ozowen

CCGB - Why can't we fill shows

The one thing that everyone seems to be forgetting regarding the suggestion of combining the 2 forums is as follows:

I am sure you all (and me included) will want transparency of how monies are spent by whoever owns the forum. "NO", I hear you say? What? So you simply hand over your hard earned cash to someone who spends it in a way that he/she does not need to justify to you?

The only institution that can normally get away with this is the government (at all levels). In the private sector this is unheard of (shareholders' reports, trust members' reports, etc).

Even if the CCGB did merge with this forum, we still need that transparency towards our own members by statute of us being a club and us having to be transparent to our members in how we spend our money. How can we do that, if we chuck a lumpsum to a forum that we have no control over?

"Don't care" I hear you say, well, sorry, but having been a company director for quite some time, I for one do care and would want complete accounts of whoever spends my money on a service that I am paying for as a shareholder of that "company".

Tempest

Eric -

Rather than thinking of it in such a formal way. Why not think of it as a contribution to running costs.

It need not be a Club but a Forum where everything happens.

The 350z Club have a set team of administrators who manage all things - with contributions made only.

No - You do not have to contribute to be a member. And yes, they do still have the relevant insurances - I did ask a few questions privately to one of the admin team when I first joined.

If you wanted to - you could still be in the Team surely so you had access to such accounts etc.

Just my penny's worth !! :-)

The corrado club should have a separate identity to this forum. But maybe sponsor a sub forum here for events etc... And CCGB chat... I rarely visit the CCGB website.

Can't remember who I was speaking to at Harewood at the weekend but I was saying how well the VR6OC is doing at the moment. Never used to go on there much but the app is really good and the Facebook posts do work well to grab people's attention. Well done mate

The CCGB has tried with the Facebook posting but although the content is good it's not very often. A CF app would be good, if I knew how to create one!

Cheers mate. It's been a big task and essentially stripped the club back to basics.

I noticed there is a fan page but worth setting up a group in addition to the fan page as User reach is comparably low unless you pay to "boost" posts.

Group is a good compromise. Also set up feeds to post new forum posts automatically to Facebook which helps drive traffic to the website.

The software was a big investment and months in the planning as the software I was using was over 10 years old and the web and the way we access content has changed slot since then :)

Our app is based on tapatalk API and uses a custom app / branding.

I'm working with the developers to implement new features and classifieds platform so can see it growing over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete - What is the size of the operation for the VR6OC? As in how many of you are running it? Is it literally just you?

I have often admired how modern the VR6OC setup is and how active you guys seem and always wanted to know a bit more.

We are relatively small now a team of 5 as automated a lot of activities of which 3 are involved with day to day running and promotion of events etc... 2 are back office with memberships, merchandise but little effort required apart from popping membership packs in the post, our back end system even generates postal labels !

We make it fun, attend shows as a team, have a laugh as mates and that's what what it's about. We don't have a committee as such as its quite old fashioned way of thinking about things (what's app group works pretty well).

Being part and running a club is supposed to be enjoyable as its all done in our spare time so don't think of it as a business or organisation.

I'm an IT manager at work and applying the same thinking to running a club doesn't work Keep it simple, keep it fun for members and your team

Way back at E38 around 2004/05 the CCGB had a stand/gathering of which I was cooking the BBQ for everyone. I recall having heated conversations then because I wanted to hand out Burgers and so on to Corrado Forum folk not just members. The Forum chaps still around will remember this !!

Despite this way back then it does not feel anything has changed.

Shame as I feel the Club is really loosing out now.

Hopefully the CCGB might take the opportunity to speak with you further Pete with you having first hand at dealing with such transitions and of course the Forum owner now.

AS you say it is meant to be fun and enjoyable for admin/commitee and its members - not a pain in the ........ !!! We all have common ground !!

I had intended to keep quiet so as not to offend but hearing what Wendy has said that does not surprise me 1 bit. In the early days of corrado ownership I met a few CCGB members who were rude and very unwelcoming. I am not, nor will I ever be a CCGB member for that reason.

I know a few people, not just myself, that feel the CCGB is a purist group. My car is modified because its my car and I'll do what I want with it and after a few snide comments here and there just puts me off further.

I've always felt that the corrado forum and CCGB are 2 completely separate entities, it certainly feels that way, the forum is an extremely friendly place with all the information I need and tonnes of advice at the click of a button.

