robrado974

Which paint [rattle can] do you use ?

Evening chaps . While my car is sorn , as im refurbing the underside , ive been looking at a few other bits that need sorting . The battery tray is in good condition but has a little surface rust . What is the best way to treat this before paint ?.Also im going to use a rattle can to spray the area afterwards , so where do you get good quality paint in a can ?.

Regards

Rob

Rob,

I struggled to find aqua blue pearl so in the end I bought a can and lacquer from someone in Ireland off eBay - it was mainly for the drivers side a post and sill under the plastic trim so not crucial for a great finish prior to proper respray at some point, but I as very pleasantly surprised with the quality of finish. Let me know if you want me to try and find out who I got it off.

Cheers,

Tim.

I've used paints4u before a couple of times Rob, mixed results with regard to colour match bur not a million miles off, and won't be noticeable in that area if it is off. Good price too.

if you have access to an air compressor even a small 25L, buy a small sand blasting gun {£25} and cover the engine and car , it makes jobs like this an absolute breeze especially in hard to reach corners, then expoy prime bare metal., if the rust isnt 100% removed then you have only brought yourself time before it grows again, rust treatments/convertors are crap and not worth the risk of paint bubbling up in the future...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Spot-Sand-Blasting-Kit-Air-Compressor-Remove-Rust-Paint-Dirt-Nozzles-90-PSI-/131422454717?hash=item1e996383bd:g:nhcAAOSwPhdU1I8-

use etch primer if you want but epoxy primer is far better here, its water proof!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRAYMAX-2K-EPOXY-PRIMER-FILLER-BEIGE-400ML-AEROSOL-SPRAY-2680032-/261565453345?hash=item3ce6841421:g:LHEAAOxyLN9Sh5Eu

Take the surface rust area back to bare metal, with a wire wheel or something that can get into the pitted metal, etch(Upol or mipa) branded aerosols are good, prime, rubbed it back till smooth then paint.

I would take the fuel filler cap and the paint code to a local automotive paint shop and get them to make you up an aerosol of paint. It will be a better match the anything online.