GrahamU

Black sun visors

That looks great. Kudos for the ground work and the help to others.

Edited by James.

What did you guys used for the beading around the sunroof inside? I see on easypops and Graham's pictures it is black to match the newly recovered black liner and all I can find is beige or grey? 

I originally dyed an original seal,
But changed it after about ten years, for an exterior sunroof seal !

My visors were dyed black by emu (on here) done many years ago, and still looking good

Campaign one from the factory is black. Same as all the others in design, texture though. It  must have come from something in the VAG stable, but I’m damned if I know.

6 hours ago, dragon green said:

I originally dyed an original seal,
But changed it after about ten years, for an exterior sunroof seal !

My visors were dyed black by emu (on here) done many years ago, and still looking good

Dye is a great idea, I do have a bottle which I'm about to do tests on the sunroof switch. Maybe I'll give it a try! After reading your post, I got interested in trying dye out for the visors and switch. 

16 minutes ago, James. said:

Campaign one from the factory is black. Same as all the others in design, texture though. It  must have come from something in the VAG stable, but I’m damned if I know.

Very interesting, I didn't know that fact! I agree with you, they were not custom made for the handful of Campaign... They've got to be from a different model, perhaps the model that got the famous  OEM black sunroof switch? I'll try to find out! 

7 hours ago, fendervg said:

What about the equivalent ones from a Passat? Did they come in black?

I've been looking quite a bit on this. They all came "including Passat" either in sahara, light beige or grey. The black ones are from MK3 golf and Cabrio. Like it's been said MK3.5 are as close as it gets but the height is longer so they don't tuck in perfectly in the Corrado recessed roof area for them. The mirrors are bigger and the flap covering them makes them bulkier too.

Audi TT's are quite nice, looking close to the Corrado ones but require drilling which is not a huge deal if you're planning on changing your headliner. Looking at GrahamU pictures, these seems to fit in the recessed roof area. Not as bulky with the sliding door mirrors compared to the MK3 ones. 

I guess because of the sunroof and the Corrado being a small car, it could explain why it is harder to find sun visors with the same dimensions. They are very small! 

I think the ones I found in my previous post is from a MK3.5 Cabrio or Polo GTI. they seem to look pretty damn close, even has the tapered edge on one side like the Corrado ones compared to the rest that are just squared. 

https://www.stevensvwspares.com/ebay_listing/361806704111

On 12/13/2022 at 3:29 PM, James. said:

Well I looked and I looked, probably spent too much time on ETKA trying to figure it out. In that Era, I pretty much looked at all models and I can find: light beige, beige, sahara, grey, blue /grey and I can't find black ones! Mystery! 

42 minutes ago, dragon green said:

Thanks for the link. Those links confirms my observations I guess about the MK3 ones. 

I think TT ones are the best choice or those that I found that are some kind of mystery. Searches brings results for a MK3 Cabrio in France for some reason. They are smaller than the American MK3 big mirror sun visors.