andyhudson

standard shock and spring setup

I was saying to a customer only this week, that be Corrados are climbing in value and that it is the stock factory spec examples that will be sought after, we will see a surge of interest in stock suspension. How many sets have I committed to a skip over the last twenty years? I have just had a set powder coated for my own Storm restoration project. Happy hunting

I have a spare pair of front shocks and springs in reasonable condition, cost of postage might be an issue though as I'm on the south coast.

Really hard to get hold of - I gave up trying to get new shocks for mine and have had to settled with a Bilstein B12 setup. Not put it on yet - I love the standard setup.

I've just put standard on mine. Although after searching I've put Monroe' s on. But Christ the gap between tyre and wheel arch is huge.. does anyone know what the standard measurements should be, as I'm thinking of swapping the springs. It had ridiculously low coil springs on b4 [ATTACH]83876[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The standard ride height can be pretty comical - just check out the old Top Gear video on YouTube, about taking the last Storm back to the VW museum in Wolfsburg - it looks like a Golf Country rolling around sometimes! -->

(skip to about 1:38 for a side on shot - the rear wheel arch gap is HUGE)

You could consider a set of slightly lowered springs but I do know that 'stock' dampers, designed for OE springs, often don't cope with lowering and can prematurely wear or fail.

I've enjoyed the video footage. delfinis38 im glad I've seen yours. I think I'll get a picture of mine up to compare.

It looks a comfy ride. If I'm being truthful with myself, It will be another year b4 mine is on the road unfortunately

I've enjoyed the video footage. delfinis38 im glad I've seen yours. I think I'll get a picture of mine up to compare.

It looks a comfy ride. If I'm being truthful with myself, It will be another year b4 mine is on the road unfortunately

My car with standard ride height and speedlines with 205 50 15 with full tread...

Top of Rear arch to top of tyre tread 85mm approx

Top of Front arch to top of tyre tread 65mm approx

Just measured mine and it is ridiculously more.

130mm rear tyre to arch

90mm front tyre to arch

No laughing at the pictures🙈[ATTACH]83877[/ATTACH][ATTACH]83878[/ATTACH][ATTACH]83879[/ATTACH]

Holy crap!! That's clearly not correct for the car.

And that's supposedly standard equipment I was sold. Think I need to look back through the receipts, but they've been fitted nearly a year on the car, even tho its done ZERO miles

I know I had issues with the fronts I was first supplied as they didn't have the smaller pigtails for the later model top mounts. And they may have been mk3 golf ones !!! Not annoyed. Much. Thinking angle grinder time..

Wow, thats pretty comical! Are there pictures on your members gallery of the car? Surprised nobody noticed if so.

I'm not that computer minded to understand how to do a members gallery unfortunately.

Just thinking about going outside and smashing the ####ard thing up with a really nice sledge hammer I have🔨

I'm thinking more like a ton

That's the ones. They came with the car so I thought I'd save them. Been refurbed and new badges made on the rims. Just need centre caps. .. The list is endless

I have a spare pair of front shocks and springs in reasonable condition, cost of postage might be an issue though as I'm on the south coast.

im after a full set really, as ill end up struggling to find a pair of rears on there own

Hi Andy

Reading the thread with interest as I am seeking to return my Storm to original.

Note thread is over a year old but are the spare shocks and springs still available and are they suitable for a 1995 storm?

As others have found OE new tricky to source with confidence but lowered sets new easy to come by and cheaper and thinking if needs be of AP set up of springs and shocks SP80-216 with 40mm/30mm lowering front/rear.

Any thoughts? johnD

I'm interested too, I recently bought a '93 16v which is running budget coilovers and was scraping its belly. I've raised it up to make it easier to live with, but now with very little travel left on the struts, it can bottom out on some bumps. So I'm also looking to a near original set up.