Sign in to follow this  
markmcie

Rear wheels lock under heavy braking

Hi all,

On the odd occasion I have too brake heavy either one of the rear wheels tends too lock up leaving a nice black mark on the road 8) The car is on normal springs so Im doubting the bias valve needs adjusting.

Is this a normal thing on a Corrado or do I need to get my toolbox out ??

Thx

Mark

It shouldn't be locking at all if the ABS is working! What age is your G60? I'm pretty sure most of them came with ABS.

Doh, should of said - no ABS on mine. It came on a J plate.

The springs are very soft so the nose tends too dip and and rear lifts and feels very light. Its kind of gradual so is controlable but id like too know if other corrado's dop this.

Not all g60's have ABS; Biggrim's doesnt, its a J plate. If you dont have ABS you need to get your toolbox out, if you do have ABS you need to get your toolbox out twice!!!

The rear brake bias adjuster, on the left side of the rear beam. If your car is lowered, you have to adjust this to make it come on earlier, it is also worth checking htat your handbreak cables are not stiff, causing the brakes to be on a little already, before you plant your foot on the pedal.

very much!

I dont know the term, but AFAIK the frotn brakes can be adjusted by ABS independantly, the rears are done together.

The ABS was part of the facelift on the 92 J, along with all the other (discussed loads of times) changes.

Mine is an early J and as such doesn't have ABS. I fitted the Brembos on the front and wound the rear bias valve right down as it kept locking a rear under hard breaking. Having the soft springs won't help as the weight transfer will accentuate the problem.

HTH

J

Having the soft springs won't help as the weight transfer will accentuate the problem.

H&R springs are ready for collection 8)

Back brakes shouldn't habitually lock, no matter how soft your springs are. Sounds like you've got messed up brake load balancing valve, or completely seized rear calipers.