Sign in to follow this  
kangaroo

Help! Rear wheels stuck on hubs

Help me! Both my rear wheels are seized to the hubs in some way. I've tried twisting, hammering, pulling, etc, and they just won't come free. I'm in a bit of a pickle because I'm halfway through replacing the brake fluid...I guess I should have really checked this before I drained most of it, but its not something you anticipate!!

Any suggestions?

They should come off with some tapping (plastic hammer) on the inside wheel rim and also a lot of rocking by grabbing the wheel top & bottom and pushing/pulling it. Take the centre caps off the wheels and spray loads of Plus-Gas in there to try and help free off the corrosion.

Bummer though! Happens a lot as the rear wheels rarely come off and aren't subjected to constant heat like the front wheels.

How big a hammer have you used :?:

take a sledge hammer and bash the tyre thats how the tyre fitters remove our almost welded on alloy wheels

failing that use a bottle jack between the rear arch and the wheel.

Phew! Crisis over! Cheers for the advice, I sorted it now.

While the car was jacked up I yanked the handbrake on as far as it could go (and i mean pretty damn far, cos the handbrake is crap). Then I lowered the car back on to the ground. As the rear tyre met the tarmac there was a twisting motion that turned the wheel and broke the seized corrosion. Then it was just a case of wiggling the wheel free.

I'm going to clean off the rustyness, but is there anything I can do to prevent this happening again?

Dang, too slow.

PlusGas (WD40 on steroids), a large hammer and a long breaker bar are your best friends when working on old cars :)