Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Polished Schrick VGI going on tonight :-)

I've spent the past few months (on and off of course) polishing my VGI. well, finally gave up last night and decided to put the b4stard back together and get it on the car.

it's not looking 100%, but most of it is polished, save for the odd awkward to reach bit, but I might stick up some pics anyway. I'm fussy so rather then just polishing it I reshaped some of it and smoothed out the casting marks so the runners are actually cylindrical now, not all wibbly-wobbly with flat sides (sad I know....)

Vacuum system is already in, I had to put in a vacuum tank for the 4WD so I've tapped into that reservoir (hidden under the battery, above the horns) as the schrick one is pig ugly and awkward to locate tidily. I'll do the wiring tonight (will probably wire my oil pressure gauge in whislt I'm at it), might give it a bit more polishing, and will fit it tomorrow, along with new injectors, custom made silicon leads, a polished rocker cover and plugs.

It's a year to the day since I last fitted it, and a good 10 months since I last drove a VR6 with one on. I can't wait!! I just hope it doesn't get me banned on Sunday on the way home from Santa pod like it did last year!

Phat, your signature is now longer than your messages!

Although I suspect you are the type not to get involved in the "I got more BHP and Torque than you" agrument, what's your VR putting out these days?

sig is rather large, and it's stil not a comrehensive list either!

as for BHP,no idea, never had it on the rollers yet, will find out later in the month. got a RR day onthe 18th, and another on the 7th august at a different place as a comparison.

my last 2.9 VR that had a similar spec, but without the headwork, fancy valves and the lightened flywheel put out 207BHP. but that had twice the mileage this one has and didn't feel as strong on the road either. I still claim that to be the fastest NA VR6 in this country too, no one has claimed to beat my best time of 13.75 yet.

for this one, I'm estimating 215BHP or thereabouts?? not bothered really, I'm more interested in the torque it has rather than a peak figure, hence why I'm so excited about re-fitting the vgi. with the new engine mods it already pulls like it's on there, so I'm going to be mega impressed if it makes as much difference as it did on the other engine.

not really, the last time I lent it out it took me 8 months to get the thing back!! that was over a year ago, and he STILL has my polished 2.9 manifold on his car :mad:

No offence but how after all the work you've done you only gonna get 215bhp?? Suppose now looking at you sig, its only the cams that are making a big difference? I take it you have it chipped??

Sorry if I'm talking sh$te? just interested more than anything else!! :mrgreen:

Timo.

I saw a Corrado VR of that spec (less the box and flywheel etc) give 223bhp using one of Stealth's unichip remaps and Vince the 268s are usually good for an extra 15bhp. But no two engines are the same, so results will vary.

I'm being realistic......I haven't got a decent chip yet. I'd like to think it'll do 200 at the wheels, but I know it's not so why should I get my hopes up?

Anyway, f*ck HP figures, they are for kids who live in magazines and not the real world. You've all got sh1te overly long geared boxes anyway, so no matter how much HP you NA guys claim to have mine's still going to be quicker on the road. :p :-P :lol:

Got it all on last night, controller wired in and confirmed as working too (well, I can feel it sucking on the hose anyway). I just can't get the 3 lower bolts in the manifold, going to have to take the front end off or lift the engine up a bit to get at them. Will sort that tonight.

Problem 1

the manfiold runners are touching the second fan??? I think I can fit washers between the fan cowling and the 3 fan mounting bolts to move it closer to the rad. fiddly job, might end up taking the fonr end off after all.....

Problem 2

I haven't got a Dremel to modify the bonnet, don't fancy tackling it with the angle grinder!

Problem 3

It's p1ssing down and I have to work outside and finish it off tonight. :mad:

Problem 4

I've put a crank case breather on the rocker cover but can't find anything to bung the intake hose with???

Also, found out why it idles like sh1t. the rubber hose that used to come from the carbon cannister purge valve (and which now has a bolt in the end of it blockingit off) had fallen down on to the manifoold heat sheild, and this had melted a hole in it. so I had a rather large inlet air leak. should run a bit better now that's fixed.

test drive tonight (if it stops raining....) :)

Hmm, I must a say I'm bitterly dissappointed :cry:

the vgi doesn't seem to have anywhere near the effect it did on my last car. all I can feel is a slight surge in torque around 3500rpm, then a massive flat spot, with no gain (actaully feels more like a loss) up top (but that my be psychological).

I know there's no air leaks, all new gaskets, the controller is swithcing at 4000, the vacuum is working and operating the mechanism too.

WTF??!?!?

Sure, I'm still on the stock chip, and that flat spot was there without the schrick, but it really feels as though it's barely doing a thing!!? only once have I noticed the change in engine note at 4000rpm..

and it stalls at every given opportunity too, the air leak it had before must have been keeping it running.

I've scanned for codes, and cleared out the settings so it should be learning some new paramaters, but I must say I'm very disappointed, so much so, I'm considering taking it off and selling it now. :cry:

I guess I've been spoiled by the light flywheel giving me a good low end pick up...

See above. Any engine mods over standard need to be mapped Paul. You know that, so go get that AMD chipped ECU off your mate and try it then. Failing that you need to get someone to map yours properly. Then decide if its worth it

probably Kershaws, just up the road, where we are having the rolling road day soon.

failing that, I'll see if the ex AMD guy can come up to stealth to do it.

Whilst I am no expert in the field by any stretch of the imagination, any conversations I've had with tuners about the Shrick/VGI have all been along the lines of "In isolation its an excellent modification but when combined with other mods such as altered cam profiles, reduce the noticable performance delivered by the inlet mainifold".

Could it be that the VGI is effectively designed to go an a standard engine rather then a highly tuned one! Just a thought.... :idea:

I think that's my problem. last time it was used on a standard ish engine. this time, i've done other mods, wich almost made up for the lack of vgi anyway, so it's effect has been lessened.

If a chip won' sort it it;ll be going up for sale. I'd rathe have the money than the feeble difference it appers to have made to this lump :cry:

Shame you can't find a way of not having to cut the bonnet until you're sure aswell, don't like the idea of that mod to make it fit.

Shame you can't find a way of not having to cut the bonnet until you're sure aswell, don't like the idea of that mod to make it fit.

The engine mounts determine how much metal is removed. I've got Vibras front and rear and as a consequence I got away with removing a very small amount of metal. But I did a Schrick on a standard mounted engine and had to considerably more metal away.

It *does* need doing, regardless. A little chunk out of the bonnet is better than a lump on the outside of it.

i stuck some putty on the corner of it and shut the bonnet. when I opening it I reckon I had 4mm clearance at the most.

even with vibra mounts I didn't want to risk it hitting and bending the bonnet. so it was out with the angle grinder. I just made sure I cut enough out to clear the whole part of the manifold, not just the corner. I think it looks neater that way too, rather than a little local cut out. it's not as noticeable.

It *does* need doing, regardless. A little chunk out of the bonnet is better than a lump on the outside of it.

*cough* ugly Schricks..... :wink: :-P

When I had my Schrick fitted I was toying the the idea of taking a bit of that spar out then welding in a flat bit of metal to tidy up the cut. It would look better if it could be beaten flatter rather than cut IMO. Mine was cut but I wish I'd tried other options.

*cough* ugly Schricks..... :wink: :-P
But effective :lol:

The bonnet cut doesn't bother me. You don't even notice it unless pointed out to be honest.

One of the advantages of the VSR... bonnet stays as intended :D Shame Schrick didn't consider C fitment when redesigning the VWM/Piersburg original :roll: