Sign in to follow this  
bigbob

Recommend me some new discs (16v rado)

am after new discs front and rear for a 1.8 16v rado

im a fan of the drilled discs because quite simply i think they look ace when visible behind the wheels

got next to new PAGID pads on the front and rear but want to get new discs as they are on the way out

what would you guys recommend? dont want to spend the earth but dont want cheap crap that will crack when i give the rado a beating!!

thanks

Chris

may get flambed for this one, but GSF have got some drilled discs for 29.50 each on the fronts - and IIRC about the same on the rears. Was going to give them a pop when mine need doing. Also going for the pagid pads too, someone said they kick out a lotta dust. However, some also rightly said "you wash your car every weekend right?" :D

I had the ATE power disks, (the one that looks like it has the nuclear warning sign on them - well at least it reminds ME of that), I know theyre not drilled but they were fine on mine b 4 it was wrote off (no fault of the disks btw) and they look a little different from the standard rotors

you cant go wrong with zimmerman cross drilled discs for the amount they cost,think gsf are doing brembo max discs to now for not much cash

Don't get Pagid grooved discs. They're shite. Not only are the grooves the reverse of the normal direction (deliberately), but I've worn down the grooves in 6000 miles!

Stick with VAG discs and Pagid FR pads...... not much else betters that combo imo.

I recently fitted plain ZImmerman discs from GSF £21.50 +vat. Seem ok, but then again haven't had em on long or gave em any hammer.

I've got some Black diamond discs front avalible if interested. done about 1k on them maybe less

I would recommend the Zimmerman cross drilled discs from GSF, with either standard or Pagid fast road pads. Before i upgraded both my front and rear brakes i used these to good effect and have fitted them to many of my customers Corrados.

Stick with VAG discs and Pagid FR pads...... not much else betters that combo imo.

why do you think vag discs are so good?just because vag sell them doesnt mean they are made by vag,i bought some rear discs from a local company and they said they buy the blank discs in from italy,drill them then sell them on to vag,ford,vauxhall etc and its them who stamp them with the vag,ford signs etc..

You know the quality of the VAG discs and there cheaper than most of the others mentioned from GSF etc, most of the 'OE' quality discs I have seen from GSF etc don't last more than one set of pads but you know VAG discs will last alot longer...

one of my golfs was still on its original front discs at 100k and I brought a pair from GSF that only lasted a year! My G60 is approaching 90k and the original discs are still fine but will probably need doing soon due to wear tollerances so at £20 a side i'll have another pair of VAG ones i think and they seem to work very well with Pagid FR pads!

Whatever you do , don't buy cheap GSF discs or EBC pads (there awful!)

Supercharged, vag discs arnt made by vag,they are bought as blanks from italy for i think he said £2 a disc then they get drilled,the reason i know this is because a local company supplies vag,ford etc.so vag discs are no BETTER than any other disc

Dazzy, I know there not made by VAG, most parts aren't but the quality control on parts that VAG use will be much higher than the stuff thats gets sold thru GSF/ECP - No question!

From personell experience I've tried a few types of discs over the years and most pads and the only ones that i've never had problems with are VAG discs and Pagid pads...

just gonna order some Pagid FR pads for mine, but a mate asked if there are any issues with them eating the standard discs?

I had the Zimmerman X-drilled disks with Pagid FR pads on my Golf 16v. Bought the lot from GSF can't remember how much but it was pretty cheap. To be honest I don't think i'd of been able to tell the difference between them and some new Std ones. They did look nice though :)

just gonna order some Pagid FR pads for mine, but a mate asked if there are any issues with them eating the standard discs?

Nope there fine and braking responce is really good, as Kev says the Pagid grooved don't seem to be up to much as half of his grooves are worn away in less than 10k's and I would have thought they were made to go with the FR pads??

Leave it Supercharged, Dazzy is obviously very biased towards Zimmerman drilled crap things. I tried them with some Mintex 1144 pads and they were absolutely shite. Warped within a month.

I've used VAG discs with Pagid FRs for 10 years. That is why I say they are good, because they are. Simple as. Who gives a toss who make them. What ever they're made of clearly works.

Leave it Supercharged, Dazzy is obviously very biased towards Zimmerman drilled crap things. I tried them with some Mintex 1144 pads and they were absolutely shite. Warped within a month.

I've used VAG discs with Pagid FRs for 10 years. That is why I say they are good, because they are. Simple as. Who gives a toss who make them. What ever they're made of clearly works.

Thos drilled ones were tested by Fast Car mag and won. beating all the expensive stuff. Theres got to be something in that.

Std Brembo or ATE disks from GSF/Euro are cheap. As these are the discs that come out of VAG isn't that another way to go? The guttman ones are just cheap me hears.

Agreed, mind you it may have been the Mintex pads that were the problem... I had some on a Golf with Mintex discs also, The pads kept going shiny every 500 miles, kept taking off, sanding down applied more grease, carefully wearing them in again and the same thing kept happening, I got fed up and changed for a set of standard Pagid pads which were fine, sent the pads to Mintex who found them to be a faulty batch (compound too hard) and refunded me, then about 6 months later with the new pads only slightly worn, I had to change the discs as they had warped (probably bacause of the first set of pads overheating them)

where the fcuk do i say im biased towards zimmerman discs,all i said was for the money they are good,16vg60 even fits them to cars and i think he knows his stuff,all i was saying was the vag ones are cast in italy then they are drilled elsewhere and are all made from the same material,just because you kev say they are shite doesnt mean they are..unless you think you know best

Nearly 2500 posts Dazzy and no Donation to the forum... tut tut

Surely you can spare a tenner to help Andi out with some of the running costs of the site...

Your from Wales not Scotland :wink:

one thing is puzzling me here.............where are these VAG/VW drilled discs from????????.....AFAIK VAG/VW only sell the plain vented ones :? :? :?