mic_VR

ABS sensors from ECP

I'd go for VW parts myself - you have warranty cover then. Alternatively buy ATE or Valeo from a reputable source. The cheap sensors will only fail after a few thousand miles and they are a pain to get out and fit. They are a false economy in my opinion.

You're dealing with a high performance car after all, albeit an old one, and should be using good quality components where safety is concerned.

All four of my original VW sensors are still working perfectly after 23 years and 90K miles! The pump unit is another story however.

There isn't much to the sensors, not really much technology in them, Think its just a magnet with two wires attached.

I went for the Eircher ones when fitting the Teves20 system and they work fine (the first time in 10yrs i've had my ABS fully functioning)

I had to destroy the old ones to get them out, but once out i just ran a dremel around the hole they fit in and the new ones just slipped in without needing any force.

Good thing with ECP is I can get it today and get the car moving over the weekend. For £18 it might be replaced soon but I'm refurbing all the running gear over winter anyway.

I'll try TPS before I order though

The only downside to ECP is the soul destroying wait in the queue while people in front return parts.

VRS wheel speed sensors can vary even though they are a simple enough technology, sensor gap between reluctor ring and the tip of the sensor can cause issues if not seated correctly or the dimensions differ.

You should always check and if needed, replace the ABS sensor rings to see if they run true when changing to new discs. It's in the service manual. They are not expensive, and easy to change on the rear. The front ones are a bit more tricky. It's up to you and your budget really, but I like to go with what a good mechanic or VW themselves would recommend.

That's a good shout. The rings are fine, I had the wheel/disc off last night to have a look.

I can't see anything obviously wrong so I'm going to believe VCDS and see if it's the sensor. Just want it running to get to VW festival next week then it's coming off the road again.

What sensors do you need? Front or rear? My car is sat doing nothing so i could remove mine and post them to you if you wanted to test/borrow them for a few weeks.

its the front passenger side according to VCDS.

ECP have one for £14 so I'll just grab that. Thanks for the offer though mate. You'll have stripped that car and rebuilt it in full 3-4 times soon!

I put an ECP one on the back of mine temporary 4 years ago,and it's still going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, used 2 rears and 1 front and they're still going strong a year on with the beacon of doom a distant memory.

its the front passenger side according to VCDS.

ECP have one for £14 so I'll just grab that. Thanks for the offer though mate. You'll have stripped that car and rebuilt it in full 3-4 times soon!

I've gotten so used to not driving it, its become worrying now :lol: