Geeba

Rescued White VR!

I will keep my ear out of the window for the burbble... :) if it's not been started for a while it will sound really rough mine does, after a few months of being idle.

Do you have a plug lead tool... ? You can buy them cheap off eBay... the plugs don't just pull off very well.

Sorry can't help with the exhaust mines standard.

Best of luck

hi delfinis

when it starts rough, having been stood for a couple of months, do you find it clears up with a good run?

reason i ask is that the VR is sounding rough after starting & i am unsure if it is due to not being used since beginning of december or if i have an ISV niggle upcoming.

i dropped it off at my mechanics at start of dec but it had to wait for HiSpec to manufacture the calipers & then christmas & my mechanic being ill. he said it was struggling to idle when he last moved it

Ah ok - same as the MK1 Focus RS, thats a complete system axle down job, I'll take a closer look at the Jetex, I dont want anything to loud and boomy.

Yep Ian I think it will need a re-think, I dont know why I thought this was going to be straight forward - just tried it and nothing, the electrics appear to work ok, lights, windows, central locking etc. but the engine wont turn over and I would expect to hear the lifter pump running in the boot when I turn te ignition on... but there is a ghostly silence.. the battery is new, but been stood for a few months so I've just put it on trickle charge, I guess I'll try again tomorrow, my biggest worry is the alarm/imobiliser is shot, the light is on but it doesnt respond to the key fobs.

I really need the warmer longer days :(

Yes its moving along delfinis, I have to move pretty quick as its on the front of the house so already getting "the look" from the Mrs, I need to get my garage sorted, but I've just spent the last 2 years building an extension so its full of building tools etc. I've already removed the mildewy interior, wet valleted it and dried it out, its come up and absolute treat considering the age, I got the G-Mop and the 3M easy-cut at the weekend too and tested an area on the bonet, again looks like it will come up very nice, a few patches where the moss has eaten in will need wet flatting and mopping, but for a 24 year old car I think it will clean up nicely. :)

Another worry is the ECU in the passenger foot well has a rusty water mark on it... I think I'll also have the relays and fuses out for a clean and dry out.

just to let you know Longlife in birmingham managed to fabricate a new SS on my lowered VR with everything in situ - it was £400 with hiflow cat

just to let you know Longlife in birmingham managed to fabricate a new SS on my lowered VR with everything in situ - it was £400 with hiflow cat

Cheers g0ldf1ng3r - Sounds good! how does it compare to stock noise wise?

Ah ok - same as the MK1 Focus RS, thats a complete system axle down job, I'll take a closer look at the Jetex, I dont want anything to loud and boomy.

Yep Ian I think it will need a re-think, I dont know why I thought this was going to be straight forward - just tried it and nothing, the electrics appear to work ok, lights, windows, central locking etc. but the engine wont turn over and I would expect to hear the lifter pump running in the boot when I turn te ignition on... but there is a ghostly silence.. the battery is new, but been stood for a few months so I've just put it on trickle charge, I guess I'll try again tomorrow, my biggest worry is the alarm/imobiliser is shot, the light is on but it doesnt respond to the key fobs.

I really need the warmer longer days :(

Yes its moving along delfinis, I have to move pretty quick as its on the front of the house so already getting "the look" from the Mrs, I need to get my garage sorted, but I've just spent the last 2 years building an extension so its full of building tools etc. I've already removed the mildewy interior, wet valleted it and dried it out, its come up and absolute treat considering the age, I got the G-Mop and the 3M easy-cut at the weekend too and tested an area on the bonet, again looks like it will come up very nice, a few patches where the moss has eaten in will need wet flatting and mopping, but for a 24 year old car I think it will clean up nicely. :)

Another worry is the ECU in the passenger foot well has a rusty water mark on it... I think I'll also have the relays and fuses out for a clean and dry out.

I'm with you on the warmer longer days... is the passenger footwell wet then ? Could be scuttle seal needs changing or dare I say it heater matrix. Battery and immobiliser will be a good place to start.

hi delfinis

when it starts rough, having been stood for a couple of months, do you find it clears up with a good run?

reason i ask is that the VR is sounding rough after starting & i am unsure if it is due to not being used since beginning of december or if i have an ISV niggle upcoming.

i dropped it off at my mechanics at start of dec but it had to wait for HiSpec to manufacture the calipers & then christmas & my mechanic being ill. he said it was struggling to idle when he last moved it

Either a good run or leave it to idle on the drive for 10 mins to get the oil flushed round the system.

Cheers g0ldf1ng3r - Sounds good! how does it compare to stock noise wise?

you can hear for yourself - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?44751-g0ldf1ng3r-s-VR6-amp-1-8-16V/page7 ;)

couple of videos on there & pics on page 8

i love it though & it has gotten better with age in terms of sound

in fact there are currently 2 reasons i cant wait to get the VR back....

1. to test its new 4 pot HiSPec Billet 4's but also

2. because i have missed the burble i can get when downchanging, ooo its sooo nice!!

unfortunately i couldnt get the video to capture that but it will give you an idea & then i wrote full review type details on the updates on my build pages

I'm with you on the warmer longer days... is the passenger footwell wet then ? Could be scuttle seal needs changing or dare I say it heater matrix. Battery and immobiliser will be a good place to start.

Yep the car has had water ingress for a considerable amount of time by the look of things, the drain holes were blocked and since clearing and putting the seal back on it appears to be better, I guess I won't know about the matrix until I get it fired up. immobiliser looks to be a factory fit? did they come with alarms back then? - I guess just unpluging it from the loom wont work...?