Like I said, I'm not intending to offend anyone just my thoughts. Dwindling numbers will occur as the number of corrado's reduce, its just the way of life sadly

For my part I have been a forum member here for 13 years and CCGB member for 1 year only during that period. I'm not as devout a corrado nut as some but I log on here most days. The forum offers me something it draws me in, the CCGB didn't, I don't know why but for me it is as simple as that.....

I had intended to keep quiet so as not to offend but hearing what Wendy has said that does not surprise me 1 bit. In the early days of corrado ownership I met a few CCGB members who were rude and very unwelcoming. I am not, nor will I ever be a CCGB member for that reason.

I know a few people, not just myself, that feel the CCGB is a purist group. My car is modified because its my car and I'll do what I want with it and after a few snide comments here and there just puts me off further.

I've always felt that the corrado forum and CCGB are 2 completely separate entities, it certainly feels that way, the forum is an extremely friendly place with all the information I need and tonnes of advice at the click of a button.

Like I said, I'm not intending to offend anyone just my thoughts. Dwindling numbers will occur as the number of corrado's reduce, its just the way of life sadly

Like Jim I sit on both sides of the fence in this debate, we are both mods on here and committee members of the CCGB.

Swiftkid (and others), I completely agree that some club individuals of that time were rude, arrogant and not good for membership but I do believe that is not the case now.

Forum and Club, the last serious merger effort was made less than 3 years ago and the idea of a CCGB sub forum was proposed as an option and agreed on by the CCGB committee at that time to look into it. Conversations regarding money ensued and frankly the number required to make that happen was not sustainable from a CCGB perspective at over 50% of the membership fee for all members at that time going to sub forum costs.

To expand on what Eric has touched in and Wendy has also mentioned, running a Club requires certain rules for it to operate - ultimately people pay their hard earned in and one of the primary functions of a committee is to ensure that money is spent responsibly.

So in Wendy's burger example how would you feel if the Club was handing out food you had paid for (via membership) to people who hadn't? (Sure if some were left over etc etc)

Finally for those that don't know (and many won't) a previous chairman of CCGB stole a lot of the clubs funds (pre 2005 before I got a Corrado) this is another driving factor in how the CCGB spends the members money and accounting for it at the same time.

The most frustrating thing for me is, I just want the situation sorting - some kind of resolution. It's extremely difficult being involved in both 'clubs' at a high level, and trying to remain impartial on both sides of the fence. I feel guilty when I arrange an event, and don't advertise in both locations, etc and fed up of having to try and defend the club, or defend the forum against people who are passionate for either side. It's been extremely tiring frankly.

Hand on heart, I've actually said a number of times to other committee folks I feel the club should just fold up. But I also believe that we can offer something more to Corrado owners as we do have a good warchest financially - and we've proven we can do events which people enjoy and feel it justifies their membership fee (such as Brooklands a few years ago, where we covered the entry fee for every member who wanted to attend, including the chance to park on the banked circuit). It just seems to have gotten harder to make things happen every year.

Good effort for sticking with it Jim. Lots of "sticking with" required with Corrados I think.. a job only for the dedicated.

At the end of the day we love the Corrado, so why can`t we just get a long.....Life is short, so lets get on or move on!

Edited by Dogma

From an outsider point of view it sounds madness that there was such a divide over giving out burgers :) sounds like the problems are deep-rooted within the current committee and need to resolve and move on and forget the past and rebuild.

Offering out food or what ever gives the perception of being approachable / friendly non-clicky but sounds like the perception is the exact opposite, price of a burger is nothing compared to potential interest and possible additional members (additional funds), if you are not seen as a friendly club then people wont want to join.

You cant live in the past and going over how things were / happened back then you just need to draw the line, change of admin team and move on if it still is a dividing issue amongst your current team - that's the message I am getting from reading the above comments.

Having events to closed members isn't ideal - When I organized the V6 festival for VR6OC everyone was welcome, and also those from other clubs / forums (we had nearly 100 cars there, this lead to increased traffic to website, increased membership numbers) - of course didn't cover fees of going on the track people had to pay for themselves, but if you have getting dwindling club members then that model no longer is sustainable and need to look at a more long term plan of survival.

Also on a side-note, remember Club VR6? they were around a long time before VR6OC, and were in a further advance decline than CCGB, there were a lot of internal politics and divides that pulled the club apart, operating from mailing-lists and old school ways of thinking, and even considered out dated way back in 2003!

clubvr6.jpg

Well - VR6OC purchased what was left of the club and absorbed into VR6OC - Original announcement still online - https://www.vr6oc.com/club-vr6/announcement.html - Playing devils advocate here and if something that has been discussed in the past and that would be instead of folding up CCGB (never understood why it would focus on UK only, the world is a pretty big place!) it is instead absorbed by The-Corrado forum (the bigger entity), re-branded and something like The Corrado Club and give it a new lease of life.

