JD Westy

April Fools Day Intake damper explosion !

So get the dreaded text of the Mrs today ring me when you can ! So I ring " whats up ? " I ask " Cars gone with a bang and burning smell " Oh happy days come home to find the Intake Damper on the drive !! Any pointers as to new Intake Dampers ? There are a few diferent sources on E-Bay and perhaps more importantly any ideas why it exploded on start up today ? Had no issues with the engine whatsoever until today

I got mine from vw not too long ago. Was something like £22. Have heard of it happening before. I think they just get old and brittle.

Same happened to mine a couple of years ago. I think it was just brittle, as the car has been fine since it was replaced. As Jim says they are readily available from VW.

It controls the air and fuel between throttle and idle I think ? The gases can sometimes build up to such a rate it explodes and when it does its loud !

It controls the air and fuel between throttle and idle I think ? The gases can sometimes build up to such a rate it explodes and when it does its loud !

That must be what happened yesterday as the only part still in one piece is the bit with a metal covering with the part no. on . Engine starts but won't run so I,m hoping a new one will be the fix and there isn't anything more sinister afoot ?

I wouldn't have thought so no Westy. Just check all the vacuum hoses around it to make sure they are tight and no holes or splits .

You can blank it off and it should run. I run mine for a while without it. Just need to connect the pipes up.

So Jim is correct VW still carry this part £44 inc vat they had 7 left so make that 6 now , I collect tomorrow so hopefully my VR will be full of life again !

Crikey, they don't half put the prices up fast! Was about 6months ago i bought mine and looks to have doubled in price.