Jim Bowen

Going to view a Scirocco.

Am off to VW tomorrow. Looking at a 2013 Scirocco 2.0tdi GT bluemotion. I don't know a massive amount about them or the model range. But looks nice, has full leather, 18" rims, 17,000miles.

Anyone on here got one or can offer any advice about them.

Oh and its white, which wouldn't be my first, second or third or fourth choice.

Not sure about it yet, the colour is the only thing, apart from that it seems the ideal car.

Not sure about it yet, the colour is the only thing, apart from that it seems the ideal car.

Was never a fan of white but I have two white cars.. The rococo in white with black sunroof would be my choice... White is nice when it's clean.

Good cars, Ive had two albeit the 2.0 TSI. Handle really well. What other spec does it have? I had one with a pano roof and TBH I never used it.

Rear bumper gets stone chipped behind the rear wheel, other than that usual wear and tear. There nothing inherently wrong that goes wrong with them model wise, mechanicals are all common so it would be engine specific related issues.

A wee drop on some H&R's makes a huge difference, they look so much better. Remember its a 2+2 as well, no 3rd seat belt in the back. Id own another for sure. Boot is big, its just got a high entry. Only other little things are boot is key only to open and windows can stick when its really cold so you cant get in the car but theres way around that (they need to drop before opening as there frameless.)

for what you are potentially going to pay for it, i would wait until the perfect one comes up, unless you are in an immediate rush. Imagine the pain when you settle with the white one then pull up next to or see one in a color you love. its allot of money to spend so wait and get your perfect one. Its not like there is limited numbers of them! Thats what i think anyway.

Im talking in terms of a purchase not a test drive obviously.

I had a tdi GT as my company car for a while. Great cars and generally as solid as anything else VW group produce.

As others have said, all the mechanicals are lifted from other models so should be just as reliable. Doors are big so you need a bit of space when parked to get out smoothly so watch where you park.

I'd definitely buy one with my own money

Well i just got back from the test drive.

Drives quite nicely, although very similar to most cars these days, A3, Golf etc, i know they are the same platform so to be expected.

Decided against that particular one, not sure i could live with the white and i could see a bit of a dodgy repair/paint on the front bumper. So then sat in a golf 63 plate and actually preferred that. I felt a bit cramped in the scirocco, the arm rest got in the way as well. It just didn't feel special enough to be a coupe, more of an everyday hatchback with coupe styling, so scirocco is off my list.

Going to test drive the Golf next week, am also thinking i will have a look at the toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ, starting to consider a polo gti, but feel it might be a bit small.

Ive had Golfs as well and they are good but always felt the Scirocco was nicer inside. As said some H&R springs makes them look so much wider and purposeful. I wouldn't buy a 3dr Golf over a Scirocco if there available with the same engine.

I'll probably end up with a 5dr golf, hardly seems to be any 3drs for sale (do they still make them or is it just the GTI and R models?)

They do have a lovely R32 in the showroom, but this is going to be my 2nd car for getting to work etc and don't want anything that i feel is better/faster than the corrado. Plus the R32 is £500 road tax instead of £30

I have seen some Mk7 Golfs in the GT spec in 3 door.

I am not sure what your budget is but I can recommend the Leon in FR spec. I have the 1.4 Tsi with the cylinder on demand tech. It really is a great car and the spec is massive for the price. Plus it is the later underpinnings than the Scirocco you looked at. It is not really quick but nice for normal day to day driving, with 45 mpg (actual measured) from a petrol there is no need for dirty diesel.

A sporty seat might actually be a good shout. Guy at my work had the exeo estate was a 190odd bhp engine top spec leather interior cost a faction of the Audi/be equivalent but looked and felt lovely. Really impressed overall with the new seat range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well i just got back from the test drive.

Drives quite nicely, although very similar to most cars these days, A3, Golf etc, i know they are the same platform so to be expected.

Decided against that particular one, not sure i could live with the white and i could see a bit of a dodgy repair/paint on the front bumper. So then sat in a golf 63 plate and actually preferred that. I felt a bit cramped in the scirocco, the arm rest got in the way as well. It just didn't feel special enough to be a coupe, more of an everyday hatchback with coupe styling, so scirocco is off my list.

Going to test drive the Golf next week, am also thinking i will have a look at the toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ, starting to consider a polo gti, but feel it might be a bit small.

The newest polo GTI is a lovely place to be. I drove one as part of a course by VW (come and see what brilliant cars we build!) and the Polo GTI was by far the best of the bunch.

I'm 6'6 and built like an outhouse, and was comfortable in it. Not much room behind the drivers seat, like, but a brilliant drive.

Surprisingly, Ups have a vast amount of space inside also.

Whats your budget and how practical does it have to be?

New style Octavia VRS is an amazing car, as is the Leon FR as mentioned.

I'll probably end up with a 5dr golf, hardly seems to be any 3drs for sale (do they still make them or is it just the GTI and R models?)

They do have a lovely R32 in the showroom, but this is going to be my 2nd car for getting to work etc and don't want anything that i feel is better/faster than the corrado. Plus the R32 is £500 road tax instead of £30

I have a Polo GTI and it is better and faster than the Corrado in real road terms, id imagine the Golf would be the same.. The Corrados charm is the driving position, noise and character.

Even my MK7 Golf GT D is faster than the VR6. It may be only 150bhp but the diesel delivery and handling are miles ahead of a 23 yr old car

Even my MK7 Golf GT D is faster than the VR6. It may be only 150bhp but the diesel delivery and handling are miles ahead of a 23 yr old car

stock N/A Vr lumps are extremely lazy engines. they need to hurry up and produce that 3ltr twin turbo prototype engine they were hyping a few years back!!!!!!!!

You want to get your VR looked at. There is no way that your GT D should be quicker through the revs, however I do agree if you are talking about torque at low revs. Handling wise you are probably right, however electric steering does not give much feedback - that is my only complaint about my Leon Fr which is essentially the same car underneath as yours. I do like my Leon a lot - much more fun to drive than the A5.

My VR is way quicker through the gears (over 200bhp) but on a B roads (I have a route I time my cars on) the GT D is faster. Quickest car around that route is my Mk2 GTI track car which is stripped and caged at about 900kg and has a 150bhp race spec 2.0 8v. Mainly as it handles like a go cart.....

Slowest on my B route is my 500bhp S4 as it handles like a boat :D and you can't unleash the full 500bhp on those little roads.

Ah, now I understand - horses for courses. Good to hear about the Mk2 destroying the rest - mine is the same in the sense that a VR would need to be supercharged to offer the same power to weight ratio.