Sounds like there are conflicts of interest with being involved with both clubs, especially when there has been such history which still looks to be a sore point for individuals involved.

It is hard to let go of something that has been so close to your heart for such a long time, I have thought about it myself in the past and handing over the reins, but have to resolve differences and move on, if you are unable to do that as a joined up committee and it then in turn impacts on the running of the club then someone has to make difficult decisions and think about making changes within the team, over the years I have I probably cycled through 3 - 4 new teams with the VR6OC to keep things fresh and if the team dynamic has changed, people cannot commit, moved on, lack of interest, doesn't have club bests interest at heart.

Fair play Pete, you talk a lot of sense and if people could get their heads around the idea of 'the corrado club' I think that'd most certainly be the best way forward.

Personally, I think a lot depends on the current owner of the forum and whether a merger/takeover is something they'd consider. Without knowing the monetary value of each entity it's difficult to know what's even possible, but fresh life and the social media useage you put forward just has to be the way to progress.

I follow VR6OC on FB and do see updates probably daily, especially links to adverts which will draw interest as well as incentivising people to place adverts [at a cost? im unsure?]

The CCGB seems to be a closed circle of "we like standard cars!" CF seems to be "we kind of like everyone but OEM+ please" and they're not a million miles from each other. Fit air ride or lower your car too much though and both can come across as "f**K off to E38!".. which I did. :thumbleft:

My 2p worth

I have been a member on the CF before I even had a Corrado, as I use to come for technical information and help for my VR6 golf.

I am also a paid member on the CCGB and the only reason was, I wanted some merchandise when I first got my Corrado and I wanted to attend the shows and get on the club stands. But according to event list, there was hardly anyone going to show so just gave up.

But for any help with Corrado, or buying and selling Corrado related stuff. I always turn to the CF, even google points you at the CF if you type in a Corrado question.

Back in the VR6OC day where I was also a member and a moderator at the time, it was so easy to put your name down for the club stand, as it was open to paid and non paid members. Which was always going to be better, for new members to come and join in on the club stand, and if they liked it would become paid members.

But like has been already said, the 2 Corrado forums need to become 1. As there are not as many members and Corrado’s out there to warrant 2 forums.

A new forum should also welcome all types of Corrado’s (modified, standard, on its last legs), and all type of members (rich, poor, in Corrado debt) for the club stands.

I would also like to see, maybe new name for the forum, new logos and new merchandise.

If there are any shows that our members want to go to, and there is enough interest. We should request a club stand space for the members, so they can represent us at the shows. Even if the show type is not our thing.

Fair play Pete, you talk a lot of sense and if people could get their heads around the idea of 'the corrado club' I think that'd most certainly be the best way forward.

Personally, I think a lot depends on the current owner of the forum and whether a merger/takeover is something they'd consider. Without knowing the monetary value of each entity it's difficult to know what's even possible, but fresh life and the social media useage you put forward just has to be the way to progress.

I follow VR6OC on FB and do see updates probably daily, especially links to adverts which will draw interest as well as incentivising people to place adverts [at a cost? im unsure?]

The CCGB seems to be a closed circle of "we like standard cars!" CF seems to be "we kind of like everyone but OEM+ please" and they're not a million miles from each other. Fit air ride or lower your car too much though and both can come across as "f**K off to E38!".. which I did. :thumbleft:

HEY not me, mines a bomb site of mods and stupid ****!!! hahah

I would come to more shows, I quite enjoyed that. But the C is not in top cosmetic shape. I am just not the kind of person for polishing. (Or washing, quite frankly.. :) )..

I would come to more shows, I quite enjoyed that. But the C is not in top cosmetic shape. I am just not the kind of person for polishing. (Or washing, quite frankly.. :) )..

I'm the opposite.. Love to clean and polish the car but hate showing it off.

I find the Shows etc a great place to give my Corrado the attention as I am stuck there and good to do while the chaps are searching for ever more spares and rusty bits !!!

Shows are not really my thing either, much preferring Motorsport, bikes, cars, trucks, hillclimbs, rally, touring, F1 - all of it.

Age may be related to this - I have done so many shows, so all are old hat and ish dull IMO.

I go for the friends made over the years as they are great catch up venues.

With the way this thread has gone - maybe more Forum folk might come forward to Suggest and organise Meets, whether a drive Out of a Sunday morning, A Show they want to attend opening it up to others to join in, same with Motorsport.

