VAG-hag

White smoke. Brown trousers!!

Had an interesting evening. Long story short (no pun intended) I fitted a new radio and all went well during the trial fit. (Ie radio still half in half out)

Fast forward to fitting properly and I had the glovebox out so leaned my arm through to guide the loom etc out of the way and make sure it's neat. Then the radio stopped working so I pulled it out and commenced scratching my head..... Before I notice white smoke coming from centre dash and glove box recess. I hot footed it to the battery and disconnected it. On closer inspection it was clear that I had managed to connect live and Earth with each of the glove box light while leaning in. Not fun. I tested the light feed and they are fused together now. The fuse was a mess too but had not popped.

My question to you good people is..... Would this fusing cause the radio to fail or have I goosed that some other way? Also does anyone know where the light loom goes? Doesn't it join the main loom?

Top tip. Keep a 10mm spanner in your door pocket. I did and I'm glad about it!!!

Time for some new pants and a beverage I think

Wow, scary times!

In regards to your stereo, the worse you would have done is blown the fuse. If I remember rightly you got a Pioneer DEH-80PRS, which should have a 10A fuse in the rear, just check that to make sure it hasn't blown.

It's stories like this which makes me think I should get my @rse in gear and fit my battery kill switch!

I killed the ignition switch on my first Corrado while fitting a new radio,I also thought I'd killed the radio but once the ignition switch was diagnosed and replaced(garage) the radio worked fine.

Can't remember which wires I crossed as I was less prepared to get stuck in then

I knackered an ignition switch this way too... Lesson learnt anything electrical fiddling, battery off....

Oh yes!

Wow, scary times!

In regards to your stereo, the worse you would have done is blown the fuse. If I remember rightly you got a Pioneer DEH-80PRS, which should have a 10A fuse in the rear, just check that to make sure it hasn't blown.

It's stories like this which makes me think I should get my @rse in gear and fit my battery kill switch!

You are right deh 80prs :) seemed great while it worked. I checked that fuse but it's fine.

What's weird is that I only seem to have a yellow wire on the pioneer adapter.....

Yikes. Glad there was no more permanent damage, Chris! So much work has been put into your car!

My dash was okay... It was just switched positive that went. Thought I had knackered a new alpine. But worked after changing ignition switch.

Put a volt metre on the switched positive wire on the ISO loom.. Check you have power when ignition is on and and nothing when off.

If you don't have a volt metre you could just use a bulb.

Edited by delfinis38

Yikes. Glad there was no more permanent damage, Chris! So much work has been put into your car!

Cheers Jim, I'll take the dash out again to check it all out as the light loom got very hot so I want to see if it toasted anything else.... Joy!!

My dash was okay... It was just switched positive that went. Thought I had knackered a new alpine. But worked after changing ignition switch.

Put a volt metre on the switched positive wire on the ISO loom.. Check you have power when ignition is on and and nothing when off.

If you don't have a volt metre you could just use a bulb.

Great tip cheers for that I will.

I made a similar mistake . When re installing the interior , I put the headunit back in . I had nothing on the floor of the car at all . One live wire in beknown to me was hanging by the glove box area , during the course of the day it got lower and lower , until it touched the floor pan . Loads of smoke from the head unit and it was shot . Lesson learnt ! .

You plonker hehe. Glad no permanent damage was done mate. Does your abs light and your sunroof switch not work either? If so check fuse 21 i think it is, but you might aswell check them all

I feel like such a div after all the work is nearly done for interior!

Did you toast any loom rob?

No Chris , thank god ! . But the head unit that came with the car was worth a mint ! . Gutted .

i bet your 'heart skipped a beat', did you run like a 'bat out of hell' to the battery.

your gonna have to 'makedamnsure' you don't do it again other wise your will go into 'overdrive'.

lets hope you can 'keep the car running' without any problems otherwise it will be a 'blue Monday'

Ill get my coat

ABS light did not work so I'm going to assume ignition switch is goosed as you guys have found in the past. I found part of the radio loom that fell away which caused this fun fun fun. But that answers why the radio didn't work.

The ignition switch is jolly fun to remove isn't it guys :lol:

So far the overheating glove light feed seems to have only goosed itself and the blue/white wire to radio. Anyone know what this is for?? I'm not all the way back to the fuse box yet though :(

Next point is I noticed a rather rough coming together of grounds: heater control light, ash try light, spare cassette light and radio all kind of glued together.... I didn't like that much. Anyone else found this? I'll be upgrading that flipping mess!!!

This is all fun anyway and I'm learning so.... Never mind

Blue/white wire is for us market, to do with increase volume/speed control iirc. Don't connect it, it'll stop your spoiler raising at speed Chris.