Jim Bowen

Bought a car today

To replace my current 2006 audi A3 2.0tdi. Will still have corrado, but wanted something that will hopefully be hassle free for a few years, cheap to run, but still not any old heap.

Decided on a 3 cylinder 1.0 fiesta... Lol. Its not as bad as it sounds, looked at lots of car over the last year and fiesta ticks the boxes, was below budget by about £5k and local.

2016 Zetec S with the 140ps engine. Think it weighs about 1040kgs.

Almost got an ST2 but thought i'd probably end up preferring it to the corrado :lol: quite impressed with the 1.0

Almost got an ST2 but thought i'd probably end up preferring it to the corrado :lol: quite impressed with the 1.0

The Ecoboost 1.0 is surprisingly brisk, no doubt about it. As someone with an ST-2 though I can promise you would have enjoyed it if you could put up with the hard ride. It's extremely uncompromising on bad roads, but extremely good fun to drive.

Car is just over three years with 24k on the clock and hasn't put a single foot wrong. Forced me to re-evaluate my opinions of Ford!

That also put me off, the firm ride on the ST, i work in the middle of nowhere so drive down really naff roads each day. I remember you had an ST Jim and everyone with them seems to like them. But i could see me wanting to tune and modify an ST if i had one. Plus i could afford the zetec S to buy outright, the ST i would've borrowed some money and had a monthly bill to pay

The Ecoboost 1.0 is surprisingly brisk, no doubt about it. As someone with an ST-2 though I can promise you would have enjoyed it if you could put up with the hard ride. It's extremely uncompromising on bad roads, but extremely good fun to drive.

Car is just over three years with 24k on the clock and hasn't put a single foot wrong. Forced me to re-evaluate my opinions of Ford!

Wait until you come to trade it in....lol

Brand new the car was £16,600. I bought a 7 month old one with 11k on the clock for £11,500. Couldn't justify buying new and a year later i'd of lost about £5k

Wait until you come to trade it in....lol

What do you mean? It's on PCP so I can just hand it back. I've been closely following my settlement value vs market value and it's about been on the button the whole time.

Tempted to just buy it outright though at the end of the term as it's a superb car.

I looked at PCP, but the numbers didn't seem to add up, would cost quite a bit more for me. Basically about £11k to have the car 3yrs, do 45,000miles and then walk away with nothing or give them another £5k at the end.

I looked at PCP, but the numbers didn't seem to add up, would cost quite a bit more for me. Basically about £11k to have the car 3yrs, do 45,000miles and then walk away with nothing or give them another £5k at the end.

whoa!!! that is some outlay - £3666 per year or £305 per month

reaffirms why i dont look at new cars as i would never afford that lol

Costing me a good amount less than that for the ST, weirdly.

To be honest I would have said the same 3 years ago, and maybe after I'm done with this car I'll go back to driving a snotter again... but I was just desperate for a reliable, comfortable, modern car. Haven't regretted spending the money one bit. It's been nice to have a car I can depend on, backed by a warranty rather than this feeling of dread every time you're faced with any drive longer than a trip to the shops :)

Rushing to get the Corrado fixed, over a weekend in the middle of winter, because I need the car the following week just got.. old.

Costing me a good amount less than that for the ST, weirdly.

To be honest I would have said the same 3 years ago, and maybe after I'm done with this car I'll go back to driving a snotter again... but I was just desperate for a reliable, comfortable, modern car. Haven't regretted spending the money one bit. It's been nice to have a car I can depend on, backed by a warranty rather than this feeling of dread every time you're faced with any drive longer than a trip to the shops :)

Rushing to get the Corrado fixed, over a weekend in the middle of winter, because I need the car the following week just got.. old.

very understandable sentiment Jim & sensible too

i just simply wouldnt be able to outlay anything like that - it is not far off what my mortgage repayment is lol

reaffirms why i dont look at new cars as i would never afford that lol

It would have been £200 a month, the rest of the money you leave as a deposit, which you also don't get back.

The best deal seems to be personal leasing through a 3rd party, £975 down, 3yrs of £166 a month and then give the car back.

It is total piece of mind, Ive looked at it a lot over the last few years especially for the main family car.

To be fair these days its hard to buy a newish car that is bad, there all at a good level especially for a daily runner.

20161116_181034.jpg

Picked it up yesterday lunchtime, have done about 100miles so far, really pleased with it, didn't want something that would replace the corrado, but wanted something that wasn't going to give me grief and meaning i have to get the spanners out. Can hopefully concentrate on the corrado now.

20161116_181034.jpg

Picked it up yesterday lunchtime, have done about 100miles so far, really pleased with it, didn't want something that would replace the corrado, but wanted something that wasn't going to give me grief and meaning i have to get the spanners out. Can hopefully concentrate on the corrado now.

Looks great :) Think Ford really nailed this generation of Fiesta.

Few recent pics, given a decent clean, i also waxed it this weekend using dodo juice stuff.

20161119_153608.jpg

20161119_153713.jpg

Added an S badge to the front grill, (i think i like it)

20161119_155911.jpg

20161218_144954.jpg

20161218_145050.jpg

20161119_153643.jpg

20161119_153630.jpg

Added a land rover footrest next to clutch pedal and got some stainless sill plates to fit. Will probably leave engine standard. Seems to be loads of modifications available for the car. Must resist spending money on it.

Ford really nailed this generation of Fiesta. They're great looking cars!

Trading this in for a 2017 ST3 on Wednesday. Quickly lost £4k in value during the time I've had it so thought may as well lose the money on a faster one instead.

Already ordered the mountune mp215 for it. Basically an airbox and a remap to take it to 215ps

Ford really nailed this generation of Fiesta. They're great looking cars!

Yeah, I generally don't like Fords, but I love the way they managed to style the Aston Marting lookalike front end with the big grille - makes the cars look really sporty and aggressive, regardless of what's under the hood.