Geeba

Rescued White VR!

This turned up this morning!

Been sat on a driveway for 3 years, the gearbox has gone but its a 2 owner car from new and the body work although very green and grubby is really good!

It's very wet and smelly as water has been running in but both inner and outer sills are solid, the gearbox (auto) has failed but theres a spare one in the boot. it's completely standard and all there so I'm looking forward (once the rain stops) to getting it up and running again.

A little worried about trying to start it, think I need to drop the oil and water etc...

Nothing some TLC won't sort out. Good luck in getting her started

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This turned up this morning!

Been sat on a driveway for 3 years, the gearbox has gone but its a 2 owner car from new and the body work although very green and grubby is really good!

It's very wet and smelly as water has been running in but both inner and outer sills are solid, the gearbox (auto) has failed but theres a spare one in the boot. it's completely standard and all there so I'm looking forward (once the rain stops) to getting it up and running again.

A little worried about trying to start it, think I need to drop the oil and water etc...

Yeah - I'd drop the fluids and also turn the motor over by hand off the crank a few times to ensure it's all free. Would also consider draining whatever fuel is in the tank and sticking something fresh in as 3 year old fuel won't be too good :)

Cheers guys! :D really chuffed with it... no rust to speak of which is a relief - spent the afternoon pressure washing the moss and muck off.. look's so much better, fitted a battery, power windows, mirrors, sunroof, central locking and spoiler all working fine! didn't try to start it as I could hear the alarm clicking, tyres keep going down but I guess that is to be expected after 3 years being stood.

Just placed a de-humidifier in to try and dry it out a little, tomorrow I'll strip the interior and start washing it all - but now its beer o'clock!

Interior is out! started washing it all yesterday but it's not easy when the weather is so rubbish :(

I'm having trouble moving the car about, its easy-ish to push forward but it doesnt want to roll backwards? - is this something to do with the auto box? - I've never had one but seem to remember something about not towing autos?

Possibly something to do with auto box or brakes binding. If it's been standing 3 years the rear calipers if not mk4 golf would possibly be binding. Have you jacked the car up to see what wheels spin.

Edited by delfinis38

Yeah we did have to give the calipers a wack and a good dose of WD40 but they seem to rotate ok... I definitely made sure it was in Neutral and I can push it forward on my own... but to push it backwards took 3 people and even that was hard work, I'll have to look at getting a winch to get it in the garage as I need to get it off the driveway.

I do need to look at MK4 calipers for the rear, have you done yours delfinis38?

Was thinking of it but wanted to keep every thing OEM as mines very low mileage only 40k. Easy enough to do carriers are the the same it's just the calliper and and flexi that's different you need goodridge or aftermarket flexi' as they are banjo fittings. loads of info on here how to do it. Wiki is as a good resource.

I hardly ever put my handbrake on as the rear callipers which are actually mk1 golf are shocking.

Vwspares or vw heritage or classic part Germany are good for spares.

Cheers delfinis, I'll probably go for Mk4 items when I rebuild the rears, I want to keep everything as close to OEM as I can but also need it to be usable really, your car with 40k on I'd definitely keep original... unfortunately although in very good condition this one is 140k :( - I can remember the calipers on my MK2's and 3's were awful too.

Dont suppose you know of a good wheel refurb company around our way do you?

Pristine Alloy Wheel Refurbishers in Woburn Sands (next to the train tracks) has a good reputation. Not used them myself.

Yes only used pristine before, but very expensive.

If your feeling rich. New Speedline from Germany are 339 euros each. Just bought a spare set.

Or if you like solitude rims which the golf and the corrado storm had you can get these for 90 Euro now.

Search Classic vw part Germany

http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de

Edited by delfinis38

I see that there are a number of us down south. Anyone interested in a meet up in Spring when the weather is a bit better?

(I still need to get my G60 back on the road after last years supercharger incident).

I see that there are a number of us down south. Anyone interested in a meet up in Spring when the weather is a bit better?

(I still need to get my G60 back on the road after last years supercharger incident).

Could be depending whether I'm working.........

Yep always up for a meet up, as long as it involves a pub garden of course :D - my Corrado is going to take a bit of resurrecting, but hopefully will be done by the summer

Cheers chaps - I'll give pristine a bell, not sure I can run to a new set at the moment unfortunately.

Looking to try and start her today maybe, just bought a new set of leads from euro car parts... not the best quality but its all I could find at short notice after the set that were on there pretty much fell to bits as I tried to pull them off the plugs :( - I've drained and changed the oil, new filters -air and oil, new plugs... drained what was left in the rad and filled with antifreeze/water.

Looked under the car as well at the weekend, the exhaust is completely shot... am I right in thinkingh that the Jetex is as close to OEM/Stock as you can now get? - I did ask in the engine section but unfortunately no one has replied as yet, I'll need to get one pretty soonish.

I will keep my ear out of the window for the burbble... :) if it's not been started for a while it will sound really rough mine does, after a few months of being idle.

Do you have a plug lead tool... ? You can buy them cheap off eBay... the plugs don't just pull off very well.

Sorry can't help with the exhaust mines standard.

Best of luck

Edited by delfinis38

Cheers delfinis :D - yeah its gonna be noisey 3+ years of standing and an exhaust with holes, would be nice to get a standard pipe, but I would imagine these are long since discontinued.

Ahhh plug lead tool? no, I havent got one, dam could of saved myself a new lead bill! I was using long nose pliers, not great, but the leads had welded themselves to the plugs.

Yup standard exhaust long gone... the mid box and rear box were a complete unit, you either had to remove the rear beam to fit or do a cut and shut.

If you have a standard exhaust on you will need to cut it to remove it... sounds like your moving on with this project.

Might be worth changing the fuel filter as well if not already done?

Ian.

Good shout.. and some new super unleaded.

Edited by delfinis38

Ah ok - same as the MK1 Focus RS, thats a complete system axle down job, I'll take a closer look at the Jetex, I dont want anything to loud and boomy.

Yep Ian I think it will need a re-think, I dont know why I thought this was going to be straight forward - just tried it and nothing, the electrics appear to work ok, lights, windows, central locking etc. but the engine wont turn over and I would expect to hear the lifter pump running in the boot when I turn te ignition on... but there is a ghostly silence.. the battery is new, but been stood for a few months so I've just put it on trickle charge, I guess I'll try again tomorrow, my biggest worry is the alarm/imobiliser is shot, the light is on but it doesnt respond to the key fobs.

I really need the warmer longer days :(

Yes its moving along delfinis, I have to move pretty quick as its on the front of the house so already getting "the look" from the Mrs, I need to get my garage sorted, but I've just spent the last 2 years building an extension so its full of building tools etc. I've already removed the mildewy interior, wet valleted it and dried it out, its come up and absolute treat considering the age, I got the G-Mop and the 3M easy-cut at the weekend too and tested an area on the bonet, again looks like it will come up very nice, a few patches where the moss has eaten in will need wet flatting and mopping, but for a 24 year old car I think it will clean up nicely. :)

Another worry is the ECU in the passenger foot well has a rusty water mark on it... I think I'll also have the relays and fuses out for a clean and dry out.

Edited by Geeba