Geeba

Rescued White VR!

Well if you ever sell the VR, I would be interested.

Cheers spen - I'm kinda hoping to get it back to full roadworthy state and take my boys (maybe even the Mrs :) ) out in her, but if at any point I get the hump it will definitely be for sale on here. ;)

Cheers Seanl82 - yeah the dash ticking is a worry... all the LCD displays are flashing on and off too now :( - the battery is brand new so I guess I have power problems, I thought it was going to be an easy starter, but I guess 3 years have taken their toll.

Hopefully the weather will be better at the weekend and I can get some bits done.

Ahhh you're running a Jetex? how is it? I need a new exhaust too, but want as close as I can to stock noise/looks etc

Jeter is pretty good, no droning at all while cruising but a nice rasp up through the revs. I had a vr with a magnex for a short time and it was pretty much identical in looks and sound. On a standard airbox it was near silent, though I am deaf in one ear! The induction noise is where you get most of it from if you have a 2 box non res system.

Cheers spen - I'm kinda hoping to get it back to full roadworthy state and take my boys (maybe even the Mrs :) ) out in her, but if at any point I get the hump it will definitely be for sale on here. ;)

I like the auto's, my Mrs has one, it's the only way to fly if you live in a city these days with all the traffic. Let me know, I'll have first dibs!!

Well a cold day spent swapping starter motors, cleaning connections and earth's... I've removed the old alarm as well... It turned over once and that was it :-( since then..... Nothing

Dash is still clicking, LCD is still flashing on and off most other stuff works... Indicators are a bit iffy but I think it's the switch... Think I'm going to need an auto electrician... Anyone know one that's any good... Or even better knows Corrados?

I know nothing about electrics.. but is it worth changing the ignition switch... PITA to do, but if yours has never been changed it would be a good idea to change for the future... switches are quite cheap and they break up. Changed mine a few years ago as I was not getting a switched positive.

Ignore me if I'm talking a load of rubbish.... I realise it doesn't solve the flashing and clicking.

Theirs a wiki on how to do it.

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/ignition_switch_replacement.html

Edited by delfinis38

I'll second that. Too many times on here does that switch cause gremlin issues. Well Worth a cheap swop and certainly an experience to do ...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'll second that. Too many times on here does that switch cause gremlin issues. Well Worth a cheap swop and certainly an experience to do ...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

:) I like bent screwdriver shafts...

Yup this will test you.... but it's possible... took me about a day just to get the one screw in and out... few bent screwdrivers and a mirror your be okay...

Mine was about 30 quid from the dealer, bought genuine like you as I only want to do the job once.

The advice to take the driver seat out and put a pillow in the footwell is a good one.. definitely makes the process a bit more comfortable!

Yeah I have memories of doing my MK2 GTI some years back... not fun, and I imagine the Corrado will be similar :( fortunately I've already removed most of the interior and plastics which I've been cleaning and drying in the evenings ;)

I just smashed mine out with a big screwdriver and hammer. The screw only seems to be there I think to stop car thieves popping it out. The screw doesn't do anything to hold it in as the connector on the back clips in to the column and holds it all together. If I had to change it again, it would be a two minute job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My first test will be to see if the motor turns over with the new switch... the flashing dash is more of a worry, I think there is a deeper issue in all honesty, just leaving a car to stand is the worst thing you can do.

WOOOHOOO! £37 later and the VR6 turns over... unfortunately it doesnt start thou :( - it appears to attempt to fire on the first turn then nothing... but I guess its a start.

I've poured a gallon of super unleaded in but the fuel gauge doesnt move off the pin... maybe I need to check the float and the lifter pump next?

But its progress - all the interior is pretty much ready to go back in, just need to repair or replace the sound deadening and I was going to get some dinitrol to spray inside the doors etc.... I'm still very supprised on this car complete lack of tin worm! :) although I might just mix up some duck-oil (got a gallon in the shed) and oil to spray in until the weather improves and I can get the car fully dry, then think about dinitrol/wax

Edited by Geeba

Does it actually fire (as in start) and then cut out again after a second? Or does it not start at all?

WOOOHOOO! £37 later and the VR6 turns over... unfortunately it doesnt start thou :( - it appears to attempt to fire on the first turn then nothing... but I guess its a start.

I've poured a gallon of super unleaded in but the fuel gauge doesnt move off the pin... maybe I need to check the float and the lifter pump next?

But its progress - all the interior is pretty much ready to go back in, just need to repair or replace the sound deadening and I was going to get some dinitrol to spray inside the doors etc.... I'm still very supprised on this car complete lack of tin worm! :) although I might just mix up some duck-oil (got a gallon in the shed) and oil to spray in until the weather improves and I can get the car fully dry, then think about dinitrol/wax

Pleased for you mate... if you have the doorcards out it's worth changing the strikers on your door handles... another known weakness of the corrado. They eventually break and leave you locked out. Dave on here sells them or you can buy them off eBay... made of stainless as opposed to cheap monkey metal that breaks about 25 quid a set.

Well worth doing If you intend to keep the car.. I guess yours are origional. If your taking door handles out one screw is left hand thread one is right hand thread.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?10426-Door-handle-repair-kit-THEY-ARE-NOW-AVAILABLE&highlight=Door+handle+repair+kit.

Afternoon fellas - yep Cressa it was a replacement ignition switch, like I say I don’t think I'm out of the woods yet electric wise as the dash is still flashing and the fuel gauge doesn’t appear to work... but I had a grin like a Cheshire cat when it turned over :D

It’s not really a complete fire Jim... feels like maybe one cylinder is having a try, I need to get an HT lead removal tool so I can check the plugs for fuel etc - I'm not convinced the lifter/tank pump is running. I can only describe it as the sort of fire you keep the key turned and your foot on the gas for and sometimes it sparks into life.. but on this occasion I don’t think it will.

Cheers delfinis - that’s a great tip, I can’t actually see any pictures on Dave’s thread, I'm guessing its the bit of cast on the end of the handle that pushes down on the lock mechanism to open the door?

You should be able to tell if the fuel pump is running at least.. if you put the ignition on you can normally hear the fuel pump kind of woosh / prime itself for half a second or so. Not a particularly scientific method but might give you a clue. Would probably help to have the back seats down and the boot carpet out just so you can hear it from the driver seat!

Wonder what state the fuel filter is in as well - that's definitely going to want changing!

While were on electrics origional headlight switch is a known fire risk. Either fit inline fuse in the loom or buy one of mats LED version switch.

Inline fuse mod here

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?49497-Headlight-switch-and-loom-fires-DIY-prevention&highlight=Headlight+switch+fuse

Or get your name down for one of matts.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?96213-2017-Headlight-Switch-group-buy-is-a-go!&highlight=Headlight+switch