GrizzlyBear

1992 2.0 16v Blower not working

Just wondring if anyone can give me an idea on what to do.

My heater/blower doesn't work on any of the settings, I've checked the fuses and they all look fine! when I turn the knob is just dosent do anyhting on all the settings.

I'm not sure what the next step is, as this is my first corrado and there is just a jumbled mis-mash of wiring diagrams on the car!

Thanks in advance.

Just wondring if anyone can give me an idea on what to do.

My heater/blower doesn't work on any of the settings, I've checked the fuses and they all look fine! when I turn the knob is just dosent do anyhting on all the settings.

I'm not sure what the next step is, as this is my first corrado and there is just a jumbled mis-mash of wiring diagrams on the car!

Thanks in advance.

hello there

you can buy a replacement blower motor off ebay - part number 192959101

here is a guide on how to remove it http://website.lineone.net/~quigger/heater.htm

it is a simple job with the exception of the locating tab on the blower motor itself. you have to press a tab upwards & then rotate the blower so as to remove it. the tab is at the rear right hand side IIRC

Thank you for the reply, I'll get onto that now as winter in coming up quick...

Is there a posssiblitiy it could be the switch as well?

Thank you for the reply, I'll get onto that now as winter in coming up quick...

Is there a posssiblitiy it could be the switch as well?

no problem happy to help.

i have done them in both my VR & valver

i doubt it is the dash switch but possibly. normally it is the blower motor if you get no response at all. if it only works on one or 2 of the settings it is the resistor jobbie that is mentioned on the guide i posted for you

possibly but i doubt it

Ok thanks very much, will get that blower motor out. The guide looks very helpful so should be all good.

thanks again.

Ok thanks very much, will get that blower motor out. The guide looks very helpful so should be all good.

thanks again.

good luck

IIRC i think the blower was about £30 from ebay

Could also be the resistor pack on the side of the blower motor. Mine wouldn't work on any speed either but upon removing the fan from the housing it would work. I found one of the wires has corroded and split slightly and simply moving it was enough to re-make the connection again!

i have an aircon version but i imagine the non a/c one is the same. The two spade connectors to the fan are located at teh bottom - if you remove teh lower shelf and unscrew the black cover on the end you'll see the feed wires at 90 degrees to each other. Either remove these and apply power directly to the motor or put a meter across these and turn the fan switch on.

Update: Thanks to all for the help and ideas. Turns out in the end it was the actual switch was the culprit, although I have changed the motor istself as it was sticking a bit.

My 92 G60 blower was working on all settings, stopped came back to life for a day and now no longer works, what do ye guys think, blower motor?

I can feel hot/cold air coming through it depending on setting but only softly at all setting, will not be good enough for winter as G60 is my daily!

If so anyone have a guide on replacing? and are these motor hard got these days?

Thanks

John

No worries - the setup is very similar to a Golf Mk2, with 4 speeds instead of 3 I think, and the motor is easy enough to get to.  Check the fuses as well.

When I replaced mine I got a Valeo motor unit, and have had no issues since, but I think there quite a few options available.

Check this out as well:

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/fan_speed_thermal_fuse_repair.html

https://www.auto-doc.ie/car-parts/blower-parts-10449/vw/corrado/corrado-53i/1753-1-8-g60

I'd opt for one of the more expensive quality options (Vemo/Valeo/Meyle/Bosch) for peace of mind's sake.

Can i ask support guys for what blower and resister set to go for, direct links will be very helpful for my 1992 RHD G60, on auto-doc or other.... sorry about this as there are so many options, the G60 is standard UK no air conditions, if someone is selling a combo set that is simple plug and play please PM me

You won’t need a fuse if you are replacing the whole blower unit, as the fuse is part of it.

I replaced mine mainly because it was noisy and sounded like it was on its last legs.

I think any of the ones listed for Corrado will work - to be sure, take the old one out and check the part number and cross-reference.

Hope this helps.

16 hours ago, fendervg said:

You won’t need a fuse if you are replacing the whole blower unit, as the fuse is part of it.

I replaced mine mainly because it was noisy and sounded like it was on its last legs.

I think any of the ones listed for Corrado will work - to be sure, take the old one out and check the part number and cross-reference.

Hope this helps.

Thanks @fendervg::  I started car this morning ABS light turned on radio turned off (usual enough issue) , then blower worked on all speeds for like 2 minutes 🤷🏻 and stopped, would that suggest i could have a electrical fault rather than mechanical ...  -- the ABS thing goes away after a restart maybe a mile down the road ... i got a new radio head put in lately maybe this is the culprit, some bad wiring  

ABS needs a scan - likely dry solder joints in the pump, but I'd re solder the joints in the pedal position sensor first as that's easier. Heat from the manifold / engine warms the pump and the light will stay off after a restart.

If you're anywhere near Cheshire I can scan the car

Good pointers there on the ABS.

As for the radio, if that was the last thing inI I’d definitely remove it and inspect the wiring for any weirdness. These cars came with a radio loom from factory, so there should be no need to splice in anywhere.