MegsG60

Bloody sunroof troubles!

So yesterday decided to try and locate why my sunroof keeps leaking everywhere! Turns out one of the overflow pipes that should run down to the rear bumper, doesn't seem to be there! So looks like a new one of those.. Then found these.. 287c8657d2f78baaa22cf5498e72e69c.jpg

One of both sides, any idea what they are meant for? I'm guessing its to do with keeping the sunroof cover up when sunroof is up and vise versa?

If this is right, any idea how i fit them back on? They don't look broken at all :)

Thanks

Megan :)

Hey Megan, they are indeed the brackets that lift the trim when the Sunroof is in the tilt position. Not sure you'll be able to reattach them without removing the whole cassette though. There should be springs on the bottom too. Have a search as I'm sure there are pics somewhere of how they attach.

Hey Megan, they are indeed the brackets that lift the trim when the Sunroof is in the tilt position. Not sure you'll be able to reattach them without removing the whole cassette though. There should be springs on the bottom too. Have a search as I'm sure there are pics somewhere of how they attach.

I think it might be possible to only remove the metal panel so as to access that lifter part

one side broke on my VR but I haven't tackled it

[ATTACH]83490[/ATTACH][ATTACH]83491[/ATTACH]

I've got more pictures if it helps

Hello Megs,

I think i have a spare of that(not a pipes). I just only spend like 10 hours to figure out on my what is wrong.

It is a nightmare. I will check it and let you know. Which side is it?

Thank you for all the replies! Shall have a look at this tomorrow afternoon.

Tizedes, I don't think the silver things are actually broken, just more popped out of place some how?!

Thank you though!!

any idea of a part #?

can't find it in vag cat

Edit - My apologies, i'm just incapable of operating the internetz.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83517[/ATTACH]

Edited by 'Rado_TDI

Rado_tdi If your trim doesn't lift and you don't Have those parts on yours, it's likely to be your sunroof mechanism had previously been swapped for a mk3 golf or passat unit.

If you can adapt items, stick something on the inner metal sunroof and then connect this to the inner liner. Have it adjusted so that as the sunroof tilts it pulls up the liner inside but make sure it's removable/replaceable. Or do what some people do and get the glass sunroof and the mk3 golf shade that slides back

ooh a moon roof.....

Thanks for the info / ideas - tbh, I have enough other little jobs to complete first - when I have my little brake and gearbox problems sorted out then I'll check it out :)

Jus to hi-jack this thread and having looked through the very many on sunroof repairs I'm look for some help!

Roof out and on the desk, replacement used parts sourced and fitted and then manually checking it works before re-fitting; this is where I hit a problem. The mechanism works fine on tilt and then goes to slide open position OK as well, but on the return journey from slide open to slide close, the passenger side immediately rises upwards, while the divers side stays flat (which has to be correct). Everything is in place and the cables were re-fitted to be parallel in the closed position. Any ideas on what is causing this and what i should do appreciated.

Regards

Red

Mine did that. I think one of the parts was actually locking down early. I found setting it up as per volkswagens instructions and making sure the motor was tightly fitted cured it. Been ok since

I found the setting up instructions on the internet. I'll try and have a look, but I'm at work until late. The corrado club of Canada had good info if I recall

Good luck mate. I also regreased using the proper lubricant that someone on here posted about. Ebay was a third of the vw price and it all certainly glides easier

OK time for an update that I hope helps others. It was the water glide plate and more importantly the chrome lever with a wee wheel on it was was proving to be the problem. The wheel had worn and was not rotating or lifting properly. It really s hard/impossible to see but this small wear and possibly wear to the small axle on which the wheel moves makes all the difference. The water plate and rocker mechanism from a Golf mk 3 are the same, albeit the poker is ball rather than chrome. Its now fitted and on a bench test everything works just as it should. Now when it stops pouring down I can put it all back together.

For anyone reading this who thinks it can be done with the roof in situ I'd think again. On the bench everything can be cleaned and checked easily. Hopefully this will then mean you have a long term solution

Best

Red