Sign in to follow this  
Brando

Do I ditch my 17s??

Hi all,

Getting annoyed with my 17s.

640x480sideon.jpg

I love the looks of them, but I worry that I am losing some acceleration, fuel economy and handling (especially on crappy roads - read all British Roads).

My rear bushes need replacing soon and I am planning on upgrading all - VAG vr-16v mounts, bushes and bumpstops all round with koni TA shocks and H&R springs with a 35-40mm drop. But I am now begining to wonder if I don't drop the wheel size to 16s or 15s even and have the car properly setup for them when all the work gets done???? Or should I stick with 17s and get the car setup for them? (it has already been geo-tested and setup for them currently)

Any thoughts???? (Will also put eibach roll bars on the rear and may be the front, but will be after my savings have recovered from the above!!!)

Cheers,

Olly.

17's look great in photos but in praticallity they are not very good!!!! 15 or 16's will be much better!!!! and you will automatically feel the difference and will be well happy!!!

i'm going from 15"s up to 17" shortly...I hope it doesn't ruin the car. my mk2 was never 100% happy on 17"s :cry:

i'm going from 15"s up to 17" shortly...I hope it doesn't ruin the car. my mk2 was never 100% happy on 17"s :cry:

Sorry to say it mate but you would defo be better with 16's... been in a couple of Corrados with 17's and I not like at all... I'm a 'real' driver not a poser so prefer to drive the car but imao with 17's its alot harder and less forgiving...

My corrado runs great with 18's on it is slightly heavy than with 17's but works great and handles nice on a fast run also im averaging 27-28 mpg with half a ton of sound in it as well.

Mark :evil:

I've ran 16" for years on my mk2, unfortunately I need 17"s to clear my new brakes so the 15"s will have to go, and only 16" compomotive MO's will clear big brakes, and they aren't really in keeping with the look I want.

225/35/17 tyres on the back....mmmmm....

It's certainly interesting having 17s Phat..... There is a lot more pull on the wheel which isn't all bad. On a smooth piece of road (rare) they are much better, but on uneven ground they aren't as good as my original 15s where, way more twitchy. Mind you turn in on my C is pretty crap at the moment as my suspension is all original 131k in :).

Just can't decide to down grade or not.... Cheers for your opinions so far guys.

I'm just wondering f the wide track suspension of the VR6 will cope with it better than the mk2 (and 4 stud corrado) would?

who's running 17" on a vr here?

I've been out in a VR with TT comps (17s), H&Rs and Konis and it didn't feel much different to stock. 205/50 is a relatively low profile and stiff walled tyre anyway. A lot of it is tyre choice.

Oh and the chassis seemed to cope with 17s OK as we gave it death on the Banbury road outside Stealth.

I remember the banbury road as being the one Vince uses to test drive cars on. Great, but it's so smooth he can never feel any of the problems we've been experiencing!! :(