except possibly the ABS controller and pump unit. The ABS controller might even be the same though.

The EDL is rubbish, you won't miss it. It probably wouldn't have anything to do anyway, given that you have a LSD.