Either a good run or leave it to idle on the drive for 10 mins to get the oil flushed round the system.

thanks fella - kinda what i thought & also what i had experienced in Oct

i gave her some full beans after warming her up & she behaved for the next couple of weeks

these rado's dont like to be stood doing nothing, they throw toys out the pram if not used lol

Yep the car has had water ingress for a considerable amount of time by the look of things, the drain holes were blocked and since clearing and putting the seal back on it appears to be better, I guess I won't know about the matrix until I get it fired up. immobiliser looks to be a factory fit? did they come with alarms back then? - I guess just unpluging it from the loom wont work...?

yes m8, well, late VR's anyway as my 1990 valver didnt have one the 1st time i owned it

conlog jobbies IIRC but they also have a manual disable normally in the passenger under tray

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Factory fit and dealer fit alarm and immobiliser... my j plate 16 valve which I had from new had a scorpion. My n plate has a laser line from new. The laser line has I think a manual override by a key on the siren and a separate key thob for manual override of the immobiliser

What alarm is it ?

Edited by delfinis38

Its this one.... would this just stop it from starting or would it stop the fuel pump and the engine cranking over? - it has got a key switch, but unfrortunately the car didn't come with another key :(

That's not a laserline alarm, not seen a fob like that either before. The key in the siren will be either manual override or valet mode.

I'm sure alarms were dealer fit items. Mine had a Conlog but some dealers fitted a Simba alarm. It might be best to get an alarm engineer to remove your alarm as I know a lot of us have had problemswith the original alarms.

Called round for a few quotes on the gearbox today... I'm not sure the auto is going to be the cheapest route even thou I have two of them... one in the car apparently water damaged and one that came with the car and is supposed to be good, Gearbox companies are saying that bits are no longer available and need to be repaired, like valve bodies.... prices are ranging from £1200 to £1600, I'm wondering if (as long as it runs) it's worth doing the manual conversion....

This is local to me.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CORRADO-VR6-CHN-COMPLETE-GEARBOX-5-SPEED-GOLF-VR6-UPGRADE-VENTO-PASSAT-MANUAL-/272038355359?hash=item3f56bfe19f:g:6U8AAOSwo6lWPK~R

I'm trying to like the auto idea... but I went out in an auto Tiguan earlier today... and the whole droney thing had started to annoy me after about 5 miles... Hmmmmmm :(

Edited by Geeba

Interesting lunch break... definately not the battery... fully charged diesel cranking power brand new Duracel battery, no fuel pump or solinoid click from the starter.

Cleaned every fuse and relay, blew out board with compressed air duster...

So as much as I hoped it wasnt the alarm, it looks like it is, so I whipped it off.. three words on the back you dont want to see an anything electrical! "Made In Italy" - some great designs and inovations, but leave the engineering to the Germans.

I voided the warranty and took it appart...;) the board was so corroded the components had actually fallen off the PCB :( - so now before I can go any further I have to work out the rat nest of alarm wiring..... joy.

Just removed some of the wiring... now sounds like the fuel pump is priming as I can hear a short noise from the back of the car that wasnt running before... only thing I have noticed is the instrument cluster is making a ticking noise and the needles are bouncing... any ideas?

Anyone know where I can pick up a spark plug cap removal tool? - ebay and the web seem a bit short on results.

The ticking noise certainly sounds like dead battery, but make sure all earths are correct around the battery and block.

The spark plug tools are quite hard to come by now, and are pretty rubbish at the job anyway. There are quite a few metal ones on ebay (I can't get a link on work computer sorry), which are much better for around a tenner iirc.

Worth investing in one of those!

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem mate. Just trace back all wiring from the alarm module and remove and repair/replace where its been spliced in.

Anyone know where I can pick up a spark plug cap removal tool? - ebay and the web seem a bit short on results.

sorry no - i can post you one to borrow if you want to use it & return it though

EDIT - it is a metal one which i think i got off here many moons ago

Cheers Seanl82 - yeah the dash ticking is a worry... all the LCD displays are flashing on and off too now :( - the battery is brand new so I guess I have power problems, I thought it was going to be an easy starter, but I guess 3 years have taken their toll.

Hopefully the weather will be better at the weekend and I can get some bits done.

Ahhh you're running a Jetex? how is it? I need a new exhaust too, but want as close as I can to stock noise/looks etc

Cheers g0ld ;) really appreciate the offer... I'll try and secure one that I can keep, will probably hold on to the VR... well maybe.. :D

Cheers g0ld ;) really appreciate the offer... I'll try and secure one that I can keep, will probably hold on to the VR... well maybe.. :D

no problem but do let me know if you want to borrow it

Vw supplied a really rubbish tool to remove the plugs.. it was sometimes fixed to the bonnet stay and sometimes in the tool kit. Most cars I've seen don't have one...

Sealey one of eBay is okay.

Out of the village until next week. Otherwise you could of borrowed mine...

Let me know when you decide to sell:) we could wheel her down to the church :)

Only joking your doing that car proud. Looking forward to seeing the car on the road.

White is my favourite colour.

Edited by delfinis38

Vw supplied a really rubbish tool to remove the plugs.. it was sometimes fixed to the bonnet stay and sometimes in the tool kit. Most cars I've seen don't have one...

Sealey one of eBay is okay.

Out of the village until next week. Otherwise you could of borrowed mine...

Let me know when you decide to sell:) we could wheel her down to the church :)

Only joking your doing that car proud. Looking forward to seeing the car on the road.

White is my favourite colour.

LOL!

Its starting to feel like a church service and a burial might of been the best idea!

Hopefully once the weather breaks and I get the garage cleaned out it will move on at a brisker pace... I need to make a decision on the gearbox, but didn't want to do that until she runs - a non runner is a different ball game.

Hmmmm not a huge fan of white, but I think its more popular these days.