FrankyEight

Heavy rainfall: soaking wet rear passenger footwell.

Any ideas?...

Much appreciated.

couple of places & potentials

most likely is the foliage filter housing & the plastic cover which goes over the top of it

I had a badly fitted plastic cover on my VR such that one corner was tucked under itself & was letting water go straight into the top of the foliage filter

if the plastic cover is ok it could be the seal on the base of the foliage filter, they are known to perish & then leak

if neither of those then check the sunroof drain holes - open sunroof onto full slide & there is a drain hole channel in each corner. pour a little water down each & check it comes out under each respective wing

Please have a search. Water getting into the cabin has been discussed so many times over the years, and can usually be traced one of only a few regular culprits.

Yes, I have a sunroof.

Apologies for my lack of patience with searching the forum but thanks so much for the replies, I'll investigate...

I have to say the forum search isn't the best, but you may yield better results by searching the site via Google... if you enter in the Google box something like:

site:the-corrado.net water leak footwell

You should get far more accurate / helpful results than you'll get from the built-in search function :)

most likely is the foliage filter housing & the plastic cover which goes over the top of it

if the plastic cover is ok it could be the seal on the base of the foliage filter, they are known to perish & then leak

This ^^^ !!!

And, good tip from Jim on how to search. phpBB is a bit rubbish at searching..

Or missing grommets for the Corrado or VW roundels on the rear...?

If it's rear footwell it could be running forward from badly sealed rear light clusters

In my case it was coming from under the front dash area from the scuttle seals and running downhill to the rear footwell..

I've attached a couple of pics here, not sure they're gonna be of any use. I have a plastic cover on the passenger's side but not the driver's. Should I have one there?

I also noticed that the plastic 'lip' that sits under the wiper was loose and not completely on, on the passenger side, maybe this was letting rain in?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83646[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83647[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]83648[/ATTACH]

Also, does anyone know what this is? Looking directly up from the bottom of the front passenger footwell.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83649[/ATTACH]

Underneath that plastic cover on the passenger side, in the engine bay, is a common weak point. A plastic cover which is the intake for the cabin heater motor. Problem is it's sealed to the body with nothing more than a soft foam gasket and over time this can go brittle and crack. You can still buy that gasket from VW for a few quid and it only takes 5 minutes to swap it - so could well be the source of your leaks.

Also, does anyone know what this is? Looking directly up from the bottom of the front passenger footwell.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83649[/ATTACH]

Looks like the refrigerant pipe for aircon

couple of places & potentials

I had a badly fitted plastic cover on my VR such that one corner was tucked under itself & was letting water go straight into the top of the foliage filter

if neither of those then check the sunroof drain holes - open sunroof onto full slide & there is a drain hole channel in each corner. pour a little water down each & check it comes out under each respective wing

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a foliage cover seal or better yet, a foliage cover and seal? Just spoken with VW who've said they no longer supply them, discontinued.

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a foliage cover seal or better yet, a foliage cover and seal? Just spoken with VW who've said they no longer supply them, discontinued.

Thanks in advance!

here you go m8 https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/191819166/gasket-heater-blower-intake-golf-mk2-corrado/

Heritage saying they will be back in stock in 3 weeks - prolly best to contact them, either on here through AnnaVR6 (as she works for them) or directly

there is also a guide on the wiki which you may find helpful http://wiki.the-corrado.net/changing_heater_scuttle_foliage_cover_seal.html

personally, my issue was with the thin plastic cover which goes over the foliage filer being incorrectly refitted.

Thanks very much. On closer inspection may scutter panel/cover doesn't appear to be fitted right either. I'll fix this and hopefully that might have been the problem.

Thanks very much. On closer inspection may scutter panel/cover doesn't appear to be fitted right either. I'll fix this and hopefully that might have been the problem.

no problem, hope you get it sorted.

the panel/cover is a hard one to describe. with mine the 'wall' section on the side closest to the passenger wing had tucked up & under itself. this in turn caused a crease in which the water flowed & then dropped directly into the hole on the foliage seal below.

if fitted correctly the panel/cover should almost be like a box over the top of the foliage filter, if that makes sense. IE when you stand & look at the passenger side of the panel/cover you should not be able to see the majority of the foliage filter underneath

personally, even though a new foliage filer seal had been fitted by stealth, i put a little clear silicone sealant around the base of the foliage filter as an extra precaution

I had water on passenger side that would creep back under seat into rear floorboard, turned to come from fresh air vent /plastic debris guard located under wiper cowling.

Gasket failed.. Remove plastic cover and plastic cage, clean surfaces thoroughly ( as well as drainage weep holes and a great oppurtunity to clean any gunk down inside fresh air cavity )

I applied 3/4" wide butyl tape around perimeter. Much better than original seal. Dry ever since.