Rocket Ron

2017 24hrs Leman France Corrado Forum Outing

Hello All

As promised I said I would look into putting some costs together to arrange a Corrado Forum outing to the 2017 24hrs Lemans in France which next year is over the weekend of Sat 17 & Sun 18 June 2017.

Next year’s plan is below and what I do every year camping on the circuit in the thick of it which is my preferred option as once you arrive there is no need to drive and you can take in the atmosphere.

I leave from Portsmouth as that is the easiest way for me just 5 mins down the road for the ferry have tried from Dover but longer to drive and by the time you budget petrol, tolls and time on the road the cost is about the same, but less time driving.

My Programme is and I find the more relaxed for a full on weekend:

Thursday 15 Jun: catch early Ferry 9am Portsmouth to Cherbourg fast cat 3hrs arrive 11am drive from Cherbourg 3 hrs to leman arrive at campsite usually about 4pm after visit to supermarket to purchase food and refreshments and set up camp possible BBQ few beers on completion visit circuit for evening practice.

Friday 16 Jun: Breakfast AM visit circuit to see cars in the pits. PM Drivers Parade catch tram to Leman Town and a meal.

Saturday 17 June: Race Day breakfast To track early 3pm race start and find good vantage point with your folding chair early to soak in atmosphere. Walk the circuit Live Band in evening night driving usually manage to stay up until about 3am.

Sunday Sun 18 Jun: Race Day up breakfast then to track for 3pm race finish and walk the track soak in the finish atmosphere. Usually go for a meal in town and evening on camp watch the fireworks few beers.

Monday 19 Jun: Break camp and Travel Back 5pm Fast Ferry from Cherbourg to Portsmouth arrive 9pm. Have visited one of the Normandy Beaches in the past depending on weather.

Weather this can be unpredictable Hot/Wet you got to allow for anything.

Regarding facilities Showers/Toilets there are not many but considering the amount of people they have to cover they are cleaned regularly, but you have to judge your visit ie avoid morning.

Now down to costs

General Entrance Ticket £79 (2015 price could increase)

Campsite Houx Annexe numbered pitch 7m x 5m (£87 2015 price could increase) minimum number of 2 Entrance tickets per pitch to be purchased. Set inside the perimeter easy for start/finish straight, circuit shops/drink stations and the tram terminus to leman town

Rough Ferry costs:

This would be the responsibility of the driver/individual to book and pay.

Portsmouth – Cherbourg Fast Cat 3hr return cost about £330 this cost could be split between those in car. 3 hr drive then to Leman

Portsmouth – Caen slow ferry 5hrs return cost about £199 this cost could be split between those in car making it cheaper. 2 hr drive then to leman

Dover - Calais 2016 price est £90 - £100 rtn about 5hr drive to leman + tolls

Le Shuttle 2016 price £130 rtn about 5hr drive to leman + tolls

It would be good if all could arrive at camp site together about 4pm, but this could be unavoidable because of where we are in the country. Please avoid arriving after dark.

Other cost to budget for are:

Breakdown cover, Insurance, petrol tolls also allow for about 300 – 400 Euros spending for the weekend but can increase depending on you. Food, drink and merchandise/impulsive buys (8 euro per pint on track)

For this year I am going small to start with if I get enough interest so going on 2 persons per pitch which has to accommodate tents and the car. Also because of the inclement weather some years Iast year I took a gazebo which was a good investment so plan to take again maybe 2 next year depending on numbers going.

To sum up camp site will consist of

Tents for 8 persons, Cars + Gazebos

I have to phone up the company I deal with (Just Tickets) first week in August to say how many pitches I would like so I am going to provisionally book 4 pitches and 8 general entrance tickets. A Deposit of £50 per pitch is required Total £200 for 8 persons £25 each to be paid the end of August/beginning September.

Outstanding amount once I receive final invoice has to paid to Just Ticket by end December 2016.

Total Cost for 8 2015 prices will be: Note this will increase once I receive invoice and 2016 prices are known.

8 x Entrance tickets @ £79 = £632

4 x Camp pitches @ £87 = £348

Special Delivery £10

Total = £990

Cost each would be £123 each minus the £25 already paid = £98.75

That leaves space for 4 more.

Once I have confirmation/commitment and payment of those going we can then decide who takes what and I will provide list of what to take.

Once last thing this trip will require an early commitment for payment and it is advisable that ferry booking are done fairly early as the dates do get booked up. It will also require a certain amount of team work at the campsite meals/cleaning up etc which can be decided once all have arrived on site. However you are free to do your own thing otherwise.

And finally for the petrol heads you will never experience anything else I’ve been doing it for the last 10 yrs.

I look forward to hearing from you and if I get early responses between this post and the first week in August I will ask for more pitches.

Think I have covered everything and If you have any questions please ask.

Link to a site covering the 24hr Leman below to look at to give you more information.

http://www.beermountain.com/

Regards

Ron White

PS Sorry post is so long.

Edited by Rocket Ron

4 Pitches Campsite Houx Annexe numbered pitch 7m x 5m and 8 General Admission Tickets provisionally booked today.

Those who would like to attend let me know by 26 August. Please read post for details.

Ron

Edited by Rocket Ron

As I have had no one reply I gather no one is interested in this.

Just telephoned the ticket company and the invoice will be sent next week for the deposit to be sent.

If you are still interested in this let me know by next week 15th Sept.

A further update will be sent when invoice is received.

Ron

Well that was a fairly disappointing outcome for your effort Ron

Personally I will not be missing out on our annual Le Mans 24hr JMR road trip. Forget F1, WEC is where it's at, real cars, real drivers and a real challenge. My opinion albeit, but none the less shared by 1000's of Brits who travel across the Channel to enjoy this fantastic race every year. Can't wait

Appreciate your efforts, Ron. I'm not much of a motorsport guy and I don't like all nighters - so Le Mans isn't something that's ever really floated my boat, hence not sticking my name down. Shame you didn't get more (any) takers though!

Sorry to hear you didn't get any takers for this Ron. I had been watching it with interest, but don't have a Corrado currently. Fully intend to do the trip next year in a Corrado of some description

Good to hear from someone at last. You don't need a Corrado to go any suitable vehicle will do even if you share with someone else to split the cost of ferry and petrol. Sadly I'm also not going next year so have to let the ticket company whom I had reserved 4 camping pitches and 8 entrance tickets that I will not require them this year.

Maybe LEMAN 2018 could be on the cards watch this space late next year.

Ron

I can't do next year so didn't comment.

Would love to do 2018 and bring my boy along, he'd love it by then I'm sure.

I had also been watching it but there's nothing worse than someone replying with "I'd love to go but... Insert excuse here", sadly my excuse was boiler packing up and various home improvent costs.

I genuinely would have loved to come firstly because I am absolutely useless at organising anything and secondly because I've always wanted to go.

Sorry to see no takers but it's great to see the effort!

When I'm in a better financial position I'd love to attend something corrado related

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk