culshaw

Culshaw's VR6

Looking good. I've got the B12 kit too (with the revised rear springs). Did you fit the original rears? I didn't bother as new they'd be wrong looking the size of the spring.

Edit - now seen your previous pics and see you did have it fitted. New setup is much better imo - gaps looks consistent front and back. I reckon the original springs in the eibach kit were really for the -50mm sportline kit.

Yeah, it shredded the sidewall of my rear left tyre so needed to get it sorted before I put the new wheels on.

I also followed the manual with the spring setup, whereas the garage who fitted them decided to put both retaining washers above the bump stop rather than one either side...

I like the look! 16's?

17's, but I'm happy you think that!

Good choice. I like them.

I already miss the RC's :(

Last night I fixed the electric mirrors so now they work. Two last electrical gremlins to go:

1. No radio (ignition live wire is dead)

2. Heated seats plug in (hopefully got a TV box sourced to fit OEM)

Interesting I should check the washer situation with mine too as didnt fit myself. I had eibach send me the replacement springs for the rear.

Thanks for the tip

Fixed a broke fuse in the new headlight loom

Bled the back brakes now the pedal is solid.

Am now ready for MOT!!!!

Got more glue off the under the bonnet in prep for new bonnet foam

Long time since last update, I've moved house, and have a permanent garage that actually belongs to me now so all types of wonderful things are going on.

I've sorted out the radio, turns out the SAFE wire was causing the gamma not to boot. It works, but the illumination is red, and looks wank in a car full of green.

I went about trying to find something with green backlighting, that also looked period, and came across this from a Hyundai.

s-l800.jpg

I took a bit of car polish to the logo and voila, looks great. I'll post a pic of how it looks at night with interior illumination

IMG_5537.JPG

This weekend I did the spark plugs (old are really oil fouled, the car is running rich, so something is up), and ht leads (From mr-retro-leads on ebay).

IMG_5522.JPG IMG_5524.JPG

I sourced 

Edited by culshaw

13 minutes ago, culshaw said:

Long time since last update, I've moved house, and have a permanent garage that actually belongs to me now so all types of wonderful things are going on.

I've sorted out the radio, turns out the SAFE wire was causing the gamma not to boot. It works, but the illumination is red, and looks wank in a car full of green.

I went about trying to find something with green backlighting, that also looked period, and came across this from a Hyundai.

s-l800.jpg

I took a bit of car polish to the logo and voila, looks great. I'll post a pic of how it looks at night with interior illumination

IMG_5537.JPG

This weekend I did the spark plugs (old are really oil fouled, the car is running rich, so something is up), and ht leads (From mr-retro-leads on ebay).

IMG_5522.JPG IMG_5524.JPG

I sourced 

Any oil consumption topping up,  ? 

Just now, Keyo said:

Any oil consumption topping up,  ? 

I did an oil change about 300 miles ago after fitting the mocal, so haven't had to top up yet.

This is the first time I've done the plugs since I owned it, so they could be super old, could be a past problem, who knows really. Part of the fault finding is using the new plugs for a bit, and seeing how fouled they get. I also lost my halfords pro extension bar to use with the spark plug socket so I have a crappy silverline one which doesn't have the grip to keep the socket attached, so it's a right pig to get the new plugs in properly 😞

Think there is a spark plug remover in the tool kit - might be part of the handle of the jack. spark.jpg

3 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Think there is a spark plug remover in the tool kit - might be part of the handle of the jack. spark.jpg

that's a very nice looking water bottle

3 minutes ago, Keyo said:

That my friend is to get the HT lead off the plug and not many cars still have them. 

On 4/10/2019 at 9:55 AM, culshaw said:

Stripped the front-end, replaced all the coolant hoses with Samcos.

Treated the rad support, it wasn't in terrible condition but a layer or two of hammerite will help it

qq9joST.jpg

Also dug out my ambitious next step but am nervous about strapping it on and blowing up the engine given it's done 150k after 3000rpm.

AVMofuZ.jpg

There's a metal prong welded on (you can see on far-right). I'm unsure what this is for, it doesn't seem to fit anywhere on first glance.

Any further with this, will you need bigger injectors?

Great update and a good find for the radio. Loving the ignition lead remover on the bonnet stay. 

And what the hell is that lump of rotrex beast doing. That will be nice

11 hours ago, James. said:

Nice VDO stereo. Looks period correct.

They're an absolute steal on ebay for £25

12 hours ago, Cressa said:

Great update and a good find for the radio. Loving the ignition lead remover on the bonnet stay. 

And what the hell is that lump of rotrex beast doing. That will be nice

Right now it's gathering dust, I haven't got the equipment to grind the head down right now, I was using a dremel but it wore the attachments out. That plus I'm scared it'll blow the head gasket on first fire-up. Basically I don't think the engine itself is ready, there's a small oil leak I think is coming from the rocker cover which also needs to be sorted first

15 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Any further with this, will you need bigger injectors?

Quite possibly, I've also got a set of the BKR6E spark plugs to put on when it does eventually get strapped on. I'm slowly accumulating the parts to what I think is needed, but I still need to give John Mitchell at JMR a call back to discuss. (Also moved back to Nottingham so Stealth is much closer)

Edited by culshaw

12 hours ago, James. said:

Nice VDO stereo. Looks period correct.

Yep, it should look the part. Looks like it has ISO CD changer control, so should take an AUX in as well.

Might have to get one of these to tide me over until the CD changer goes back in - it looks a lot lees flash and desireable than the Nakamichi CD500 I have in storage, which is the only other CD head unit I have. The VDO part is kind of cool as well.

Have you got a pin-out for it by any chance, or a picture of the casing where there is usually a diagram? Just wondering what it supports.

I would get a vw logo delta decal made with a red stripe  and then charge £300 a set on ebay rare VW vdo delta  ha. 

Edited by Keyo

3 hours ago, fendervg said:

Yep, it should look the part. Looks like it has ISO CD changer control, so should take an AUX in as well.

Might have to get one of these to tide me over until the CD changer goes back in - it looks a lot lees flash and desireable than the Nakamichi CD500 I have in storage, which is the only other CD head unit I have. The VDO part is kind of cool as well.

Have you got a pin-out for it by any chance, or a picture of the casing where there is usually a diagram? Just wondering what it supports.

There's one on here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Hyundai-Getz-VDO-Radio-Stereo-CD-Player/382941073428?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D8e09f35f66224715b61885092ef6253e%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D382941073428%26itm%3D382941073428%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DHyundai&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A101d34c6-9516-11ea-b71b-74dbd180d2e1|parentrq%3A0e0749021720abc5a60b7c8aff9b52c0|iid%3A1

s-l1600.jpg

Ah cool - so has powered aerial, telephone mute and dimmable illumination by the looks of things - so the only thing you would really be losing (and gaining an in dash CD player instead) is the GALA speed dependent volume control. I could live with that.

I believe there is also an OEM aux iPhone/iPad interface from VDO that can be used with these, or you have ISO changer control.

7 hours ago, fendervg said:

I believe there is also an OEM aux iPhone/iPad interface from VDO that can be used with these, or you have ISO changer control.

Can you point me to it please if you know it?

Illuminated no flash

F3729CD5-E45A-4CD9-8594-15B76A78F567.jpeg

With flash

2933CC4E-C65B-445D-AD66-F57C4F848B61.jpeg