coullstar

New key, programming and alarm....

Looking at a car that has one key (95reg) and a Toad alarm. I'm trying to figure out costs to replace the standard key with programming included so has anyone done this recently?

I'm also wondering if the key will need programmed as will the aftermarket alarm/immobiliser cut out the factory one so I'd need to just get a new alarm fob?

IIRC VW charge 50 notes to code a key to the car but then the new wouldnt match the old so not sure how they would handle that

maybe VW can order you a new key using the chip code from the old one & as such avoid the coding

AFIK the key talks to the receiver collar around the barrel, which then tells the immob all is ok

Ive been told by some I can go into Vag com - engine and adaptions, then erase learnt values for the keys. After that it should read the new keys and start.

Will the alarm (Toad I believe) likely bypass the current immobiliser making it redundant though?

I know Stealth can delete the immobiliser from the ECU, but not sure if its as simple as deleting it through VCDS. Let us know how you get on though, as I only have one key as well so I'd like to find out.

Ive been told by some I can go into Vag com - engine and adaptions, then erase learnt values for the keys. After that it should read the new keys and start.

Will the alarm (Toad I believe) likely bypass the current immobiliser making it redundant though?

when VW coded my new key to the old immob collar the technician told me that he didnt like doing the task as the kit they use has to talk to a central database in germany & that the db switches off each day at a certain time

as such i dont think vagcom can do it

the 'other' option, but admittedly not a very good one, is to split both keys in half & swap the code chip from the old key to the new one - however that is only really useful if you have had a new barrel & dont need the old key

Spoke to a local auto-electrician who reckons a new key + coding should be easy to do. I mentioned the alarm and he said just take it out. Im thinking the same as they are more hassle then there worth IMO.

Spoke to a local auto-electrician who reckons a new key + coding should be easy to do. I mentioned the alarm and he said just take it out. Im thinking the same as they are more hassle then there worth IMO.

winner :)

Toad alarms are by far the best alarms available, had one on every (old) car I've owned and never had any problems. Got one on my VR at the moment, it shouldn't bypass the immobiliser, or rather it couldn't unless someone has removed immobiliser from ECU.

As for key, it can be done with vagcom as I've done it, can't remember the website though but I did post it on here

Thanks, good to hear. I've only experience with the Cobra one and it was a pain.

Hopefully the alarm pin is there so I can reprogrammed new fob if required.

Could i just remove transponder from current key and tape it to barrel then have another key cut without having to code?

Obviously immobiliser is then redundant.

Could i just remove transponder from current key and tape it to barrel then have another key cut without having to code?

I'd say yes to that, my mate has an old skoda and does exactly that

possibly - i dont see why not as long as the other key does not have a transponder in it

When I lost my sole key, VW were a waste of time. After over a month, I was told the car was too old for them to provide a replacement.

Auto locksmith managed to get into the car, made up new key, coded to the transponder. I also have a TOAD alarm. If you email TOAD with the serial number and proof of ownership of the car (IIRC) they'll email back the pin code for the alarm. For me it arrived the very same day. Coding a new TOAD fob was dead easy - mind you the fob wasn't cheap - abt £50 I think.

Cheers

Jeff

When I lost my sole key, VW were a waste of time. After over a month, I was told the car was too old for them to provide a replacement.

Auto locksmith managed to get into the car, made up new key, coded to the transponder. I also have a TOAD alarm. If you email TOAD with the serial number and proof of ownership of the car (IIRC) they'll email back the pin code for the alarm. For me it arrived the very same day. Coding a new TOAD fob was dead easy - mind you the fob wasn't cheap - abt £50 I think.

Cheers

Jeff

hmmm i wonder if i could do similar with the alarm on the valver - as a previous owner in between me owning, selling & re-owning the car had lost all the paperwork for the CAT 1 i had fitted

Its seems decent lock smiths the correct gear will be around £100 to code and make new key. Alarm fob will be £50 assuming PIN is there so £150 all in to get new key set up.

Its seems decent lock smiths the correct gear will be around £100 to code and make new key. Alarm fob will be £50 assuming PIN is there so £150 all in to get new key set up.

I think that sounds about right. My locksmith was a bit more expensive but then he had to gain access to the car. I also got two keys from the locksmith.

Yes you can as that's what the mk2 vr6 boys do. I think I just got a key with random transponder and coded it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Okay found this - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_I_Key_Matching_(Separate)

As far as I know Corrado will have 4 digit code. I think you need Vag-tach to get this code though sonit can be done with Vag-tacho and Vag-com it would seem.

Is there a good source for spare blanks with the chips or is this dealer only?

Has anyone done this? Been let down by various people on this so might try it myself as I know someone with vagtacho.

Also wheres best to get spare bare keys with transponder?

17 hours ago, PatrickJames said:

A local locksmith can program these keys easily and they charge reasonable cost for their service, try them once.

I bet it’s not a problem anymore with it being 6 years ago. 🤣😂🤣