Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Favourite car you've ever driven....?

Another potentially sad one, but I love my Mk1 Rocco, can't get enough of it :D Harsh suspension, tight cornering, handling like a go-kart, what more do you want in terms of driving fun?

Tempest

One of the best I've ever driven is a Honda Integra Trpe-R...incredible drive...drives like a RWD car...brilliant fun.

But the one that stands head and shoulders above the rest as the 'best' would be a current shape 911 C4S...that took my breath away...I just didn't realise you could feel so at one with a car...I was expecting great things, having driven a few Porsches before, I expected it to feel special...but nothing could prepare me for exactly how special it was.

Incredible car...the first time I have ever properly driven a car and felt it was laughing at my meagre attempt to find out what it could do.

The only car I've had a proper drive of (hours of driving) that's honestly left me speechless.

Fantastic...and worth every penny.

Well apart from my 'rado (which I love because it's mine), probably a friend's father's TVR Griffith 500. Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha! British Racing Green, and 5.0l of pure power. The howl from engine as you floored it was unbelievable (and it didn't even break down :) ). The experience was probably made better by the fact that I had a 950cc 205 at the time....

Second to that was probably my first car, a '73 GT Beetle 1600, now there was something that taught you about cornering....

I also thoroughly recommmend driving 'old' cars if you can get your hands on them. My dad has a 1925 Chummy Austin (the first car he bought), and a 1935 Morris 8 (the first car my Grandad bought). There's nothing quite like double de-clutching while trying to slow up for a juntion with your arm hanging out of the window due to the lack of indicators :D

Just when you think that your C is the dogs danglers, and amazingly quick etc etc, you drive something else and it blows you away... in my case, it was a 1991 928 S4 - 5.0 V8 with some 320 plus bhp. its staggering how much power these cars have, and it doesnt stop coming! you just run out of road and have to take your foot off the loud pedal.

Despite all this, my C is still one my all time favourite cars to drive just as a great drivers car.

I once drove my mums partners Porker 996 (bought direct from the factory they gave him a months insurance for the family!). Still prefer my C, much cheaper when it goes wrong!!!

But...My dads taken me for a drive in:

XJ220 - still my dream car

Lister Storm - headache in five mins

F40 - mmmmm

Diablo

Countach - blew away a boy racer in a Cortina about 15yrs ago

Ace Cobra 427 - 'I can tell thats a fake mate!' heard about 10 times (quarter of a million quid invoice put them right!, mind you this was during the days of silly prices in ther early 90s)

Maserati Bi-turbo - cant believe you can pick these up for £5k now.

Thers others but I cant remeber.

Before anyone gets too jealous or thinks its complete BS, my dad works in the trade and these were all vehicles on pre-sale inspections!!

Ace Cobra 427 - 'I can tell thats a fake mate!' heard about 10 times (quarter of a million quid invoice put them right!, mind you this was during the days of silly prices in ther early 90s)

:crazyeyes: I am in awe... :o That's my favourite car of all time.... 8) I soooooooo want to have a go in one of these it's untrue... :|

Too true - an original Cobra 289 or 427 really is something got behold, its just a shame that most people see it and are convinced its running on Jaguar running gear and was assembled in your back garden!

Still rather have my car and a house to live in than a Cobra and a tent (although its a close cal!!)

Before anyone gets too jealous or thinks its complete BS, my dad works in the trade and these were all vehicles on pre-sale inspections!!

His name's not Tom Hartley by any chance is it? :wink:

Too true - an original Cobra 289 or 427 really is something got behold, its just a shame that most people see it and are convinced its running on Jaguar running gear and was assembled in your back garden!

I think that's because it's the most copied car of all time! Practice makes perfect :?

I can spot a fake MR2 based Ferrari F355 a mile away, but I must admit, some of the AC Cobra kits are astounding and really hard to distinguish from the real thing, until you start nosing round the interior and mechanicals that is.

I'm also a fan of them. Is the 427 the one Carol Shelby built, i.e. the mental one?

Apparently the sales guys for the Shelby versions used to tack $50 bills to the windscreen and told the passengers they could have it if they could reach forward and grab it during full bore acceleration, LOL!

And it was also heralded as the most dangerous car of all time. It could lose traction in any gear on any surface at any speed......but then that was tyre technology back then for you!

I think there most red blooded males number 1 car of all time, I think its one of the few cars you could say "Im just takin him out for a spin love ill be back in a couple of hours", I cant think of any other car that you could refer to as male :lol: , ive heard it said that they were the reason we have speed limits also, didnt they test them on the M1 when they drove out of the factory :twisted:

it's got the record for highest percentage of owners it's killed, and for the longest skid marks in history leading to a fatal accident! :crazyeyes: The accident was on a californian road and ended as they went off a cliff... the driver was killed when the car hit the beach... :?

The speed limit thing is kinda true... an AC Cobra coupe (the Le mans race version) raced an E type jag down the M1 at speeds in excess of 150mph... The police cars of the day (morris minors!) couldn't keep up or catch them (Well, duh! ;) ) and this was mentioned in the houses of parliament as the new 70mph speed limit was introduced....

it's got the record for highest percentage of owners it's killed, and for the longest skid marks in history leading to a fatal accident! :crazyeyes: The accident was on a californian road and ended as they went off a cliff... the driver was killed when the car hit the beach... :?

The speed limit thing is kinda true... an AC Cobra coupe (the Le mans race version) raced an E type jag down the M1 at speeds in excess of 150mph... The police cars of the day (morris minors!) couldn't keep up or catch them (Well, duh! ;) ) and this was mentioned in the houses of parliament as the new 70mph speed limit was introduced....

I might be wrong here but wasnt the coupe version, whilst ugly, capable of nearly 200 mph over 40 yrs ago!!!! :twisted:

I think there most red blooded males number 1 car of all time

Yeah definitely a bloke's car alright. There is not one feminine thing about it :lol:

I reckon it's wayward handling could be tamed with some decent shocks and rubber but the main issue is the Cobra platform is ancient, and Shelby put 3 or 4 times more power through it than AC ever intended! Hence it killing a lot of people.

But then the original RS Cosworth killed off a fair few people too.

Too much power in the wrong hands is always going to end in disaster.

Too much power in the wrong hands is always going to end in disaster.

*cough* lol.

Still rather have my car and a house to live in than a Cobra and a tent (although its a close cal!!)

You can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house :D

The 427's are the Cobra's that all the kits are replicas of, and yeah they had ally bodies. The best Cobra replica around at the moment has to be a Dax Tojeiro with the funky De Dion self levelling suspension. With a 502cu (thats 8.2 litres to you) big-block Chevy engine in it, with something in the region of 500 effortless bhp. Yeah it's a fake snake, but it's got far better suspension and brakes as well as a dirty great big engine. I still soil myself when I hear one start up :D

I wonder how long the skid marks would have gone on for if there wasnt the cliff :D

Which skid marks are you referring to :lol:

I might be wrong here but wasnt the coupe version, whilst ugly, capable of nearly 200 mph over 40 yrs ago!!!! :twisted:

Eye, that's the bugger... 8)

Check this out, taken at Goodwood festival of speed this year... 8)

Gotta disagree with HarrowVW here, he said he thought it was ugly.....................its automotive SEX!!!! :shock:

Yeah I like the old cobra aswell mate, Im just contradicting someone without any taste :lol:

I know, but any excuse to post a pic of a Cobra! ;) :lol: 8)

Mmmmm Cobra. It's like an instant penis extension :lol: 8)

It was funny looking in the engine bay... it's got a 5.7litre V8 in there and there's still enough room for 2 kids and a napsack! Who needs rear seats :D