Blimey! Just spotted this post. I've owned the GNU since 2003 and frankly, didn't think my car worthy of joining the CCGB! When I did, I waited to get it to a certain standard before showing it. I really wish I hadn't waited. It doesn't matter how shiny - or not, or how stock or modified it is. If it's a Corrado then just do it!

I've probably done about five shows this year (I'm on the Dorset coast), and the best ones I've been to are the mixed meets that aren't VW alone.

I've found some greats mates in the CCGB and I've had some really invaluable help and advice. Not to mention assistance in finding odd bits of trim.

I spent time dishing out CCGB membership forms at Harewood as it was prime hunting for new members. I've been really keen to see more members with modified cars join. It's not all about concourse stock cars. There's room for all.

As a member, I've offered my services with the 2017 calendar. It's something I can do as I cannot step up to committee level as I'm trying to work full time and run two part time businesses!

So. That's the good. Getting involved and going to different shows with what I now consider as mates.

I've tried my best to get a local meet every first Sunday of the month, but the apathy is pathetic. We have a fair few Corrados in Dorset and I've not managed to get more than 3 together (thank you chaps)! So, it's not only CCGB related.

The website is poor and in need of an overhaul and I'd love it if the forum and CCGB could be more integrated but one is a commercial entity and the other is enthusiast run. I can't see it happening. Nothing will change in a hurry but I'm trying to assist this in a small way by participating in events and helping where I can. If 500 of us did that, well, who knows where the CCGB could be? Use it or loose it.

Is some of this a numbers game? The Corrado was always a niche car when it was brand new so the pool of followers who would in the end be keen enough to be part of a club was always small compared to a Golf GTi. It then didn't help that VW killed the car off and have largely ignored it as part of their heritage. I bought a 911 back in November 2013 and soon after joined the Porsche Club of Great Britain. It cost a lot more to join but the quality of their product is really impressive even if you don't go to shows. I know comparing CCGB to PCGB is unfair as the related economics and no doubt wallets of some 911 owners (not me!) makes the whole PCGB operation a very profitable one. I applaud the efforts of Jim, Eric and others in continuing to persevere. I sold my Storm in May 2015 so my days of being an intermittent participant on the Corrado scene are behind me. Again coming back to my opening statement I can't see CCGB regaining it's glory date of the 2000's due to lack of numbers and as others have noted this forum and other social media are probably the future for the Corrado stalwarts. Good luck to all and most importantly long may this forum continue so I can have a fix of Corrado action every so often!

It is a numbers game to a degree, a lot less cars than there were and as I mentioned previously both the CCGB and the CF have less activity now compared to 10 years ago.

This isn't about trying to recapture the attendance of shows past - the show scene itself have changed substantially in this time too.

Just to clarify my previous comments about burgers etc, I am not living in the past just trying to add context to the debate as its too easy to comments without all the information.

Frankly a quick check of 'how many left' shows how few Corrados are still left around and this reflects the reduction in activity.

As for the OEM/OEM + etc debate, horses for courses, hopefully the community can embrace all but I appreciate some folks feel put out, for me its always been the quality of the work not the type of work.

Finally in an ideal World I would rather see the Club and the Forum as one happy entity but in doing so one of those is going to loose identity, frankly a sub-forum works best for me but the cost of that has to be reasonable, certainly no more than is currently spent on maintaining a site, server etc.

It doesn't matter what your Corrado looks like; it's a Corrado and it's running

I'm the opposite.. Love to clean and polish the car but hate showing it off.

But people will love seeing it.......and it inspires the next generation in hopefully aquiring one as it promotes the Car

I find the Shows etc a great place to give my Corrado the attention as I am stuck there and good to do while the chaps are searching for ever more spares and rusty bits !!!

Shows are not really my thing either, much preferring Motorsport, bikes, cars, trucks, hillclimbs, rally, touring, F1 - all of it.

Age may be related to this - I have done so many shows, so all are old hat and ish dull IMO.

I go for the friends made over the years as they are great catch up venues.

With the way this thread has gone - maybe more Forum folk might come forward to Suggest and organise Meets, whether a drive Out of a Sunday morning, A Show they want to attend opening it up to others to join in, same with Motorsport.

Nail and head spring to mind.........I've been to Tatton Park for a good few years now, mostly as an add on to the Mk2 Golf owners club as I share some parts.......the show is still good but a high percentage are repeat cars so the walk round is often done in an hr or so the rest of the day is meeting with some like minded folks and having a good catch up..

Edited by ozowen