Sign in to follow this  
surfer.vr6

top gear corrado report

I know they did an article about taking the last Corrado Storm to the VW (or was it Karmann) museum...

Would love to see some of the original articles like this, I have to say.. :(

I think you'll struggle to find them in general circulation because it was pre TiVO :D

However, if someone from the CCGB calls up the BBC Library officially, I'm sure it will be possible to get hold of a broadcast-quality tape of the show/excerpt you need. How much they charge you for it, I dunno though... I did used to know someone who worked there, so I might make some phone calls... If I can get a tape of it, I can certainly put it on to DVD for yall (involving a small fee).

It would certainly help if anyone knew what year/date/episode any of the Corrado features were on. We can probably get a proper copy of the bit they did recently on the Corrado... maybe get whoever's Corrado it was to call them up and ask for a copy of the show on DV or somesuch?

If I am going to put a DVD together for everyone, it would be good to put a bit more than 2x 1min Top Gear excerpts on it, has anyone got any other suggestions for what could go on there?

I know they did an article about taking the last Corrado Storm to the VW (or was it Karmann) museum...

Would love to see some of the original articles like this, I have to say..

I've got it on VHS somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. Got to get my TV card installed back in my PC to capture it though...!

Remember seeing a feature on Top Gear about nugget yellow Corrado's. Was a LONG time ago- possibly early 1990's. It was something about the colour/depreciation- can't remember exactly what though!

Ah yes, I remember that now too! It was about buying a secondhand Corrado, they said to avoid nugget yellow because of depreciation and the fact it would be difficult to shift.

I actually LIKE nugget yellow :)

Would be good to get together a load of articles onto a DVD. I seem to remember Deals on Wheels had a guy on trying to sell his Corrado VR6... I bet if you gather all the bits together you still only have about 15mins of footage :D

i remember something on top gear about corrados about the time they where being released. The reason why I remember it was because that they mentioned the fact that the spoiler went up at 70mph (this i thought was very cool............and still do :-P ) on the german vehicles and they had to change it for release in the uk. Saying that I am recounting something I am unsure about that was broadcast in the late 80's!! :?

On a simillar note, I've still got the original "Car" with the G60 road-test, and the "Autocar" with the G60 vs 944 comparitive test as well. They make a great nostalgic read :)

I was a Corrado nut as soon as I saw the pictures (I was already a VW nut), picking up my G60 5 years ago was a great day for me :)

Would be good to get together a load of articles onto a DVD. I seem to remember Deals on Wheels had a guy on trying to sell his Corrado VR6... I bet if you gather all the bits together you still only have about 15mins of footage :D

twas a well specced VR6 too......black leather elec recaro's 8) 8) 8)

Ah yes, I remember that now too! It was about buying a secondhand Corrado, they said to avoid nugget yellow because of depreciation and the fact it would be difficult to shift.

Strange init, that now Nugget Yellow Ones are Fairly rare (Think VW only produced 500 in that colour) and are quite sought after..........

Didn't Top Gear Also do a Comparrison Test Between 4 coupes, there was the C, The Honda Prelude, Filthy Calibra and summat else......Think the C came out tops!!!

Steve

Yeah, I liked the quote on the recent report about how (and I'm paraphrasing here) the Corrado was the only '90s coupe you wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen getting out of :)

Something like "what sort of message are you giving out when you climb out of a Probe, a Calibra, or even a Celica? Not good." :lol:

Yeah, I liked the quote on the recent report about how (and I'm paraphrasing here) the Corrado was the only '90s coupe you wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen getting out of :)

Something like "what sort of message are you giving out when you climb out of a Probe, a Calibra, or even a Celica? Not good." :lol:

It's a good point, but then he is a short arse :D I wouldn't say I look most elegant when getting out of my C, but then I am 6'2

I wouldn't say I look most elegant when getting out of my C, but then I am 6'2

Ditto :)

But I think he actually meant being associated with those particular cars, rather than falling out of them (and let's face it, the Calibra was only a Cavalier with a dress on, and getting out of a repmobile isn't too tough considering a large proportion of the people who drive them seem to be fat pillocks ;) )

I still maintain that it isn't possible to get in or out of a Corrado elegantly! :? My Ex used to hate trying to get in and out of my first one 'cos of how daft it made her look! :D :lol: She was always happy when in the car though, 'cos she loved the way that everyone looked at her with a look of envy... 8)

It's deffo aged the best out of all the 90's coupe offerings... 8)

I still maintain that it isn't possible to get in or out of a Corrado elegantly! :? My Ex used to hate trying to get in and out of my first one 'cos of how daft it made her look! :D :lol: She was always happy when in the car though, 'cos she loved the way that everyone looked at her with a look of envy... 8)

It's deffo aged the best out of all the 90's coupe offerings... 8)

Definitely agree. And yes all the other 90's coupe's were embarrasing to be even seen near, let alone getting out of :D

Mind you, having been in both a Mk1 and Mk2 Elise, I would have to say that we aren't even close to the Lotus drivers for awkward/un-elegant dismounts :lol:

I guess it's a good reason to keep the suspension standard... it makes you look marginally more elegant when getting out!

The great payback though is that fantastic low-slung driving position (low-slung for a coupe anyway). I let a mate have a go in mine, he absolutely loved the driving position. Said it made him feel like he was in a Ferrari or something :)

The great payback though is that fantastic low-slung driving position (low-slung for a coupe anyway). I let a mate have a go in mine, he absolutely loved the driving position. Said it made him feel like he was in a Ferrari or something :)

Yeah it does feel good, I didn't realise exactly how good it was til I had to get back in my *cough* Corsa and went "eewwwww nasty" :D

Did Top Gear ever do a review of the corrado when it was new ??

Yes, they did. I remember watching it - they pitted it against the Probe and the Calibre (just like everyone else did) and prefered it out of the three (just like everyone else did). The only bit I clearly remember was that they had a VR6 and Calrkson saying "this thing cruises at 140mph".

Sorry for resurecting an old thread!

Strangely it feels exactly like a Jag S Type in terms of driving position. I tried one the other day and you fall into it in exactly the same way as the rado. Lovely :)

Did Top Gear ever do a review of the corrado when it was new ??

Yes, they did. I remember watching it - they pitted it against the Probe and the Calibre (just like everyone else did) and prefered it out of the three (just like everyone else did). The only bit I clearly remember was that they had a VR6 and Calrkson saying "this thing cruises at 140mph".

Sorry for resurecting an old thread!

Someone must have a copy of that lurking around!! Anyone ???