VR6Pete

Replacing rear axel bushes - parts list?

Hi everyone,

Replacing rear axel bushes shortly with powerflex ones.

My question is what other parts am I likely to need to do the bolts?

Brake BIAS valve is in good shape so no issue there, what other bots etc... should I order up to complete the job?

Rear axel has never been dropped FYI.

thnx

Pete

Are you planning on tidying up the beam before refitting it? If so you might like to remove the brackets that the beam secures to, to give them a tidy, 3 bolts each side for the brackets. One big nut and bolt that secures the beam to the brackets. Another thing to note is that the bias valve will likely have to come off as is obstructs the big bolt from sliding out that side, (unless the bolt is fitted round the wrong way).

You'll also need the bolts that go through the bottom of the shocks into the beam, one each side and hope the captive nut stays in place(not a big deal if not but makes the removal of the bolt awkward(you can see the nut at the rear of the beam in the holes).

That is it I guess if you are leaving the brakes alone, but best prepare for any of the brake fittings being difficult to remove

Are you planning on tidying up the beam before refitting it? If so you might like to remove the brackets that the beam secures to, to give them a tidy, 3 bolts each side for the brackets. One big nut and bolt that secures the beam to the brackets. Another thing to note is that the bias valve will likely have to come off as is obstructs the big bolt from sliding out that side, (unless the bolt is fitted round the wrong way).

You'll also need the bolts that go through the bottom of the shocks into the beam, one each side and hope the captive nut stays in place(not a big deal if not but makes the removal of the bolt awkward(you can see the nut at the rear of the beam in the holes).

That is it I guess if you are leaving the brakes alone, but best prepare for any of the brake fittings being difficult to remove

No plans for tidying things up on that front.

Already done brake re-furb, bearings, new suspension and break-lines, BIAS valve so really only doing axle bushes on this occasion.

Shouldn't really need any parts other than the bushes, unless you damage something getting it apart, but unlikely. Crap job mind :( enjoy

What's the general consensus on unbolting the rear beam brackets. Thought I had read before that removing them requires a proper alignment afterwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah you'll need to get full four wheel alignment if you remove the brackets, best to find a garage that is happy to do it before you unbolt them as some places won't do it.

I managed to remove my beam and brackets, had them powder coated, painted the underside of car. Reassembled it as best i could by eye/tape measure and apparently it didn't need adjusting when i took it for alignment, I don't know if this was laziness on behalf of the garage or i'd managed to get it spot on.

Drives fine (better than it ever has, also did steering column, suspension etc) But i'll be keeping an eye on tyre wear.

I need to do this, how long did it take roughly in hours?

I've just got mine back. I got a spare rear beam and had it blasted and powder-coated. Had to replace a heap of stuff - the handbrake cable had blown and rusted, and loads of bolts replaced. While that was off I also had new shocks fitted. It took my mechanic 3 and a bit days and was by all accounts a complete pain. Far more work than he anticipated. Prepare for the worst and then some if you're going the whole hog!

I've recently removed the rear axle and got the old bushes out etc. The axle's going in to be powder coated. Once this has been done, can anyone recommend somebody who has the VAG 3111 tool? Or is it best to try and MacGuyver the new bushes in with some kind of home brewed tool?

Can I ask how much for the powered coated rear axle? I'm going to get mine done soon

Can I ask how much for the powered coated rear axle? I'm going to get mine done soon

It was £25 for blasting and £30 for

Powder-coating.

I'm planning on doing this job next week. Does anyone have any tips on removing the old bushes? I've heard people say to burn them out in the past but is there another way that could make a mess of my patio?

I'm planning on doing this job next week. Does anyone have any tips on removing the old bushes? I've heard people say to burn them out in the past but is there another way that could make a mess of my patio?

Drill the rubber out so the centre falls out, then saw cut through the outer shell so it folds out. Simples!!