dr_mat

Coolant loss ... crack pipe likely .. ?

So the Corrado decided life was too good for the last little while and dumped all that nice new coolant on the ground for me today. Gee thanks..

Anyone prepared to hazard a guess as to which component has failed based on the following pics:

Hmmm.. kinda hard to tell. Either the crack pipe or possibly the housing with the coolant temperature sensors in near the top right of the second picture? Possible that may have cracked, or an o ring failed?

i'm with Jim, as the crack pipe itself does look quite dry, even by the little side arm to the oil cooler.

Agree, it's very hard to tell... I couldn't remember if there were any outlets in the bottom of the crack pipe (um, surely this isn't the official name for it..).

It fizzles out when the coolant system starts to pressurise. Was piddle out something chronic when it went the first time as the system was well up to temperature.

And anyone know where is the best place to get these parts from? I have a full set of spare hoses in the shed (at least I think it's a full set..), but will need to buy new other items.

I'd certainly get the front end off for this regardless.. it's not a terribly time consuming process, but makes working on anything in that area FAR easier.

I have a vague thought that there's actually a tap on the crack pipe as it's meant to be one of the places you can drain coolant from... but not sure on that. I was also previously told that the crack pipe can be a bit of a git to change as the block can corrode a bit around where it fits in, and removal and certainly getting a clean fit / seal on the new one can be a pig.

I've ordered such parts from AVS (http://www.vwspares.co.uk) in the past - would happily recommend them.

Aggh, would rather not get the front end off..! Though to be fair, there's not that many components so how hard can it be .. ? Is there a write up on this in the Wiki? I doubt I'll be doing it myself, however.

Yes, I was looking at AVS. I have no idea whatsoever how to buy a thermostat housing though.. AVS have no less than three different assemblies and sets of bolts to go with them. And how come the thermostat for a VR6 is twenty quid?! :)

Looks like it could be where the crack pipe enters the thermostat housing to me. I replaced my whole housing, seals bolts and all from VW themselves not too long ago. I initially used a set from Ebay but it leaked as the two mating surfaces weren't completely flat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could be. Looking at it some more today and I can't see much, but if I top up the water level then water comes out steadily somewhere, and makes its way onto the oil filter housing, then drips off the bottom of this. This points to the oil cooler hoses, but tbh it could still be coming out of the plastic pipe or the junction further up and running down the pipe. Anyone else seen these symptoms?

I'm thinking to get a set of spares together, AVS are looking into some parts of the thermostat housing which seem to be out of stock for me, and I'll get a pair of oil cooler hoses. Anyone ever seen the oil cooler itself rust through?

Access is really, really bad in there isn't it ..

How much was the set of gear from VW, Rado87?

Edited by dr_mat

Yeah just checked again and it's pretty clear the top end of the pipe is dry so it seems likely the thermostat housing and the joint to the pipe is not at fault. The plastics feel pretty solid in fact, not brittled.

Seems likely it's the coolant hose that connects the oil cooler into the block that's leaking, at the block end. This sits directly above the oil filter housing and there's a clear drip right there in the photos. Pain to get to though.

Edited by dr_mat

It could be. Looking at it some more today and I can't see much, but if I top up the water level then water comes out steadily somewhere, and makes its way onto the oil filter housing, then drips off the bottom of this. This points to the oil cooler hoses, but tbh it could still be coming out of the plastic pipe or the junction further up and running down the pipe. Anyone else seen these symptoms?

I'm thinking to get a set of spares together, AVS are looking into some parts of the thermostat housing which seem to be out of stock for me, and I'll get a pair of oil cooler hoses. Anyone ever seen the oil cooler itself rust through?

Access is really, really bad in there isn't it ..

How much was the set of gear from VW, Rado87?

As I say, whipping the front end off will save you a lot of time and a lot of scrapes! Means you can have a proper look around in there too.

As I say, whipping the front end off will save you a lot of time and a lot of scrapes! Means you can have a proper look around in there too.

Absolutely. Just rather unwilling to have a go on my driveway. I think I know what's blown, now trick is to get replacements and get it in there.

Days like this I really really wish I had a spare car...

Well, I was right, it was the hose, but snapped the union off the crack pipe whilst trying to remove it so had to swap that too.. which of course resulted in part of the thermostat housing cracking, so... A few new parts, some G13, and she's back ..

Always good to read about a problem sorted

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk