ger040

what type of plastic is a front splitter.

As above

need a front splitter 90mm been in contact with vw classic parts who say they are currently seeking a manufacturer

in the mean time i know someone who will attempt to weld my existing splitter but needs to know what type of plastic it is made from

most modern plastic panels are marked with exactly what they are made off but having looked at my splitter all i can see is part number and date of manufacturer

any one any information?

Thanks

Hmmm I would imagine its the same as 80/90's bumper plastic, a body shop would know for sure.

i have checked it against my mk2 plastics but it feels and looks slightly different or maybe it just its age?

The guy just wants to be sure in case he makes a b***s of it

I believe ABS, but I'm sure someone will confirm shortly. If you can remove it there will be some indication stamp on it somewhere.

not sure what type of plastic but i cut strips of plastic off an aerosol lid and used a soldering iron to repair my one it worked fine LOL

i then sanded down and sprayed with plastic textured spray paint.

not sure what type of plastic but i cut strips of plastic off an aerosol lid and used a soldering iron to repair my one it worked fine LOL

i then sanded down and sprayed with plastic textured spray paint.

Top repair!! :D

nice repair stu come to think of it i have a good soldering iron here tempted to have a go!

just looked on the ebay for plastic welding rods and there are so many for various plastics

The splitter does not have any marking on if for what type of material it is - maybe was not required during the nineties when recycling was for the geeks and anoraks!!

Edited by ger040

Cheap and easy fix think it comes up allright.

d02ea1b7fb124c911a964ce25a16f479.jpg

I used upol fine textured bumper paint.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You can get an adapter to fit over the soldering iron to allow you to feed through any plastic strips. I also used some solid copper wire from a mains cable melted in to strengthen the joint. Mine was on the centre console by the way, not the bumper.

that looks first class stu - hate having a nice newly painted car let down by poor plastics

good to know that also fla

Centre console is ABS, small drill bits plastic welded in also help strengthen it, it mostly breaks due to the weight of modern head units compared to the old ones.

As for the front splitter it's a bit more 'rubbery' but should be ABS plastic as its cheap and easy to mould.

I also used some solid copper wire from a mains cable melted in to strengthen the joint.

I like your thinking.

I managed to get a perfect new-ish splitter but I also have 3 with cracks/split in them that I may have to repair

tried both pe and abs plastic welding rods - could not get any of them to bond to the splitter

So done a bit of minor grinding of the split areas to create a gap reinforced the rear of the damaged splitter with additional pvc (used pvc window trim) it was all that was at hand not the prettiest but its at the rear and who is going to see it maybe the MOT man. filled in the joints with flexible body filler, rubbed down with fine wet and dry paper and sprayed the entire splitter with textured bumper paint (thanks STU) and it has come up a treat - very happy looks like a brand new splitter from the front just made my day - this will do until they become available again

Hi - so is splitter PVC as opposed to ABS? Mine has a split in the corner which I had repaired before with Q Bond only to catch it again. So this time round I plan to reinforce the back with some plastic (once I have figured out what plastic will bond) and then tidy up the front with Q Bond again.